Washington State vs Nebraska thread...

whoopdeedoo

I have to think we'll learn a lot from this game. Will help us with the B1G coming up.  W S was a little like a B1G team. 

Our defense toughened up considerably as the game went on.  Wash St exposed us to some extent.  We'll learn from it. 

Woody was great...her senior experience came to the top. Man does she hustle. 

Have to give credit to Wash St...they were ready and hustled to the ball.  They just got to far ahead early, and we couldn't catch up that much...we  gave it a hell of an effort though. We played pretty even after the 1st qtr.

Edited by redsteve

I had hoped to attend today’s game but yesterday’s ice threw off the schedule.  Pleased that the team continued to battle but these types of games are probably going to continue as the level of competition is raised considerably.   Sounds like defensive rebounding was an issue plus woeful first half shooting.  If the team continues to battle we should win a few conference games.

8 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Matt said that Taylor is now in a knee sleeve instead of a brace. and is doing more in practice, and hoping to have her after the break.

my memory may be failing me, but, think that was the first time i heard mention of a brace. may have been a little more significant than any info that was out in the public. 

really was hoping huskers could stay with wsu and not give up a big lead at any point. unfortunately, that went away fairly early. like they say, takes so much energy to get yourself back into the game and have a shot at finishing. anyway, appears halftime led to some valuable discussion/adjustments and huskers were able to pull within 7, but, just couldn't get over the hump. really happy with the performance of woody. as i had mentioned before, i just didn't think she would see many minutes once bria and janay were in the mix. i was wrong on that one. i guess i had a little higher expectations for the two transfers. although, that injury suffered to janay may be putting a big damper on her senior season.  on to the big ten season--------and, man, just thinking road wins are really going to be tough the rest of the season. 

Since we only get effective 3 point shooting from the guard position for us to win we need to get Taylor back to go along with Woody and Hannah.  Getting all three hot at the same time is important since we at least at this stage aren't very effective at taking the ball to the hoop.  

Last night we kind of got punched in the mouth early in the game and i think it put us on our heals.  That will happen to a young team.  i like our come back but the hole was too deep.  Woody's hustle and shooting was fantastic.  When she got taken out for awhile in the 4th qtr she could hardly make it to the sidelines.  This sort of effort is what we need from more of our players.

Back to Taylor.  I was at the game early and at about 11:45 we had 3 girls taking shooting practice.  There was Woody of course along with Kate.  The third person I was sure was Taylor in her uniform taking a lot of 3 pointers.  I thought wow she's going to play.  Then when they came back out she had sweats on. Maybe it was Maddie.  Were any of you there at that time?  I'm getting old and maybe my eyes are slipping.  Maddie and Taylor do look a bit alike from a distance.

Edited by HUD
correct info

Maddie, Kate & Woody were out shooting early.  Woody is always out early, Maddie usually is & first time I've seen Kate early.  Maddie is working hard on her three point shot and also spent 10 minutes at opposite end of floor working on her go to the basket moves from the wing.  And then she had a bad game.

We are getting better, and learning how to work and get tougher.  It's a process.  The coaches are establishing their culture of toughness, and the older kids are all trying to set good examples and the young kids are watching and following.  The chemistry is very good. They like playing with each other and enjoy each other's success. .  We are going to have good stretches and tough stretches still but the bottom got put in last year.  Like I said 6 weeks ago enjoy the climb back up.  We are going the right direction. Hop on the train. Just remember there will still be aome

bumps along the way.  That's natural 

Edited by kansashusker

7 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

my memory may be failing me, but, think that was the first time i heard mention of a brace. may have been a little more significant than any info that was out in the public. 

really was hoping huskers could stay with wsu and not give up a big lead at any point. unfortunately, that went away fairly early. like they say, takes so much energy to get yourself back into the game and have a shot at finishing. anyway, appears halftime led to some valuable discussion/adjustments and huskers were able to pull within 7, but, just couldn't get over the hump. really happy with the performance of woody. as i had mentioned before, i just didn't think she would see many minutes once bria and janay were in the mix. i was wrong on that one. i guess i had a little higher expectations for the two transfers. although, that injury suffered to janay may be putting a big damper on her senior season.  on to the big ten season--------and, man, just thinking road wins are really going to be tough the rest of the season. 

The missed three by Woody when Huskers were 7 was a hugh miss. IMHO it was the game changer, instead of being down by 4, WSU went down and hit a three to make it a 10 pt game again.

4 hours ago, HUD said:

Back to Hannah.  I was at the game early and at about 11:45 we had 3 girls taking shooting practice.  There was Woody of course along with Kate.  The third person I was sure was Taylor in her uniform taking a lot of 3 pointers.  I thought wow she's going to play.  Then when they came back out she had sweats on. Maybe it was Maddie.  Were any of you there at that time?  I'm getting old and maybe my eyes are slipping.  Maddie and Taylor do look a bit alike from a distance.

I got there when the doors open as I always do to watch the shooters and it was Maddie. We went up to the concourse to show our grandson the view from there, he had never been to a game. And my wife says look it's Kissinger warming up, I said no that it was maddie. So from a distance those two look a lot alike.

Game was lost on D in the 1st quarter, but doing a 5 player substitution while on an 11-0 run, in my opinion, falls in the just plain crazy column. Don't care who went in or out, not the point at all.  This is a very simply concept, if players are doing well leave them in, if they are doing poorly replace them.  When on a big run, don't change anything until the run is over. And finally, If anyone is getting tired they just have to tough it out for the duration of the run. No reason to reinvent the game.  

7 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

Game was lost on D in the 1st quarter, but doing a 5 player substitution while on an 11-0 run, in my opinion, falls in the just plain crazy column. Don't care who went in or out, not the point at all.  This is a very simply concept, if players are doing well leave them in, if they are doing poorly replace them.  When on a big run, don't change anything until the run is over. And finally, If anyone is getting tired they just have to tough it out for the duration of the run. No reason to reinvent the game.  

So you as a coach would run five into the ground for a game?

16 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

Playing 5,6,7 in womens basketball doesn't work. Unless the players are from the WNBA!!

Edited by Bugeaters1

15 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

You do know that women are built differentaly than guys. womens knees can't handle that type of stress ect.

19 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

We have another kindney in the crowd people.

I got it now, you are always right and I am always wrong. My opinion is clearly not as important as yours.  And if you have not noticed the 5 game winning streak started after Taylor got hurt and our rotation pretty much went down to 7 (6 yesterday) .  You post the boxes, look at them. I know, I'm crazy.  BTW, let me be clear that this is NOT any reflection on Taylor and as soon as she is healthy she has to play a ton and be a huge part of everything.  And lastly, in my opinion which is of equal value to yours,  you do not change out your entire team when you are on an 11-0 run that took about 4 minutes.    

You are wrong on the the 6,7 player rotation, look at the box score as to how all of the teams play thier players. most play 10 maybe 11. but this coach when she gets the players she wants play the whole bench. you can like it or bitch about it, but she is the coach. I don't know if you followed any of Yori's teams but if she had the players she would make a line chagne as well. most women can't play 40 minutes a game and not get hurt, thier bodys aren't built for it. RB is playing on bad wheels so her minutes are way down, if she were healthy she would be in the 15-20 min. range as well.  

1 hour ago, huskerfrank said:

I got it now, you are always right and I am always wrong. My opinion is clearly not as important as yours.  And if you have not noticed the 5 game winning streak started after Taylor got hurt and our rotation pretty much went down to 7 (6 yesterday) .  You post the boxes, look at them. I know, I'm crazy.  BTW, let me be clear that this is NOT any reflection on Taylor and as soon as she is healthy she has to play a ton and be a huge part of everything.  And lastly, in my opinion which is of equal value to yours,  you do not change out your entire team when you are on an 11-0 run that took about 4 minutes.    

And one other thing, the box scores have always been posted after the games. The person who used to it, passed away, so I took on the job of posting them.