uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 13 - UTSA

uneblinstu

Some observations:

---USTA played Oklahoma tough -- lost by a score that's roughly comparable to ours (85-97)

----What's with Copeland doing a little jump on his free throw?  It looks bad -- like he's lost confidence in his shot.

---On Isaiah Roby, (i) a couple of his fouls were from someone else getting beat on defense, as he tried to clean up for the error, and (ii) it'd be nice to see a lot more of his drive-and-dunk moves.

--Jordy did some good things:  diving on the floor to tie up a loose ball with a USTA guard was important, he altered some down-under shots, and he had some nice rebounds and a put-back.  He'll come around.  

--Evan's free throw stroke looked really good and rarely touched the rim -- a little different than last year's Iowa game.

11 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

----What's with Copeland doing a little jump on his free throw?  It looks bad -- like he's lost confidence in his shot.

He's always done the little jump thing. But I though his shot looked really flat, too. Looked like Miles got on him about it after he took him out after one of his missed free throws. Hopefully it was just a bad game. We'll see if they get that fixed for Friday.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

I enjoyed watching last night's contest and had to admire some of the shots UTSA hit while pretty well guarded. Few teams (including UTSA) will have these shots go in on most nights. It was also nice to see the Cornhuskers not having to rely on one player (a la Shields or Petteway) to carry the team through a night like last night. This team has multiple players who can pick up the team if one stalwart has an off night. In fact, this team sort of reminds me of the Island of Misfit Toys, to make a Christmas allusion. Copeland, Palmer, and Gill were considered cast-offs by their original teams for one reason or another and play like they have something to prove.

And Evan Taylor, for that matter.

2 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Some observations:

---USTA played Oklahoma tough -- lost by a score that's roughly comparable to ours (85-97)

---On Isaiah Roby, (i) a couple of his fouls were from someone else getting beat on defense, as he tried to clean up for the error, and (ii) it'd be nice to see a lot more of his drive-and-dunk moves.

--Jordy did some good things:  diving on the floor to tie up a loose ball with a USTA guard was important, he altered some down-under shots, and he had some nice rebounds and a put-back.  He'll come around.  

--Evan's free throw stroke looked really good and rarely touched the rim -- a little different than last year's Iowa game.

More on Isaiah Roby.

I have always been pretty high on this kid.  I continue to be.

I wish I had film of him shooting jumpers a year ago for people to compare with what his jumper looks like now.  The kid works.  Even since the Facebook video that was posted on here this summer of him working out at home, his jumper has transformed. 

Whereas before his left hand was more behind the ball, causing his left elbow to wing out awkwardly (which does a lot of things with slowing down your wind up and release, especially in catch, turn and shoot situations), he now is positioning his hands in more of a triple threat position with his thumbs making a T.  This moves his left hand forward on the ball, his left elbow comes in tighter to his body, which in turn allows his wind up and release to speed up because the whole set of mechanics are now more compact, in alignment, and as a consequence, also more repeatable.

So, last night, in the warmups during half time, I just watched Isaiah spotting up from the corner and shooting threes.  

Isaiah, the shot is looking a lot better.  Good on ya, cobber.

He was probably hitting 60% of his attempts.  Not sure he's confident enough in the shot, yet, to start looking to take those attempts in live action, but it's coming.  And when it does, look out.

Next thing he needs to work on is a mid-range shot off the bounce.  I would love to see him be able to score from all three levels.  I think he's good enough of a ball handler to beat most guys his size off the dribble.  But if there's not a lane open all the way to the basket, he needs to be able to put on the breaks and elevate from 10-15 feet as well.

And he also needs to start looking to score.  He's worth the attempts.

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

By the way...and I know it is simply a matter of opinion, but this is not a bad league and there are some good teams in this league.  Yet, UTSA is picked in the lower half, hmm.  By the way, I wonder how Doc will fare against UTSA?

I did a deep dive once on the hypothetical of "Would Doc Sadler, well noted in-game technician, have ended up making the tournament with a new arena to boost his recruiting?"

The thing I've found is that his defense was and still is based around taking away the 2pt shot which is starting to become an outdated strategy. So...probably not.

I personally think a team like UTSA is going to run him over but I guess that depends on whether or not those 3pt shots are falling.

what gill is doing is pretty incredible. i was just hoping he'd be healthy enough to give us reserve minutes. 10 ppg on 45/85/46 shooting % has been huge for us.

these next 2 games would be a good chance for jordy to break out of his funk. and then hopefully we can make a run in the conference.

Via UNL

Nebraska vs. UTSA Postgame Notes

·        Nebraska’s 104 points set the Pinnacle Bank Arena scoring record (Nebraska, 97 vs. Mississippi Valley State, Nov. 14, 2015)

·        Nebraska scored 100 points for the first time since Dec. 19, 2005, against North Carolina A&T (107-57)

·        Nebraska attempted 50 free throws, the first time it had attempted 50 free throws in a game since January 3, 1996, against Texas (59)

·        Nebraska made a season-high 37 free throws, passing its previous high of 33 against North Texas on Nov. 13

·        Nebraska’s 11 3-pointers made tied its season high (also vs. Marist on Nov. 24)

·        Nebraska’s bench combined for 40 points on 10-of-16 shooting, including 6-for-11 from the 3-point line and 14-of-17 from the free throw line

·        Nebraska’s 40 bench points were the most this seasons

·        The 15 3-pointers made by UTSA are the most by an opponent in Pinnacle Bank Arena history

·        The 94 points by UTSA are the second-most points ever scored at Pinnacle Bank Arena and the most ever by a non-conference opponent

·        The 198 combined points set the Pinnacle Bank Arena record

·        James Palmer Jr. led the team with a career-high 25 points and went 5-for-11 from the floor and was 13-for-17 from the free throw line

·        Anton Gill scored a career-high 21 points and went 6-for-11 from the field, including 4-for-8 from behind the arc

·        Palmer and Gill both scored 20 points, marking the first time two Huskers have scored 20 points in the same game since Tai Webster (28) and Glynn Watson Jr. (22) at Michigan on Jan. 14, 2017

·        Evan Taylor had a Nebraska career-best 16 points, going 4-for-6 from the floor and 7-for-8 from the line

·        Jordy Tshimanga scored a season-best seven points

Nebraska Quotes

Head Coach Tim Miles

Opening Statement:

"Tonight was one of those nights where it felt like we were running in mud early. Not a lot of spark. It looked like we were in a fog, so to speak. I felt like we got some good sparks. Anton Gill came in. He had a migraine in the pre-game. He wasn't even able to go through pre-game. It was kind of a question mark, going through warm ups and by game time he was giving it a try. You look at 21 points later and you think 'well that worked out good.' We needed him. I think there were some guys who weren't at their best tonight. I kept telling our players that this team (UTSA) has similar offensive numbers to Michigan State, Creighton and Kansas. They just don't look like it. One of our guys says after the game to Coach Molinari, 'I didn't think they were like that.' Well, yeah they are like that. I really like Coach Henson's team, you can tell that that is his first full recruiting class with those two young guys. [Jhivvan] Jackson and [Keaton] Wallace, I think good things are going to come for them in the future."

On being tied with four minutes left in the game:

"As I recall, they came out of timeout in a zone. We had a zone play drawn up and we hit Isaac [Copeland], who was not having a very good game tonight. Isaac kicks it opposite and Anton [Gill] hits a three. We stalled out the next possession but kept the ball moving. Anton gets fouled on a three and in the meantime we got a stop. We contested a shot and they took a deep three and it didn't go in. We contested it better on a switch and we had a couple blocked shots around the rim with [Isaiah] Roby. So just a couple of defensive stops, we were able to score and I think that relaxed us a bit."

On UTSA's offense:

"Well they do an excellent job on offense. Our defense wasn't good enough. They went one-on-one isolation and made some big shots too. You have to credit them on that. They're not going beat us going one-on-one all night, I'm like, 'Just hang in there, stay tough on the ball and everybody’s got to rebound’. You look and Jhivvan Jackson goes and Deon Lyle will go 10-for-16 on threes and you're feeling like…I've watched Lyle's last 25 shots and 22 were catch-and-shoot-like threes. And then he bounced it a couple times in transition and at half court, it’s a three. We obviously don't listen well."

On this being a game that Nebraska could have lost in the previous years:

"Quite frankly it is the same day a couple years ago and it made me a little uneasy. This could have been a game where we maybe not have hung around with. Just like Eastern Illinois, I think we showed some toughness mentally and just did enough and have enough talent too."

Junior guard Glynn Watson Jr.

On big plays

"When it was like four minutes left, we took their run first and we made some big plays. [Anton Gill] hit a big three, to more threes and then we just took off from there. James (Palmer Jr.) made some big plays and things like that so we got some stops at the end. I think throughout the game, we let them get downhill and they can score the ball very well.  I think we did a good job at the end of the game."

Senior guard Evan Taylor Quotes

On post-game emotions

"Happy after any win. We have lost this game three years in a row. Today we won. It was tough. We knew the game was going to be hard. We can’t underestimate any opponent, but shout out to our guys and our coaches. We were able to weather the storm and win a tough one."

On team contribution

"Definitely, especially a team full of veterans. Me and Anton [Gill] being seniors, but we have guys like Glynn [Watson Jr.], who's been in the program and been playing for a long time so he might as well be a senior. Every game presents a different opportunity. Today, we had a lot of guys able to step up and make plays and that's what we did. That's a sign of a good team, when everybody can contribute on any given night."

Senior guard Anton Gill

On the lows in the game

"We had talked about it. A team that plays at their best when they're down 10. We took their punches. We had some low stints where we didn't play well, but you know at the end of the day you have to make plays to win and that's what we did."

UTSA Quotes
Head Coach Steve Henson

Opening Statement 
“They are a really good team, I’ve watched some of their games, they’ve done that to other people. Boston College was a close game going into the last few minutes they just shut them out down the stretch. Kansas the other night, close ball game, shut them out until the very last shot pretty much. So we knew we had the capability of screeching us to a halt. They are a good team. They have good depth, good size, good players. I’ve got a lot of respect for them. I’m really proud of the way our guys played. At times in the first half it was ugly. It was not our style of basketball. We couldn’t get a run going. We’ve got that ability to go on a run and get things out of the flow and they didn’t let us do it but we hung in there. It was good to see. I know we’re a good team when it’s easy, when we’re flowing, when both teams are getting up the floor. I liked the stretch there when it was hard and our guys hung in there and found a way to keep the game within reach, and then came out early in the second half and it was more our tempo that we are comfortable with. Trading baskets wasn’t good but we did some good things. We took care of the basketball, and played a good team on the road.”

On defense against Nebraska
“Yeah we hung in there, mixed up our defenses a little bit. We’ve been talking all year about needing to play some zone and in the first half they just drove it at us, drove it at us, then foul, foul, foul, foul, and we threw the zone out there and it helped us. It bought us a little time when we were in foul trouble. I was glad that we were ready to do that. We’ve been practicing. Three days ago we had a terrible day in practice with our zone. We came back the next day and knew we were going to need it at some point. I was proud of our guys, to expand a little bit. We’re a pretty good offensive team, a pretty good man-to-man defensive team, we need to expand.”

4 minutes ago, NUtball said:

I know Watson had foul issues that limited his minutes, but did anyone else think he tweaked some lower body part on his steal and breakaway bucket?  He seemed to head back to the defensive end somewhat gingerly.

I guess I didn't notice any injury related issue, but can't say he didn't tweak something.  I will reiterate something mentioned before the start of the season.  I worry about Glynn breaking down by season end due to minutes played.  That concern has dissipated a bit due to the amazing progress of Anton and the maturation of Thomas.  So Glynn should not have to play 34 minutes a night. 

My take last night was that Glynn was having his minutes limited more so because of the minutes earned by Anton and Thomas.  Anyway, I hope that was a correct assumption.

Just now, huskercwg said:

I guess I didn't notice any injury related issue, but can't say he didn't tweak something.  I will reiterate something mentioned before the start of the season.  I worry about Glynn breaking down by season end due to minutes played.  That concern has dissipated a bit due to the amazing progress of Anton and the maturation of Thomas.  So Glynn should not have to play 34 minutes a night. 

My take last night was that Glynn was having his minutes limited more so because of the minutes earned by Anton and Thomas.  Anyway, I hope that was a correct assumption.

Those thoughts had crossed my mind as well, and the emergence of the other players certainly is a good thing and can only help with Watson's durability and 'gas left in the tank' for the end of the season grind.  In general, I didn't think Watson looked quite right during most of the game.

But, he had 13 points and 2/0 assists/turnovers in 22 minutes, so that's not too shabby.:)

4 hours ago, NUtball said:

I know Watson had foul issues that limited his minutes, but did anyone else think he tweaked some lower body part on his steal and breakaway bucket?  He seemed to head back to the defensive end somewhat gingerly.

I noticed that as well. He seemed to be limping slightly and then was shaking his lower body as if to loosen up something.

Looking at the stats, I don't think enough has been mentioned regarding how well we were Shooting the ball  (well, if you forget about the FTs :Redface:).  Seems like all this talk about recruiting 'Shooters' is beginning to pay off.

And while talking about how we would have lost this game last year:  Looking at Anton Gill's stats for the game, I wonder how last year's team would have wound up if Gill had not been injured and able to play the entire season? :eek:

It felt like every time UTSA attempted a 3 it was going to drop. Their ability to do that really opened up the lane for them. 

I'm a little concerned about our guard play defense.

Need to move Jordy out of the starting lineup. It did wonders for Roby.

Taylor does a lot of things that don't show up on the STATS sheet. He has been the biggest surprise this season.

Gill is developing into the player we all thought he would become.

It's good to see that when one or two of our big 3, Watson, Copeland, Palmer isn't playing well that others will pick up the slack.

McVeigh seems to be handling his new role on the team really well. He will be a factor in a game or 2 yet this season.

Can we assume that Nana is going to redshirt this season baring a bunch of injuries?

Worth repeating that in years past we would have lost this game. This team showed a lot of mental toughness in the last 3 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

It felt like every time UTSA attempted a 3 it was going to drop. Their ability to do that really opened up the lane for them. 

I'm a little concerned about our guard play defense.

Need to move Jordy out of the starting lineup. It did wonders for Roby.

Taylor does a lot of things that don't show up on the STATS sheet. He has been the biggest surprise this season.

Gill is developing into the player we all thought he would become.

It's good to see that when one or two of our big 3, Watson, Copeland, Palmer isn't playing well that others will pick up the slack.

McVeigh seems to be handling his new role on the team really well. He will be a factor in a game or 2 yet this season.

Can we assume that Nana is going to redshirt this season baring a bunch of injuries?

Worth repeating that in years past we would have lost this game. This team showed a lot of mental toughness in the last 3 minutes.

Nana has played...Unless it somehow morphs into a medical situation, I believe he no longer can redshirt.

22 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Some observations:

When???  I sure hope you are right but we are close to halfway through the season already.  We could sure use him during conference play so it better be quick.

2 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

When???  I sure hope you are right but we are close to halfway through the season already.  We could sure use him during conference play so it better be quick.

That's the question. And you know what, it may not be this year. He's got 2 1/2 years left. It's not uncommon for a season like this to be part of the learning curve. I think he'll be a stud here by the time he's done, but it may not be this year. I'm just hoping he can regain the form he had at the end of last season. Just that would be a huge boost for this year.

42 minutes ago, 49r said:

Ubel didn't really do much of anything until senior year.  Too early to give up on Jordy, IMO.

Ubel had only 143 shot attempts as a junior (for reference Jordy had 123 as a freshman) While not shooting a ton, Ubel was shooting over 50% from the floor starting his sophomore year.