uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 16 - @ Northwestern

uneblinstu

6 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

A bad Nebraska team.....lol

i'm not saying we are a great team, but if we make 1 more basket against kansas we are probably getting votes in the top 25.

if we find some sort of consistency at the center position, we'll make the post season.

Edited by TimSmiles

1 minute ago, TimSmiles said:

i'm not saying we are a great team, but if we make 1 more basket against kansas we are probably getting votes in the top 25.

true. So many what ifs... I'm tired. They stole that one, and we usually have that 1 big upset every year, and I was sure that was it. Oh well. I have yet to see a year with multiple big upsets, but a tourney year (might as well be this year) will be the time that happens. really stoked on this team, we're solid. not great, but getting there. This was a fantastic step.

We stole one of those five or six road games that we could steal.

Take the next one and things get REAL interesting.  Fast.

Anyone think we would start conference 2-2 or better?  I heard a LOT of 0-4 talk.

Take care of the vault and sneak a couple more road wins... It is VERY doable (it wouldnt even be very sneaky to win at rutgers or penn state).

Just now, hskr4life said:

Flip the score and there would be posts like that here.  Such is the life when you lose a game you think you should win by 15 points.  Not a single person has credited us though.

Yes, indeed. Such is fandom. There will always be bias and unsubstantiated opinions and hate. Just how it is and how the internet is. Superfandom. 

Yeah I'd like a smidgen of credit too... I don't expect a happy crowd over there. I'd be mad too. ^_^

45 minutes ago, kleitus said:

I like stealing those gifts.

Funny thing is... With our schedule... It gets significantly easier after purdue.  If we win that game we have the inside track for a conference bye and an ncaa bid -- don't kid yourself that isnt a slight exaggeration.

Two things, tho: the first is that Purdue is going to be a tough win. Hard place to play, very good team, and well coached. Great hoops fans, and their homecourt will never be mistaken for Northwestern. Second is that they won't likely snooze on us after tonight. They'll probably take us much more seriously after pounding NW on the road. A smaller third is that Painter's still probably pissed about losing to us last year...:)  I'm not investing too much in the Purdue game, personally. If there's a game that's left that's a likely loss, that's the one. I can live with it, because you're right, after that game, the hill goes downward for the first time for us and there's going to be lots of opportunities for this quickly gelling NU team to make some noise. 

Good defensive effort all night and we hung in there until our death lineup blew it open. 2 things:

1. So how do we get Roby at the 5 lineup more minutes? We got killed on the boards with a big in there so it’s not like we’re sacrificing rebounding. Gotta give Jordy’s minutes to Borch/Duby at this point. 

2. Would have liked to see us pick up their guards 3/4s court and pressure them to see if they held up w/o Mcintosh. 

Heck of a good second half. 

When we started getting defensive rebounds of their misses in the last 5 minutes, I knew the tide had basically turned and the game was in hand.

That seems to be the pattern.

Once we buckle down and start rebounding their misses, and are still scoring on the other end, that's when you know we're probably going to pull it out.

I would like to see Palmer get started a little earlier in games, though.  And sustain it for the whole game.  He seems to wait until the second half to really get his game on.

7 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Then they would have to decide which on of those two does Haas guard.

Might they run more zone?  I thought Painter introduced a 2-3 a few years ago.  Like around the time Miles started tinkering with 1-3-1, or maybe even a bit earlier. 

Although with limited practice time and Nebraska having yet to run Watson/Taylor (or Gill)/Palmer/Copeland/Roby as its primary lineup, it may be unlikely that they drastically increase 2-3 reps this week.

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

It would be nice if Northwestern found themselves and this could count for a signature road win.  I think they're going to go on the road and get thumped by Penn St next though in what will probably be a lost year for them.

It's amazing how untalented they look without McIntosh on the floor.  They still have the potential to be greater than the sum of their parts, but those parts are just not very imposing anymore.

I understand we caught Northwestern at a good time (but they also have had a couple really ugly losses this year with their full complement of players).  But I do not believe we stole anything last night.  We were in an alley fight, and we won the fight.  We earned a win...we did not steal it. 

Also, there likely is not a lot of coaches out there that will rest easy when preparing to play us.  Our reputation (as evidenced by some of the Northwestern fan opinions) lulls the opposing fan bases to sleep a bit.  But I do not believe for a second that Purdue will take us lightly.  They will be prepared, and if we go in and win, we will provide a lot of people the shock and awe that we need to dish out.  Heck, last night, we had three or four plays that had the potential to make national sports news, in and of themselves. 

So we may go and lay an egg against Purdue, but then again, the potential is there to rock their house, especially since their students - I believe - are still out.  We shall see.

And just to compare and contrast what is said when we lose versus the takes from Northwestern fans from last night; revisit the comments made after we lost to St. John's...just saying.