Bracketology. ***Spoiler: We're not in it yet.***

uneblinstu

35 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

It probably isn't worth tracking just yet, but here's the latest one from Joey Brackets.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

We're not on the radar yet.

If we had won the KU game, we probably would be on the radar.  Or actually if we would have just flipped any of our losses to a win, we'd be getting considered.  The life of an NU basketball fan.

tOSU is probably on the bubble now based off of wins against Michigan and Wisconsin. 

This projection expects Minnesota to struggle.

4 of 5 losses projected to be in with only SJU being on the bubble. 

Assuming a win tomorrow, we have 16 chances to win 10-11 games.  Should be a very interesting next two months.    

I'd recommend following http://bracketmatrix.com/ as the season rolls along. It takes ESPN's bracket as well as brackets from 31 other outlets and pairs them to find an average seed for each team. As of now, Nebraska isn't projected making it in any of them.

EDIT: Since I'm still relatively new to the board, if you guys already follow this site pretty regularly my bad. GBR

Edited by OmahaHusker

51 minutes ago, Donkey said:

tOSU is probably on the bubble now based off of wins against Michigan and Wisconsin. 

This projection expects Minnesota to struggle.

4 of 5 losses projected to be in with only SJU being on the bubble. 

Assuming a win tomorrow, we have 16 chances to win 10-11 games.  Should be a very interesting next two months.    

17+ chances

42 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I'd recommend following http://bracketmatrix.com/ as the season rolls along. It takes ESPN's bracket as well as brackets from 31 other outlets and pairs them to find an average seed for each team. As of now, Nebraska isn't projected making it in any of them.

EDIT: Since I'm still relatively new to the board, if you guys already follow this site pretty regularly my bad. GBR

Eight big ten teams show up on there, five in the dance. That's about right, I think. NU can compete with all those on the list after the first two, I think.

15 hours ago, bigred4 said:

The biggest issue we will have is lack of quality wins.  Really there are 2 maybe 3 left in the regular season (@Purdue, Mich, @MInny).  That is why the Kansas game was so big.  Will probably take at least 21 wins to get in which is definitely doable with the schedule.

Yeah, but no bad losses either.  How many bubble teams can say they have zero losses to +100 RPI teams?  Because if we do get to around 10 or 11 conference wins, and everyone else basically performs as expected (other than losing to Nebraska), then we've got a real chance at having no losses outside the top 100 and a solid overall record.  That IMO should be enough to dance.  Well, assuming we don't have an Incarnate Word game tonight anyway.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Yeah, but no bad losses either.  How many bubble teams can say they have zero losses to +100 RPI teams?  Because if we do get to around 10 or 11 conference wins, and everyone else basically performs as expected (other than losing to Nebraska), then we've got a real chance at having no losses outside the top 100 and a solid overall record.  That IMO should be enough to dance.  Well, assuming we don't have an Incarnate Word game tonight anyway.

True.  Also the committee is no longer ranking wins by top 50, 100 etc.  They have 4 "tiers" that are different based on home and away games.  Will be interesting to see how that will affect teams compared to the old system.  Right now 4 of our losses are Tier 1 and the other is Tier 2.  None of our wins are Tier 1, and 1 is Tier 2.

Edited by bigred4

Talk to me after purdue -- win or lose.

It is a tough matchup... We dont necessarily have to win just make it interesting for most of the game.

I want to see what we do.  That may sound simplistic but... Let it all hang out there boys.  Nobody giving us a shot any way... Why not?

8 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

beating purdue would safely put us in the field assuming we get to 19-20 wins.

Definitely not. Guys, our SOS is going to drag us down if we end up around the 20 win mark. Don't you remember feeling great when the conference schedules were released saying that we got a pretty good deal out of it? The flip side of that is needing more wins (alongside our non-conference SOS which is also not good). I think 22 wins is necessary to feel decent about chances, 23 wins would be a lock. 21 = out.

3 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Definitely not. Guys, our SOS is going to drag us down if we end up around the 20 win mark. Don't you remember feeling great when the conference schedules were released saying that we got a pretty good deal out of it? The flip side of that is needing more wins (alongside our non-conference SOS which is also not good). I think 22 wins is necessary to feel decent about chances, 23 wins would be a lock. 21 = out.

Not gonna argue math with an actuary. But to clarify, are you saying that a 12-6 conference mark (which would get us to 21 wins BEFORE the conference tourney) is not going to be good enough unless we win one in the tournament? In short, does your 22-win projection include whatever happens in the tournament?

16 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Well if Kansas would stop losing and help a former conference foe out.

12-6 would put us as a first round bye in the b1g tourney.

Odds are, the committee looks past the rpi at that point and takes us because the b1g likely has 5-6 teams.

11-7 might do it with a top 4 finish.

He is right with the math I think but more goes into it than rpi. Not much more... But more.

15 minutes ago, kleitus said:

Odds are, the committee looks past the rpi at that point and takes us because the b1g likely has 5-6 teams.

11-7 might do it with a top 4 finish.

He is right with the math I think but more goes into it than rpi. Not much more... But more.

The Big Ten is not going to do us much favors in terms of RPI this year.  It's probably crucial we beat teams like Rutgers/Iowa/Indiana.  With that said, I can't imagine we get left out of we find a way to win 11 Big Ten games in the regular season.  Last nights game was huge as I think we will be a very tough out at home.  Probably won't happen but I don't see why this team couldn't win 8 Big Ten games at home. 

28 minutes ago, kleitus said:

12-6 gets us a double bye easily.  Last year Minnesota got a double bye (fourth place finish) with an 11-7 record.  Illinois finished 9th and got a first round bye with an 8-10 record.

17mbbtournamentbracket.pdf

Edited by 49r

49 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Not gonna argue math with an actuary. But to clarify, are you saying that a 12-6 conference mark (which would get us to 21 wins BEFORE the conference tourney) is not going to be good enough unless we win one in the tournament? In short, does your 22-win projection include whatever happens in the tournament?

Yes, that is what I'm saying. 22 wins including the conference tournament. I could be too aggressive with this thinking but am just not seeing many quality wins otherwise on the resume.