uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 14 - Del State

Huskerpapa

Wow, they were a bad team.  We sort of acted like a full cat, and were simply playing with the mouse.  That said, we did move the ball well and had a lot of assists per baskets made.  Nice to see.

- Glynn is struggling.  His shot is flat and he looks frustrated.  Made some passes that were on target, or appeared to be on target, but ended up being turned over.  Also took the breath of the crowd away, but thankfully he does not appear to be hurt.

- Anton had another good performance.  Man he looks smooth.  Great to see.  We are rolling up on his awful anniversary.

- Thomas also had a good game.  Missed a couple of open looks, but his stroke is solid.  He is also starting to look comfortable. 

- James is solid, he seems to be able to get to the rim anytime he wants. 

- Evan again looked good.  Steady eddy.

- Jack and Thor both had loved ones in the crowd.  Glad they both got minutes and both rang up three's.

- Jordy looked a bit better tonight.  He hustles and he made some nice shots and passes.  He is still not back to where we need him.

- Not much from Duby tonight. 

- Isaac started out great, but then sort of melted into the background. 

- Isaiah had a great dunk, defended well and rebrounded well.  I would love to see him more involved on offense.

Again, a win is a win.  I thought we should have won by 30.  So I was a bit disappointed with the way we won.  But we did show some good offensive movement, and that is good to see. 

Glynn may be struggling to score but he made the crowd gasp with ooh's and aah's with some of the moves he made tonight. He is a very good point guard, and even more important he's a great mentor to out next point guard...who looks to also be a very good point guard.

We looked like we were out there practicing stuff, which probably explains the smaller than expected margin of victory. Against Northwestern and Purdue the guards aren't going to give up easy layups to make some of the silly interior passes they tried tonight. But that's how you learn.

I also am starting to kind of like the Roby kid, holy moly!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

Coach talked post-game about working on Isaiah to be more aggressive.  "He's too nice out there" I think he said.  Agree with that.  Robes needs a bit more junkyard dawg in his game.  He can score in so many ways.  Said he's going to be playing professionally for a long time.  

I wonder how many pros we have on this team. I think we've got 4-5. Not sure any of them are NBA level, but I think there are that many that play somewhere at least internationally. That's a team that should go dancing.

If we hit twenty wins in the big ten, even in a down year, we will be in...

Including the tournament obviously.

Assuming we win and are 10-5 going back into conference play... I see zero games we cant win with purdue being the hardest game.

We should also get hot down the stretch with the bulk of the "easy" games there.  That's good for tourney shots.

Games we should win against the lower half of the conference at home imo :

Wisconsin at home

Illinois at home

Iowa at home

Rutgers at home

Penn state at home

Indiana at home

Games we should win but might not :

Penn state on road

Rutgers on road

If we simply take care of those 8 games and "sneak" two more wins  (not exactly a stretch) we should be fine or damn close.  Maybe need a tourney win to clinch it.

Other winnable games :

Michigan at home

Northwestern on the road

Wisconsin on the road

Maryland at home

Illinois on the road

Harder games :

Ohio state on the road

Minnesota on the road

Purdue on the road

If you look at it that way, it looks flat out manageable.. And I think at this point I would be very disappointed if we dont make the dance.

Edited by kleitus

I missed the game last night.  Didn't watch it or even catch any of the radio broadcast.  But just from looking at the box score it appears the coaching staff approached this game with the mindset of keeping guys fresh.  Here are the only five Huskers to get more than 20 minutes of playing time:

26-Allen

25-Roby

24-Jordy

24-Palmer

23-ET

Cat toying with the mouse analogy mentioned earlier was perfect.

This team has so many scoring options, it's able to make up for an off night by 2 of the 3 top guys and still top 80 points and win easily. Not sure we've had that very often in recent past. 

Normally we'd need all 3 scorers going to have a shot against B1G level competition, but I think if one of these guys is off or in foul trouble, we have another 4 guys who could score 10+ on any night and pick up for them and keep us rolling. 

Loved Roby's aggressiveness/confidence last night - the more he does, the better. 

Thought Jordy was better, partly because we didn't try to force feed him as much early. DSU had some size, which isn't always the case in these buy games, so they challenged us inside, which should build some confidence.

We're nicely developing as a team that can score at all 3 levels, which is going to make us dangerous in the B1G. So much improvement from mid-November to now. Hopefully we can keep that trajectory going, because I think there's still a lot of room for this team to get better.

I'm very pleased with what I've seen through 14 games. Huge game Jan. 2 at NW. Steal that one on the road, and it could be a really fun couple of months.

3 hours ago, kleitus said:

Assuming we win and are 10-5 going back into conference play... I see zero games we cant win with purdue being the hardest game.

We should also get hot down the stretch with the bulk of the "easy" games there.  That's good for tourney shots.

Games we should win against the lower half of the conference at home imo :

Wisconsin at home

Illinois at home

Iowa at home

Rutgers at home

Penn state at home

Indiana at home

Games we should win but might not :

Penn state on road

Rutgers on road

If we simply take care of those 8 games and "sneak" two more wins  (not exactly a stretch) we should be fine or damn close.  Maybe need a tourney win to clinch it.

Other winnable games :

Michigan at home

Northwestern on the road

Wisconsin on the road

Maryland at home

Illinois on the road

Harder games :

Ohio state on the road

Minnesota on the road

Purdue on the road

If you look at it that way, it looks flat out manageable.. And I think at this point I would be very disappointed if we dont make the dance.

This 

I think Miles finally has a team full of guys who fit his offense pretty well.  Because of this, I think the offense looks better.

I didn’t get to watch but it was about what I expected.  It’s tough to beat any team by 20+ these days.  I also guerentee you that lower tier teams look at Nebraska as an opportunity to pull one out.  I don’t think that perception is there with teams like Duke and KU.  That’s why you see so many lobsided games with better teams.

The Big 10 is sure down.  How in the heck did NW lose it’s ACC/B1G game to Georgia Tech.  Their terrible (GT).  Rutgers is EKGing and Penn State has looked like it regressed a little.  If there was ever a year we could make a solid run, this is it.  We have played two of the 4 toughest B1G on our schedule already.  We’re 1-1.  We also get the third toughest game in early Jan while students are on break.  Huge there.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, our schedule at the end of the year is as easy as a B1G schedule as you can probably get.  We should win 4 of the last 5.  So the question is... can we find 7 wins in our next 12 games.  I think that is completely reasonable.

4 hours ago, kleitus said:

I'm not quite convinced of that. With the Big Ten being what it is this year, there aren't really any wins available like we had at MSU, for instance or even at home vs. Wisconsin. I think that means we need an extra win or two since we missed our chances at them in the non-con. 

If they take care of business, we'll get a pretty clear idea of how much needs to be done down the stretch as the bracketologists fill us in on everything.

Edited by uneblinstu