Playing above the rim

75unlgrad

I was a senior student seated about five rows behind the basket that night.  Craziest moment I can recall at The Bob in all my years.  It was a little shocking to go from this to the smallest team in 1-A a few seasons later:lol:

Miles and his staff have really done an excellent job recruiting length and it's really starting to pay-off.  Not only in blocks and playing above the rim, but also hands -- and legs -- getting into passing lanes.  It's exciting to see high-powered offenses struggling to score against us.

1997 was, to my memory, the best "Above the Rim" year.  Tyron Lue droppin' dimes to the likes of Cookie Belcher, Larry Florence, Venson Hamilton, Mikki Moore.  I'll have to find the NIT game we played against UConn and upload it.  We had something like 6 or 7 alley-oop dunks in that game alone.  

13 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Probably any year that Shang Ping and JBD were playing.

If any it was the 2009 team where we didn't have anyone over 6'6" who played regularly. (Chris Ballam was taking injections of rooster comb into his knees so he could play 10 minutes)

Ade could throw down and Sek had some spring but that's everyone of note and I don't know that they're much more of a presence than Evan and Palmer.

Speaking of that team, analytically it's the best one defensively of this century and probably one of the best we've ever fielded It ended the season as KenPom #15 in defensive efficiency.  It was fueled by steals and I wonder where it ranks for steals in a season by a team in Nebraska history. As many of you know they were probably a dumb loss to Maryland Baltimore County (the infamous "we would have won this game if Cookie Miller had played)  and OT loss at home to Okie St away from the tourney. Doc's non-conference scheduling didn't help with that margin of error.

20 hours ago, huskercwg said:

This is an exciting, above the rim team, but we have had some rim shakers in the past.  Here is an example:

Funny story about this.  I was at this game and in the first half the super athletic/strong Tennessee center dunked the SHIT out of the ball.  I told my dad something was off with the hoop after that.  Then, hilariously, all 190lbs of Jason D. gets a dunk in the second half and brings the house down and everyone goes nuts.  lol.  

2 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Funny story about this.  I was at this game and in the first half the super athletic/strong Tennessee center dunked the SHIT out of the ball.  I told my dad something was off with the hoop after that.  Then, hilariously, all 190lbs of Jason D. gets a dunk in the second half and brings the house down and everyone goes nuts.  lol.  

I had to miss that game. Don't remember why. But I was pissed when I saw this happened and I missed it.