Ohio St. vs. Nebraska Game Thread

Bugeaters1

the good: Cain is pretty darn good and having Kissinger back.

the bad: wow-------hannah's passing boggled the mind at times, she's not alone though

glaring difference in athleticism not to mention offensive firepower

have to admit, much closer than i thought it would end up. give the huskers credit for defensive effort.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I'll be the first to say it: Nicea has got to shoot the ball!! Doesn't even look at the basket half the time. She's way too athletic not be aggressive on offense. It allows the defense to stand and just pick off her passes. Even if the shot doesn't go in it makes the defense have to at least respect you. I love how Maddie has become that kind of player this year. She may not be the best shooter, but her aggression makes her a tough player!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I was a little concerned we were going to get buried when we got down by 17.  But we fought back and refused to go away.  Wish we wouldn’t have ended with so many turnovers - might have pulled off an upset, but I think that situation will improve over time.  Also like that we aren’t a one person show and anyone can hit a key shot.

Nice effort by the Cornhuskers.  OSU is just a little longer and more athletic.  I just saw the 2nd half, but they made perimeter passing very difficult and had several key steals late in the game.  Some of that is amplified by lazy passing, which has plagued Nebraska for years, even when they had good teams.

I'll be the first to say it: Nicea has got to shoot the ball!! Doesn't even look at the basket half the time. She's way too athletic not be aggressive on offense. It allows the defense to stand and just pick off her passes. Even if the shot doesn't go in it makes the defense have to at least respect you. I love how Maddie has become that kind of player this year. She may not be the best shooter, but her aggression makes her a tough player!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Maybe Dad needs to coach her up and get some fire in that belly. And the look on the faces of that Kelsey Mitchell and that number 4 when Nicea was guarding them and tip the balls or stole the ball from those girls look dumbfounded that she did that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmmmm,  I rather agree with Kansas Husker.  I thought the difference was experience more than anything else.  I think I heard the announcers say Ohio State is the defending champ and mostly upperclassmen.  Their experience shows in how well they moved the ball.  I really don't have any complaint about our athleticism and think we match up well with anyone in the conference.  Our Defense holding Ohio State to 20 points below their Average per game is evidence of our length and athleticism.  A little improvement in our shooting and this game goes down to the wire.

In the game it looked like OSU had lots of steals...and the stats show that. We get fewer chances to score...and our turnovers. Same deal we lose a chance to score. Bad passes. 

We didn't shoot horribly..(could have been better.)  With their quickness, They took away our chances at 3's. so we  didn't get the  opportunities  for 3's

They're no. 12 in country for reasons, and they used them, along their talent and experience... against us.....we lack the experience  to deal with it...... enough. (particularly early in the game)

We gave them a run for their money, and you could see it on their faces in the fourth.  We won the forth qtr. Coming in, I imagine they thought it would be a laugher......but  in the end ...not so much.

You could tell coach wanted this one she looked pretty determined. ...as did the players.  Good game for us considering how quickly we've come thus far...and where we were a year ago. 

Like some one else said..we're going to win a few  in the B1G. Overall we're still a a work in progress.

We seem to have settled somewhat on the main 7 or 8....and the  bench continues to add bench points, and good minutes,  Darrien had some good play/effort last night, inside the lane. 

I didn't mention the obvious...our defense was the difference where we could remain in contention.

Edited by redsteve

It is harder for me to have an accurate picture of the team, since I don't get to see them game in and game out.

Nevertheless, I have a comparison to last year, and I see a team with lots of potential. The free throws and turnovers are concerning, but their chemistry is much improved. Despite getting socked in the mouth early, the Huskers fought back and will win some B1G games. However, I could see us having a not good record in single digits decisions.

Our vastly improved defense including much better rebounding will keep us in a lot of games but to turn those closer games into wins will take a more consistent 3 point shooting.  The potential is there and necessary since our guards are not great at finishing at the rim.  

Huskers Battle Back But Fall to Ohio State

Courtesy NU Athletic Communications

Thu, December 28, 2017

Maddie Simon led the Huskers with 14 points, six rebounds and four assists against No. 12 Ohio State.

Courtesy Stephanie Carpenter/Nebraska Communications

Maddie Simon led the Huskers with 14 points, six rebounds and four assists against No. 12 Ohio State.

Lincoln - Nebraska held No. 12 Ohio State to its second-lowest point total of the season, but the Huskers could not muster enough offense to knock off the defending Big Ten champion Buckeyes in a 73-61 loss at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Thursday.

The Huskers slipped to 9-5 on the season and 0-1 in the Big Ten, while Ohio State improved to 12-2 and 1-0 in the conference.

All-American Kelsey Mitchell led the Buckeyes with 25 points, one under her season average, while Linnae Harper added 14 points, including a pair of big buckets midway through the fourth quarter. Sierra Calhoun was the only other Buckeye in double figures with 13 points, as Nebraska held the nation's highest scoring offense nearly 19 points under its season average. Prior to the game, only No. 14 Duke, who held OSU to 60, had kept the Buckeyes from scoring at least 83 points in a game.

Nebraska got 14 points, six rebounds and a career-high-matching four assists from junior forward Maddie Simon, while freshman center Kate Cain contributed 14 points, eight rebounds and a pair of blocks. Those two Huskers combined to hit 12-of-21 shots from the field, including 2-of-4 threes by Simon. Unfortunately, the rest of the Huskers combined to go just 12-for-35.

Sophomore point guard Hannah Whitish gave the Huskers three players in double figures with 12 points, five rebounds and four assists on 3-of-8 shooting from the field.

Freshman guard Taylor Kissinger also made a significant contribution with eight points in her return after missing the past six games with a knee injury. Kissinger, who entered the game as Nebraska's leading scorer after scoring 14.0 points per game through her first seven contests as a starter, played 15 minutes off the bench. Her three-pointer with three minutes left in the game cut Ohio State's lead to eight points at 67-59. 

Whitish got a pair of free throws with 1:21 left to keep the margin at eight points, but a bucket by Mitchell with a minute left pushed the Buckeye lead back to double digits in the final minute.

Nebraska kept the Buckeyes within striking distance despite falling behind by 18 points late in the third quarter. The Buckeyes kept that 18-point margin early in the fourth at 60-42, before the Big Red battled back.

Senior guard Emily Wood sparked the rally with a three-pointer, before Jasmine Cincore and Whitish hit back-to-back shots to trim the OSU margin to 60-49 with 7:18 left and force the second timeout in 1:05 by Ohio State.

Harper then made two big plays to quickly push the margin back to 15 points, before Cain, Simon and Whitish fueled a 7-0 Husker run in 1:15 to cut the margin to 64-56 with 5:00 left in the game.

As a team, Nebraska hit 41.1 percent (23-56) of its shots, including 51.9 percent (14-27) in the second half. The Huskers were 4-for-9 from three-point range in the second half after going just 2-for-12 from long range in the first 20 minutes. Nebraska hit 9-of-14 free throws for the game, including 5-of-6 in the second half. Nebraska outrebounded Ohio State, 39-36, but lost the turnover battle, 23-15.

The Buckeyes hit 42.9 percent (27-63) of their shots, including 34.8 percent (8-23) of their three-pointers, and connected on 11-of-14 free throws (.786).

Ohio State used a 14-1 surge early in the first quarter to jump out to a 17-5 lead after Nebraska led 4-3 in the opening moments. But the Huskers turned down the tempo and held the high-scoring Buckeyes to just two field goals in the final 4:50 of the quarter, outscoring OSU 10-5 to trim the margin to 22-15 at the end of the quarter.

The Huskers scored on their opening possession of the second quarter to cut the Buckeye lead to 22-17, but then went more than four minutes without scoring. However, the Big Red continued to defend and trailed just 27-21 after an Eliely layup with 4:54 left in the half.

Mitchell, who had 13 first-half points, scored OSU's final four points of the half to give the Buckeyes a 34-24 halftime lead. The 34 points tied for the third-fewest points scored in an opening half this season by Ohio State.

As a team, the Huskers hit just 31 percent (9-29) of their first-half shots, including 16.7 percent (2-12) from three-point range. Nebraska went 4-of-8 at the free throw line and was outrebounded, 22-21, in the half. Cain led the Huskers with seven points and five rebounds, while Kissinger added five points off the bench.

The Big Red held Ohio State to just 36.7 percent (11-30) shooting, including 4-of-12 threes (.333). The Buckeyes went 8-of-10 at the line and won the first-half turnover battle, 11-8. Harper had eight points and six boards for the Buckeyes to support Mitchell's 13 points.

The Huskers open a three-game Big Ten road swing by traveling to Minneapolis to take on Minnesota New Year's Eve. Tip-off between the Big Red and the Golden Gophers is set for 2 p.m. with a live video stream on BTN Plus.