uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 16 - @ Northwestern

uneblinstu

34 minutes ago, BigTate said:

Roby, Copeland, Watson, Palmer and Gill! I think we have a basketball team! GBR!

It wasn't an issue last night...but we really need Roby to stay out of foul trouble going forward.  It will be interesting to see what Miles does going forward at the five position.  I think it was about the 12 minute mark in the second half where Jordy once again committed a bad turnover and he was never to be seen again.  I would not be shocked to see Jordy on the bench for the foreseeable future as at this point he can't be trusted with the ball in his hands.   

Ugly, ugly first half - fortunately NW was about as bad - only offensive rebounds kept them ahead.  A bit disappointed in allowing so many offensive rebounds, but when you consider the other team is the local chapter of the Amalgamated Bricklayers Union and most of the misses clanged at least 10 feet from the basket, can't fault our guys too much.

As stated earlier, defense was tough pretty much the entire game.  Great effort.

Obviously, much better second half.  Got ahead, didn't flinch, and put away a wounded opponent.  Great learning experience to instill in these guys that they CAN close out against a decent team.

Looks to me as though Jordy still hasn't learned how to use his size.  He maybe can bulk up more in the next offseason, because he is timid around the basket.  He's 6'11" and what, 260 or 270?  He needs to be able to power up through the defensive hands and at least get fouled.  There's really no reason a 6'8" 235 opponent should dominate him underneath.

Need to hold serve at home, hopefully at least 7-1 or 6-2, and pick off 2 of 3 of the most likely winnable road games against PS, Illinois and Rutgers and see where the chips fall in the B1G tourney.

Edited by NUtball

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I would like to see Palmer get started a little earlier in games, though.  And sustain it for the whole game.  He seems to wait until the second half to really get his game on.

It almost feels like a good running game in football with him. He'll pound away early in the game. Teams are prepared and have the energy to slow him down, but he keeps pounding and those lanes start to open up as teams wear down. He definitely tried to get out and run a bit in the first half but had to pull it back. He's just a battering ram. Keep driving it and eventually they'll wear down. Might not always be true vs. the best teams, but vs. teams like Northwestern, it should be.

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Rutgers two years ago

I did some research on this. That Rutgers team was terrible, so what did we have before that?

• A 14 point win at Wake Forest in Miles' first season.
  • A 13 point win at Texas Tech in 2009.
  • A 15 point win at Miami in 2006, which was technically a neutral site game, I think.
  • A 17 point win at Minnesota in 2003 on the same night that Bo Pelini led the Huskers to a win over Michigan St. in the Alamo Bowl.
  • A 15 point win at #25 Oklahoma in 1999.

So, other than that win at Rutgers, we haven't had a 15 point road win over a conference opponent since 1999. And only four total. We saw a rare bird last night.

59 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

It wasn't an issue last night...but we really need Roby to stay out of foul trouble going forward.  It will be interesting to see what Miles does going forward at the five position.  I think it was about the 12 minute mark in the second half where Jordy once again committed a bad turnover and he was never to be seen again.  I would not be shocked to see Jordy on the bench for the foreseeable future as at this point he can't be trusted with the ball in his hands.   

Id be surprised if we saw him on the bench.   He's been bad all year and it hasn't changed anything.   Still think he'll start and we'll bench him after he struggles.

Great game to watch last night, after the fist half struggles, I like that miles was quick on the trigger with Jordy, and just went with Duby/Tanner/Roby down the stretch. I dont know if that will carry over to Purdue (as we will need his size) but i at least appreciate the nature of Miles recognizing it isnt working, and Duby/Tanner were playing a little bit harder. We have a good team this year, they battle through adversity, and when Copeland/Palmer get going and can match Glynns output where going to be hard to beat. 

Small thing i quite enjoyed was in the last 30 seconds or so, Roby was kinda of wandering around the arc, and Miles yelled at him, pointed at a spot on the arc and told him to stay there, like 2 seconds later Glynn or anton drove in kicked back out to Roby who drilled a 3pt from that spot, i thought it was a fun little moment. 

1 hour ago, bobcat402 said:

Great game to watch last night, after the fist half struggles, I like that miles was quick on the trigger with Jordy, and just went with Duby/Tanner/Roby down the stretch. I dont know if that will carry over to Purdue (as we will need his size) but i at least appreciate the nature of Miles recognizing it isnt working, and Duby/Tanner were playing a little bit harder. We have a good team this year, they battle through adversity, and when Copeland/Palmer get going and can match Glynns output where going to be hard to beat. 

Small thing i quite enjoyed was in the last 30 seconds or so, Roby was kinda of wandering around the arc, and Miles yelled at him, pointed at a spot on the arc and told him to stay there, like 2 seconds later Glynn or anton drove in kicked back out to Roby who drilled a 3pt from that spot, i thought it was a fun little moment. 

I don't know if I agree with the quick trigger on Jordy.  He had a bad two or three minute stretch that culminated with Jordy not catching a feed that should have resulted in a lay-up or dunk.  And unfortunately, that has been the rule rather than the exception so far this season.  I believe we will need Jordy throughout the year.  But so far this year, his bad stretches have outnumbered his good stretches of play.  Hey, he is a college kid with college age kid struggles.  I believe he will come around, but at this time of the year, a turn over here, and a missed bunny there can cost a team a victory.  Jordy needs to find his game, but finding it on the floor during conference play is difficult...at best.

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I don't know if I agree with the quick trigger on Jordy.  He had a bad two or three minute stretch that culminated with Jordy not catching a feed that should have resulted in a lay-up or dunk.  And unfortunately, that has been the rule rather than the exception so far this season.  I believe we will need Jordy throughout the year.  But so far this year, his bad stretches have outnumbered his good stretches of play.  Hey, he is a college kid with college age kid struggles.  I believe he will come around, but at this time of the year, a turn over here, and a missed bunny there can cost a team a victory.  Jordy needs to find his game, but finding it on the floor during conference play is difficult...at best.

i should clarify, i dont think he should have it every game but i liked that last night he has the pulse of the team and knew the spark that Tanner can bring, i think the same spark can be applied when Jordy gets it going. We will most definitely  need him, but i think on a game to game basis we cant risk stagnation with him in, Jordy has the most potential on the team i think if he can figure it out, but right now he's not, he isn't confident, he is slow in his movements and lack explosion, plus i wonder if he truly understands his role or if he has one. I feel that Duby/Tanner understand and our comfortable with their respective roles which makes it easier to give them mins. I want Jordy to figure it out, he's a great kid, talked to him and a few of the guys on NYE, he's one of my favs, i think this just might be a sophomore slump year for him, which is frustrating but we will need his mins against Purdue for sure. 

Over the past 4 games, Jordy stats are averaging:

5pts

7rbs

53% from the field  

.5 blocks

15min

Duby:

.75pts

2rbs

1blk

6.5min

Tanner's last 4 games with minutes:

3pts

3.75rb

1blk

67% from the field

10min

-------

Jordy is a better rebounder than both Duby and Tanner.

Duby is a better post defender and rim protector than Jordy or Tanner, and a more electrifying finisher.

Tanner is a better system player than Jordy or Duby--better defensive positioning and excellent screen setter.  He also doesn't turn the ball over.  

I think, individually, we have some bright-eyed, hard working, inexperienced players at the traditional 5.  Combined, they can be a decent center when they rotate and ride the hot hand.  Jordy is working hard.  He's an underclassmen.  He needs minutes, and we need his size.  He has a clunky game right now, but statistically, he's not hurting us beyond turnovers (which is something to note down the road).  

I too have grown to love Roby at the situational 5, and I think Miles has figured out a great way of doing it--making sure he closes the halves.  Roby is an absolute nightmare to see check into the game in the final 5-7 minutes with a full tank, and that's what our traditional bigs are going to be able to provide for our team.  I really, really, like the rotation right now and how Roby is being utilized.  

-----

Other thoughts:

We have a lot of tough, hard-working kids who like each other.  You can see it.  There's no quit in Palmer at all--even in blowouts.  He gets better at the end of games.  That's heart.

Our defensive intensity was outstanding the entire game.  There were some wonky, unlucky plays, but fate has a way of rewarding those who play the right way, and it was pretty evident that we were the whole time.  The second half looked like the first half deserved to look.

This game, again, shows how far TM has taken this program from a talent standpoint.  There might be questionable production here and there, but there are no true weaknesses on this roster for the first time in decades.  

----

At some point, I said to the television, "Roby... just score, dude.  Literally no one in college basketball can block your shot in the lane."  

47 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Over the past 4 games, Jordy stats are averaging:

5pts

7rbs

53% from the field  

.5 blocks

15min

Duby:

.75pts

2rbs

1blk

6.5min

Tanner's last 4 games with minutes:

3pts

3.75rb

1blk

67% from the field

10min

-------

Jordy is a better rebounder than both Duby and Tanner.

Duby is a better post defender and rim protector than Jordy or Tanner, and a more electrifying finisher.

Tanner is a better system player than Jordy or Duby--better defensive positioning and excellent screen setter.  He also doesn't turn the ball over.  

I think, individually, we have some bright-eyed, hard working, inexperienced players at the traditional 5.  Combined, they can be a decent center when they rotate and ride the hot hand.  Jordy is working hard.  He's an underclassmen.  He needs minutes, and we need his size.  He has a clunky game right now, but statistically, he's not hurting us beyond turnovers (which is something to note down the road).  

I too have grown to love Roby at the situational 5, and I think Miles has figured out a great way of doing it--making sure he closes the halves.  Roby is an absolute nightmare to see check into the game in the final 5-7 minutes with a full tank, and that's what our traditional bigs are going to be able to provide for our team.  I really, really, like the rotation right now and how Roby is being utilized.  

-----

Other thoughts:

We have a lot of tough, hard-working kids who like each other.  You can see it.  There's no quit in Palmer at all--even in blowouts.  He gets better at the end of games.  That's heart.

Our defensive intensity was outstanding the entire game.  There were some wonky, unlucky plays, but fate has a way of rewarding those who play the right way, and it was pretty evident that we were the whole time.  The second half looked like the first half deserved to look.

This game, again, shows how far TM has taken this program from a talent standpoint.  There might be questionable production here and there, but there are no true weaknesses on this roster for the first time in decades.  

----

At some point, I said to the television, "Roby... just score, dude.  Literally no one in college basketball can block your shot in the lane."  

What's crazy in regards to the increase in talent is that when our "death lineup" is on the court, all 5 guys were top 100 players out of high school!

Do not agree Duby is a better post defender, he is a better shot blocker. However he seems to let his guy get where he wants to go and then try to block the shot. Jordy / Tanner try to force guys away from the block a little more. Last night Pardon backed Duby almost under the rim and allowed him to go to his lefty hook which is his go to. Tanner especially bodied him more and made him at least try to go to his right hand. 6/18 overall shooting from a post is not great and I know 2-3 of those makes were lefty hooks on Duby from point blank. So Jordy / Tanner actually did OK on Pardon with post defense man on man, rebounding is another story.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Do not agree Duby is a better post defender, he is a better shot blocker. However he seems to let his guy get where he wants to go and then try to block the shot. Jordy / Tanner try to force guys away from the block a little more. Last night Pardon backed Duby almost under the rim and allowed him to go to his lefty hook which is his go to. Tanner especially bodied him more and made him at least try to go to his right hand. 6/18 overall shooting from a post is not great and I know 2-3 of those makes were lefty hooks on Duby from point blank. So Jordy / Tanner actually did OK on Pardon with post defense man on man, rebounding is another story.

Correct.  Duby is a freak athlete who can make the splash block or dunk..but overall isn't very good.

Couple of things about this year so far from an old man:mellow::

1) Did Allen get in last night?

2) If I remember all summer many where going to be happy that our centers would be a 3 headed monster, it seems like they are and some are not happy, kind of funny.

3) Jordy is in the dreaded sophmore slump that many go through.  We also need to remember that he has only been playing for what? 5 or 6 years. 

4) But he does work hard and he often acts like every ball is his, which is great.  I have seen him as he is the only one diving on the ground for loose balls, and some guys need to know that he is the one who is going to get the rebound and let him have it.:D

5) The guy who I think is the MVP of this team right now is Jack.  He could be a very bad cancer on this team but has embraced the bench leader role, and maybe the class clown.  Hope he stays for next year because he is going to still win a game for us this year or next.  It couldn't be easy to be him but he is showing what it is like to be a leader.

Now I think I will go downstairs and stay there until Monday.;)

BTN guys were talking about our win tonight.  A little about what I remember them saying.  It was the guy who called our game and Andy Katz.

Guy who called our game:  Likes Roby at the 5, says we need to be the aggressor and attack.  Likes our team. 

Andy Katz: Talks about how we have 0 Tier 1 wins but are 3-1 in Tier 2.  Brings up KU game as a Tier 1 that got away.  Said we need to defend the vault.  

Someone stated rhat that they could see us end like 3rd to 7th or something like that if I remember correctly.  Stated we are “a tough team to place right now.”  No one knows what to do with us really, so we need to keep winning.

Edited by hskr4life