Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Papa Gordon

Times Change I Guess

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

 

by "voice" I mean the words they used, the way they wrote and the way it "sounded"

 

It was in a way that made people think the person was older, but as they wrote more the style changed and it became younger.

 

I guess it is because I had to teach writing for 18 years to 2nd graders that I use these ideas and words.  Maybe the english teachers on here can explain it better.  I think they may know what I am talking about.

 

 

 

Believe me, I get what you were driving at.

I just want to know how old "an old man" is. As I fear it may be you and me!

God forbid, soylent green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, trickey said:

 

Believe me, I get what you were driving at.

I just want to know how old "an old man" is. As I fear it may be you and me!

God forbid, soylent green.

 

Easy answer.  An old man is one generation above your current age.  It's a moving target, that way you're perpetually "getting old" but never actually old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some harsh people on this board. Maybe I don't belong here anymore. A guy expresses his opinion and everyone rips and belittles him? For what? because you don't agree...

Wow! I guess times have changed. I thought this was Nebraska, where people were supposed to be nice. If you don't agree with him that is fine, but name calling? Really, is that where we are. Pretty sad in my humble opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the level of criticism on this board sometime reaches the degree of being stoned with marshmallows. Actually I enjoy visiting trolls who liven up the board during the slow times (like this week). Now I've got to get busy and rev up the old combine.

Edited by jimmykc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigTate said:

There are some harsh people on this board. Maybe I don't belong here anymore. A guy expresses his opinion and everyone rips and belittles him? For what? because you don't agree...

Wow! I guess times have changed. I thought this was Nebraska, where people were supposed to be nice. If you don't agree with him that is fine, but name calling? Really, is that where we are. Pretty sad in my humble opinion.

 

No, people are not ripping him because they disagree with his opinion.  They're ripping him because he appears to be a very sad, sad, little man who pops up on the board periodically, but always under a  different name.  His most infamous profile was "kidney" and he is a self-proclaimed great coach (due to his vast experience coaching junior high girls basketball).  Stick around the Haymarket Hardwood long enough BigTate, and you too will see multiple iterations of good ol' kidney.  Personally I can't imagine having so much free time that you resort to making a bunch of user profiles for a team that you don't like, pretend to be a fan of said school, and then intentionally say mind-boggling drivel to attempt to make that team's fans look like idiots.  The problem with this tactic (in addition to being a tremendous waste of time) is that once people catch on to the shtick it just makes the moron's actual fanbase look even worse, not the fanbase he's impersonating.

 

All that being said, is this an actual kidney sighting or is it some new loon?  @hhcdimes? 

Edited by aphilso1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigTate said:

There are some harsh people on this board. Maybe I don't belong here anymore. A guy expresses his opinion and everyone rips and belittles him? For what? because you don't agree...

Wow! I guess times have changed. I thought this was Nebraska, where people were supposed to be nice. If you don't agree with him that is fine, but name calling? Really, is that where we are. Pretty sad in my humble opinion.

 

I try to let people have their say on here even if it is different than mine or what we as a Husker group think.  I really enjoy when we have somebody come on here and we have lively banter on here.  BUT when somebody comes on here just to stir the pot and I am not in a good mood I will call them out.  I try to be repectful, however I will fight fire with fire.

 

I just think that if you read what this person has to say and how he/she wrote it,  it was written to stir the pot.  If you feel that we have some faults, which we do, then come out and talk about them.  Not in some weird when I coached in the 60's I didn't let the hair grow over my players ears.  Then talk about listening to a game in Feb. with your dad but earlier it sounded like he was coaching during this time.  

 

See even my last paragragh doesn't even make much sense.:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BigTate said:

There are some harsh people on this board. Maybe I don't belong here anymore. A guy expresses his opinion and everyone rips and belittles him? For what? because you don't agree...

Wow! I guess times have changed. I thought this was Nebraska, where people were supposed to be nice. If you don't agree with him that is fine, but name calling? Really, is that where we are. Pretty sad in my humble opinion.

 

The original poster has invented a persona in order to get a reaction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is something to be said about the original post and it is not in regards to Nebraska basketball but ‘Generation Entitled’ in general.  

 

No no longer can a coach lay into a player ala Bobby Knight. When a player does something wrong most parents want to point the finger at the coach rather than at their athlete. This has caused coaches to change the way they coach, discipline, and recruit. The ‘aau/pay for play/travel ball’ has made this more of an issue because kids don’t go out and work on their own anymore. It’s much more fun to practice once a week and play 3-7 games on a weekend.  This has basically become the accepted way of getting to become a ‘better’ player. Obviously you can’t lump all travel play leagues and coaches into this because some are really good for the sport.  But this has become the norm where as kids working in their driveways, at the playground, or obtaining keys to the gym has went the way of the dodo. 

 

If your 5 best players want to ‘wear their hoods up’ or something of the sort are you going to sit your five best players?  Times have changed for sure and coaches have had to adapt although many times this includes sacrificing fundamentals because it is much more fun to stand around shooting 3s than learning how to actually catch the ball and get into triple threat or a variety of other fundamentals that aren’t routinely practiced. 

 

So, without sounding like too much of an old fuddy duddy I sort of agree with the fundamentals thing although it isn’t a Nebraska thing it’s a 2017 thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TZAHL said:

I think there is something to be said about the original post and it is not in regards to Nebraska basketball but ‘Generation Entitled’ in general.  

 

No no longer can a coach lay into a player ala Bobby Knight. When a player does something wrong most parents want to point the finger at the coach rather than at their athlete. This has caused coaches to change the way they coach, discipline, and recruit. The ‘aau/pay for play/travel ball’ has made this more of an issue because kids don’t go out and work on their own anymore. It’s much more fun to practice once a week and play 3-7 games on a weekend.  This has basically become the accepted way of getting to become a ‘better’ player. Obviously you can’t lump all travel play leagues and coaches into this because some are really good for the sport.  But this has become the norm where as kids working in their driveways, at the playground, or obtaining keys to the gym has went the way of the dodo. 

 

If your 5 best players want to ‘wear their hoods up’ or something of the sort are you going to sit your five best players?  Times have changed for sure and coaches have had to adapt although many times this includes sacrificing fundamentals because it is much more fun to stand around shooting 3s than learning how to actually catch the ball and get into triple threat or a variety of other fundamentals that aren’t routinely practiced. 

 

So, without sounding like too much of an old fuddy duddy I sort of agree with the fundamentals thing although it isn’t a Nebraska thing it’s a 2017 thing

 

Those are some fair points.  But everyone is operating under the same environment, so if you're a good coach you find a way to adapt.  As far as the game shifting to being more perimeter dominated, it's happening because teams are winning by raining threes not just because shooting from deep is "much more fun."  Personally I don't find three-point oriented offenses as fun to watch, but I'd rather watch my team win that way than play inside-out and lose.  I do think we're only a couple years away from the NCAA extending the 3pt line to NBA range; if and when that happens, the balance may shift back toward being able to win in the paint.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 12:23 PM, hhcdimes said:

 

The original poster has invented a persona in order to get a reaction. 

I guess i was not aware that this person was a troll. I am and have been a husker basketball fan since the 80's. I apologize if i offended anyone with my remarks and ill try to keep up. It just seemed a little much from my uneducated position. GBR!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BigTate said:

I guess i was not aware that this person was a troll. I am and have been a husker basketball fan since the 80's. I apologize if i offended anyone with my remarks and ill try to keep up. It just seemed a little much from my uneducated position. GBR!

 

Your cool Bigg'n you will start to see "him" after you have been on here awhile.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×