uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 15 - Stetson

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, khoock said:

* DISCLAIMER: I am no bball analyst nor have I seen much of the games this season*...

But should Tanner be getting Dubys minutes? Not trying to over react to just one game but Duby, statistically speaking, doesnt seem to do much except block a couple of shots and commit a plethora of fouls. 

I know Stetson is far from a Big Ten opponent but Duby has barely put up half the numbers TB just put up in a single game against any level of competition.

Not trying to talk down on Duby or over glorify Tanners performance against Stetson. Just posing a serious question that i would like answered by someone with more bball knowledge than myself.

Thanks.

No. Tanner worked hard and had a good game but I don’t think it’s fair to him to have too high of expectations. He is who he is and should be appreciated for what he is. He quite possibly wouldn’t be the best post player on the team if he played for Stetson. When he got minutes in our games against power 5 schools he wasn’t able to finish at all and was not able to guard anyone. The Stetson post shot over him consistently. 

If nothing else, Duby is a real force defensively at the rim. 

Edited by Dean Smith

2 hours ago, imnothipp said:

I disagree a little bit on Jordy being a black hole. He has made some nice passes this year (especially to cutters). Not a lot, but enough that I think it can be a real weapon as the season progresses. Of course, if he was better at hitting the bunnies, it makes everything so much easier.

i just want to see him be effective when he's in the game.  just get 7 and 5 with no turnovers and play a little post defense. that's all we need out of him.

Proud of Tanner making use of that scholarship.

As for him getting Jordy or Duby's minutes in B1G play, no.  It's important to remember how much those guys alter shots inside with their size (Jordy) and athleticism (Duby).  That said, Tanner is plugging away and showing progress.  I'm not as pessimistic about his ceiling as some.  He was a D1 scholarship athlete before he was a basketball player, so I don't think that should be taken lightly.  

20 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i just want to see him be effective when he's in the game.  just get 7 and 5 with no turnovers and play a little post defense. that's all we need out of him.

For the most part, Jordy has been doing what he needs to do the last couple games. He's gotten limited minutes, which is what he deserves but in those minutes he's hustled and rebounded like a maniac. I know the competition was inferior the last couple games but Jordy just needs to provide positives in the time he's given. I think he's done that. Against Stetson I witnessed him grab a board and go back up for the bucket without bringing the ball down--twice. 

Tanner played a bit against some of the stiffer competition earlier this season and many were saying the Tanner Borchardt experiment needs to be over. He had a critically timed good game for us against Stetson. Personally I like the energy Duby gives us. His game against Minnesota was what I hope he can deliver for us in the big ten. I’m happy to see TB progressing into a viable option when we need him. 

I agree that Jordy is starting to play better. My concern is that (I thought) in the last game he had a number of times where he had his defender pinned, and nobody was getting him the ball.  I am not sure of the reasoning, but I was questioning whether his teammates might have lost some trust in his offensive game.

That said, he is an asset on the defensive side of the court, especially in the last two or three games.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, huskercwg said:

I agree that Jordy is starting to play better. My concern is that (I thought) in the last game he had a number of times where he had his defender pinned, and nobody was getting him the ball.  I am not sure of the reasoning, but I was questioning whether his teammates might have lost some trust in his offensive game.

That said, he is an asset on the defensive side of the court, especially in the last two or three games.

I'm not sure if Jordy is actually getting better or just the level of competition he is playing against made him look a little better.  We'll find out when he plays against Pardon at Northwestern.