uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 15 - Stetson

uneblinstu

If we were gonna give games a Friends style title, this one would be: "The One Where Tanner Saves the Day".

• Man, the first, what, 28 minutes or so, it felt like they were still on Christmas vacation. That was some baaaaaaaad basketball.
  • Mercifully, I don't think we'll see that much zone the rest of the year. Nobody in the Big Ten does that.
  • I didn't go back and look, but I'm fairly sure that was our worst night from 3.
  • I feel like we should be a better free throw shooting team than we are.
  • Glynn really struggled today. Miles said in the post game the, for whatever reason, he just couldn't find any creases in that zone. Fairly sure that's why he didn't see much time down the stretch.
  • Roby just can't seem to avoid the foulitis.
  • Thought this might have been one of those games where Thomas Allen could have made a bigger impact.
  • Actually thought Jordy did some good things today defensively and on the boards. He was better around the rim, too. But neither him or Duby saw much action the last 8-10 minutes or so.
  • Good on ya, Tanner. He messed around and nearly got a double-double. We don't win today without his effort. Guessing he earned more playing time tonight.
  • I'm ready for the students to come back. Had some new fans in my section tonight. I'm ready for the regulars to be back for most games, too.
  • Copeland really struggled until the last 10 minutes or so. He got the shots he wanted all night, just didn't fall til the end. Glad they did.
  • Seemed like Palmer was the only one willing to attack the zone. He's so good in transition. Allen is good in the open court, too.
  • Thought Gill and Taylor played well for the most part.

I don't have a lot more. Ready for conference games to start. Hopefully the boys get their heads straight and bring the effort we saw the past few weeks. I think they will.

Happy New Year!

Edited by uneblinstu

- Player of the game is easy to pick.  Nice game Tanner.

- Jordy did not play bad.  Here is my issue, he was isolated with his defender pinned behind him, and nobody would give him the ball.  That tells me a story.  Perhaps it shouldn't but, I am sorry, it does.  It tells me that his teammates do not trust his offensive game.

- Everyone else played below expectations.  Hate to say it, but we should have won this game by 20+.  Yet our complete offensive game was MIA. 

Okay, with as poorly as we played on the offensive side of the ball, we did defend okay, and bottom line -- we won.  Given the lapses during the past years, that cannot be overstated.  We won a game when our focus seemed to be on the upcoming weeks, and not on this game.  Sooo, I will say nice win, and now we move on to games that will be tough day in and day out. 

One more thing to add.  It is cold as heck outside, yet the fans showed up...we were certainly not loud, but that (in part) was because it was a hard game to watch.

If we just hit a few of those shots in the first 10 minutes that we normally hit, the game is completely different. Some nights the shots fall and sometimes they don't. Tonight they didn't and we still walked away with a victory so I'm not too worried.

We need to find a way to beat NW on Tuesday and all will be better again.

6 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Let's at least get past our 6-win conference slump we tend to find ourselves in every year first.

59 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

- Player of the game is easy to pick.  Nice game Tanner.

- Jordy did not play bad.  Here is my issue, he was isolated with his defender pinned behind him, and nobody would give him the ball.  That tells me a story.  Perhaps it shouldn't but, I am sorry, it does.  It tells me that his teammates do not trust his offensive game.

While I thought tanner was a nice surprise, I really think miles should’ve given Jordy more minutes. This was his best game of the year and more minutes down the stretch hopefully would’ve built up some confidence. 

11 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Jordy is a black hole on offense: once the ball goes in to him, it generally doesn't come back out.   It's OK to be a ball hog in the post when you're Shaq in his prime, but it's not OK when you're terribly inefficient.  Ultimately Jordy either needs to make a lot more shots or learn to pass better out of the post.  If he figures out how to do either of those things, I imagine you'll see the ball going to him more.

6 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Jordy is a black hole on offense: once the ball goes in to him, it generally doesn't come back out.   It's OK to be a ball hog in the post when you're Shaq in his prime, but it's not OK when you're terribly inefficient.  Ultimately Jordy either needs to make a lot more shots or learn to pass better out of the post.  If he figures out how to do either of those things, I imagine you'll see the ball going to him more.

He's a much better passer than last year.  His assist % has doubled so his passes are leading to scores.

* DISCLAIMER: I am no bball analyst nor have I seen much of the games this season*...

But should Tanner be getting Dubys minutes? Not trying to over react to just one game but Duby, statistically speaking, doesnt seem to do much except block a couple of shots and commit a plethora of fouls. 

I know Stetson is far from a Big Ten opponent but Duby has barely put up half the numbers TB just put up in a single game against any level of competition.

Not trying to talk down on Duby or over glorify Tanners performance against Stetson. Just posing a serious question that i would like answered by someone with more bball knowledge than myself.

Thanks.