uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 17 - @ Purdue

uneblinstu

image.png

Man, this feels like a missed opportunity...

• There must have been more to the story on Cope's T. Not sure if something had been brewing, but it was a weak call.
  • NU have every chance to be in this game. Every time they had a chance to get back in the game and really make things interesting, they literally gave it away.
  • Glynn seemed to struggle today. Frankly, most of the back court did, at least offensively.
  • Roby did some nice things, I thought it was one of his better games, actually.
  • Purdue was allowed to be really physical in the perimeter today, especially early. Really harassed NU into a bunch of turnovers, which may have been the difference in the game.
  • That Haarms kid is skyrocketing up my most annoying player leader board.
  • I'd really like to see NU mix in the press more in the middle of games, not just when they're trying to make a miracle comeback. I'd like to see them ambush teams with it. It seems to produce results just about every time they use it. They don't need to do it a lot, just occasionally.
  • For a team with a dominant front court, NU sure dunked a lot.
  • Jordy didn't play in the 2nd half. He hasn't played much in a bunch of 2nd halves. Why is he still starting?
  • Tanner is solid, but he's got some nuances he's still figuring out. Had a couple chances to pickup some offensive fouls but didn't. I think he'll learn how to pick those up.
  • Thomas Allen going through a few of those Freshman blues?
  • For the second game in a row, the rebounding improved quite a bit after halftime. Let's see if we can get that figured out before the break next time.
  • NU shouldn't fear Purdue if they face them again. Hopefully they get another shot at them in New York.

Alright, that's enough for now. Here's to getting back on track on Tuesday vs. Wisconsin.

View full article

Edited by uneblinstu

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Dont feel like that at all.   Of course it wouldve been nice to win, but we fought hard on the road against a good team.   

Yeah, we didn't come close to even tying this one up, but I'm proud about this team. We lose this one by 30 points on some of our other squads.

3 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Glynn has to be more consistent!!  

Hard to be too effective when the defender is allowed to lean into him the entire game.  At some point, a foul has to be called when you constantly throw your chest into the offensive player.

Pretty good effort.  Purdue is just a better team.

We had at least four steals that we immediately threw back to them and they scored.

Edited by NUtball

I thought throughout the last 30 minutes of this game that we would make a run.  Credit Purdue for not allowing that to happen.  But for the first ten minutes, I think we played equal or perhaps a bit better than Purdue, but hey, it is a forty minute game.

We did not take advantage of opportunities.  We were instead blessed with turnovers (they are never opportune) missed open looks or missed bunnies.  A few players played well, a few had rather pedestrian offensive games and a few played poorly.  We simply have to understand that it takes a team to win. 

I will say the following, with a bit of anguish, but Jordy needs to observe another game or two from the front row.  We have had recent history where a player can pick up his game by watching from the bench for a bit.  He watched the entire second half, but he likely needs another couple of halves with that view.  Certainly if a situation calls for his floor time, then so be it.  But man, we got in that early hole, that we simply couldn't overcome.

And that brings me to Jack.  If we need another player, perhaps it is time that Jack receives another chance.  He can spread the floor, he seems to find the right place to be and he plays with heart and effort.  Provide Jack the 10 to 15 minutes. 

Bottom line, good effort, but effort won't get us to the dance. 

Edited by huskercwg

My takeaways and observations:

Jordy shouldn’t start. Duby and Tanner are better currently.

Wish Roby had more confidence 

We have to value the ball 

Glynn needs to be more consistent 

we need Palmer, Copeland, and Glynn firing on all cylinders to beat the top teams in the Big Ten, but probably not so much against the lower tiered teams...

Onward and Upward

25 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Dont feel like that at all.   Of course it wouldve been nice to win, but we fought hard on the road against a good team.   

They had multiple opportunities to get that lead down under 9 and would have a bad possession, or turn it right back over something like that. I'm not saying NU should have won, but I think they had chances to take it down to the wire.

5 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

They had multiple opportunities to get that lead down under 9 and would have a bad possession, or turn it right back over something like that. I'm not saying NU should have won, but I think they had chances to take it down to the wire.

True....but I guess I view have opportunities to make it closer as different than being an opportunity to win.    We certainly did have a chance to cut the lead...but we never were really within 10 for an extended period of time the entire second half.  

This was a game we needed a good start to put pressure on them at home and that just didn't happen. A lot can be said about Purdue's interior defense but the perimeter defense was highly effective. Watson, Allen and Gill couldn't find shots. I liked us getting scrappy in the 2nd half but when we tried to speed the tempo up we made some gave the ball up or took poor shots. Just gotta keep grinding. This team has improved a ton since our Chumbawumba tubthumping to Michigan St.

Just now, nustudent said:

True....but I guess I view have opportunities to make it closer as different than being an opportunity to win.    We certainly did have a chance to cut the lead...but we never were really within 10 for an extended period of time the entire second half.  

I hear you. I think if you convert a couple of those in the middle of that game and you're playing a 6 or 4 point a game instead of a 10 to 12 point one, you put yourself in position to have a happy flight. Chances were still long, for sure, either way.

And hopefully this is the last sign we need.

We need to cut the 3 headed monster at the 5 down.   Even if it is for just a few minutes a game...we are better served consolidating those minutes.   If/when foul trouble arises...so be it...we'll cross that bridge when it comes.   We don't play too many 'big' teams the rest of the way.  We need to be playing our best players more, rather than the guys who may fit the stereotype of their position

Just now, nustudent said:

We need to cut the 3 headed monster at the 5 down.   Even if it is for just a few minutes a game...we are better served consolidating those minutes.   If/when foul trouble arises...so be it...we'll cross that bridge when it comes.   We don't play too many 'big' teams the rest of the way.  We need to be playing our best players more, rather than the guys who may fit the stereotype of their position

Sign me up.

15 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I have to believe given where we're at in the season that even the coaching staff has to be considering the likelihood that this is a lost year for Jordy.  It happens, even to some good players. Sophomore year can be the trickiest of the bunch. 

38 minutes ago, NUtball said:

Hard to be too effective when the defender is allowed to lean into him the entire game.  At some point, a foul has to be called when you constantly throw your chest into the offensive player.

Remember the play in the first half when Glynn was driving toward the baseline, and one of the Purdue bigs just ran him out of bounds?  Can they do that?

Edited by Swan88

27 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Remember the play in the first half when Glynn was driving toward the baseline, and one of the Purdue bigs just ran him out of bounds?  Can they do that?

Apparently so!  :)

The refs were bad in an equal opportunity kind of way today.  Very inconsistent from one end to the other.  That bald-headed dork must be named Eades.  He always sucks as bad as the other 'Eades' brothers.  T call on Copeland was BS - much worse happens all the time and no call is made.

Edited by NUtball