OT: UCF is a 2018 College Football National Champion

HuskerFever

4 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Yeah, I think they are taking their #1 campaign a bit too far.  There are a number of teams throughout the years who have had similar arguments, so I can respect them for believing they should have been in the mix.

I would say it's too far, except that I think it's clearly just a play to make sure that they have the possibility of playing for a title in the future. Danny White (rightly) recognizes that if he wants to attract (and retain) good coaching talent (and good recruits, etc.), UCF needs to be able to play for a title in a year like this. (Arguably, if there's an 8-team playoff and UCF is in, Scott Frost doesn't come to Nebraska). 

A wise move. I don't think it will have the desired effect this year, but it's one step closer. 

All for the better in my opinion. 

The parade is a bit much.  Also, it would help their cause if someone else acknowledged them as being national champs, rather than solely self-identifying.  I can self-identify myself as a billionaire but I still can't buy a private jet.

Im neutral too it. Seems kinda silly to me but they are going all the way with it. Coaching staff all got the bonuses as if they won the National Championship.

Wouldnt be surprised to players get rings, t shirts, hats, etc.

Would defintely like to see an 8 team playoff tho.

-Get rid of conference championship games AND divisions.  All conferences play 9 games with the regular season champ getting the auto bid. Make a whole bunch of tie breakers after head to head

-All 5 P5 champs, two wildcards, highest rated group of champs.

-Do home field for quarters and semis. National championship played at a neutral site.

-Only allow conference champs to host quarters to emphasize importance of regular season. 

With that format this years playoffs would have been:

(8) UCF @ (1) Clemson

(5) Alabama @ (4) Ohio State

(6) Wisconsin @ (3) Georgia

(7) USC @  (2) Oklahoma

8 minutes ago, khoock said:

Im neutral too it. Seems kinda silly to me but they are going all the way with it. Coaching staff all got the bonuses as if they won the National Championship.

-Get rid of conference championship games AND divisions.  All conferences play 9 games with the regular season champ getting the auto bid. Make a whole bunch of tie breakers after head to head

-Do home field for quarters and semis. National championship played at a neutral site.

-Only allow conference champs to host quarters to emphasize importance of regular season. 

(8) UCF @ (1) Clemson

(7) USC @  (2) Oklahoma

I don't think they'll ever do away with conference title games.  Too much money, and fans generally love them.  That toothpaste ain't goin' back in the tube.  Other than that your idea has merit, especially the part about rewarding top seeds with home games.  I personally would like to see a 6 team playoff, because giving the top 2 teams a bye would reward excellence in the regular season.  In the current system it really doesn't matter where you stack up 1 through 4; as long as you're in, there's no reward for being a higher seed.

32 minutes ago, khoock said:

(8) UCF @ (1) Clemson

(7) USC @  (2) Oklahoma

Just realized i contradicted myself by saying no conference championship games but still using conference championship games results in my seeding lol

It would actually be:

ACC: Clemson or Miami (Depending on tie breaker rules)

Big 12: Oklahoma (tied with TCU but won head to head)

Big Ten: Wisconsin

Pac-12: USC (tied with Stanford but won head to head)

SEC: Auburn (tied with Bama amd Georgia but beat both head to head)

Non AQ: UCF

Wildcard 1&2: Alabama and Georgia (going off of rankings before conf champ results)

PLAYOFFS

(8) UCF @ (1) Clemson

(5) Alabama @ (4) Wisconsin

(6) Georgia @ (3) Oklahoma

(7) USC @ (2) Auburn

Edited by khoock

I think it's kind of a feel good story for UCF, but if I'm a fan of Alabama/Georgia (whoever wins the game), I laugh out loud at UCF and their banner and parade.

Hell, we laugh at Michigan for the co-championship they won in '97, which is a hell of a lot more official than what UCF is getting.

And we mocked Penn State when they wanted a share of the title in '94.

All PR and I'm fine with it. They did the absolute most they possibly could and the country clubbers of college football are crapping on it. It probably cost them their coach, which is our gain. They're not the national champs. Nobody's gonna remember them as national champs. They're rousing some rabbles, likely in hopes of starting a movement to reform the system. They're keeping the conversation about their program alive. For a team like that, that's exactly what they need to do, kitchey as it may be.

Good for them for going undefeated and they should be proud of that but they are taking it way to far with having a parade and hanging a National Championship banner.  You beat a really good team in a bowl game which as many of us know, bowl games really don't matter anyway. Other than that, your body of work is less than desirable.  If they had to play the schedule teams in major conferences have to, they would certainly have a few losses on their record and then this isn't even a discussion.  I'm sure Coach Frost and staff will gladly take their National Championship bonus as they walk out the door. 

4 hours ago, khoock said:

(8) UCF @ (1) Clemson

(7) USC @  (2) Oklahoma

There definitely needs to be a structure to the playoffs. The way the rankings work historically as well as the mosmdern BCS/Playoff era, there's way too much subjectivity to include historically good teams and exclude one-year-and-done teams.

I'm most excited for other teams to follow suit (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/4/16845380/college-football-national-title-ucf-sure-rutgers-toledo-vmi-tulane).

1915 Colorado State

1917 Denver

1918 Washington (MO)

1920 VMI

1922 Drake

1923 SMU

1929 Tulane

1930 Utah

1937 Santa Clara

1941 Duquesne

1950 Wyoming

1956 Wyoming

1960 New Mexico State

1961 Rutgers

1969 Penn State

1969 San Diego State

1969 Toledo

1971 Toledo

1973 Miami (OH)

1975 Arkansas State

1970 Arizona State

1975 Arizona State

1976 Rutgers

1993 Auburn

1998 Tulane

1999 Marshall

2004 Auburn

2005 Utah

2006 Boise State

2008 Utah

2009 Boise State

2010 TCU

11 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

The parade is a bit much.  Also, it would help their cause if someone else acknowledged them as being national champs, rather than solely self-identifying.  I can self-identify myself as a billionaire but I still can't buy a private jet.

Some rating system by Wolfe had UCF #1. That's their basis, from what I've been able to understand.

9 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

FWIW, here's the Peter Wolfe rankings (warning, that website looks like it's straight out of a box from the 1990s):

http://prwolfe.bol.ucla.edu/cfootball/ratings.htm#first

It's clearly not accurate, since it has only one FCS school ranked ahead of Nebraska. :wacko:

7 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Some rating system by Wolfe had UCF #1. That's their basis, from what I've been able to understand.

Didn't know that.  In that case it's really not much different from schools retroactively claiming titles based on the Dickinson System.

Personally, I think the parade may be a way to keep fans interested and sell tickets as their attendance was HORRIBLE last season. Also, it could be a good recruiting tool after they get to watch Tacko Fall with no one else in the crowd. You can go outside in sunny warm Florida and have a party that people might actually attend :huh:

Love it. UCF wants to get under the skin of the committee, Georgia and Bama. You don't like it? Play us.  The fact of the matter is teams like Bama and Georgia will refuse to play a team like Boise and UCF during the regular season and the playoff committee won't let them play in the post-season. UCF has one option left on the table - run your mouth until one of the big boys on the play ground swings first.  Bait one of the big boys into a fight or run your mouth until they do.