uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 12 - vs. Kansas

uneblinstu

7 hours ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

It was a great atmosphere tonight for sure. Can’t agree more with the Scott Frost take. I get why they did it, but takes away from the reason I was there tonight. Not disrespectful per se, but close. Here to support a good basketball team, not another sport’s coach.

That was my initial reaction to Frost also, but I'm a basketball-first guy.(what's wrong with me?)

But then I heard Miles orchestrated Frost's appearance so I'm fine with it. Must have felt it was worth a few points or he wouldn't have done it.

Edited by Chuck Taylor

8 hours ago, uneblinstu said:
  •  
  • Personally, I wish they hadn't brought out Coach Frost before the game. I wish they'd have found a different time for that. I thought it took away from the moment for the basketball team.

Miles signed off on it. Not sure if the players knew. But, I don't see the big deal. The alternative was just to play the same average player intro video that they do the rest of the season. Which one got the arena more fired up? Definitely Frost.

The amazing thing about basketball is the difference the last shot falling or missing has in a game like this.

It goes in ... and there is unbounded elation and optimism that follows.  The team is great.  The coach is great.  The players are great.  The opposition was great.  

It doesn’t ... and dejection and gloom prevail for a long time.  The team is terrible.  The coach is terrible.  The players are terrible.  And the opposition is overrated,  

Yet, it’s the same game with everything the same, but for one last shot.

Exciting game which could have gone either way. Jayhawks look like a team which won't go much further than sweet 16 this year and we look like a team equally capable unless we lose our focus against some team we should beat handily like we have done in years past. This team seems mentally tough enough to finish up with 20 wins and deep enough to withstand an injury to a key player for a while without crumbling as previous teams have done. At this point I would classify myself as cautiously optimistic about our chance to break the NCAA jinx this year, although a loss in one of the next three games would plummet me to "rock bottom".

10 hours ago, Kendrick Perkins said:

Hey, @ConkintheCorner, would love to have a fact-based discussion with you.  I'll let you go first: lay out, statistically, how we are on track to getting to where we want to be (consistent NCAA qualifier).  I guess those might be too high of expectations for some on here, though.  

to futher highjack this post Kendrick could you fact-based statistically tell me what I am getting for Christmas?  I hope it isn't a pony.

This game does nothing to discourage my thoughts on where this team will be in march.
Tough loss
Good things learned? i hope so
Just need touch up a few things here and there and i think we'll be just fine.
Most of the team showed up and did well.
I was really happy that coach kinda let them play through some mistakes and didnt yank players.
I noticed a similar stretch during the st johns game but instead of spiraling out of control ala st johns this team now stayed in it and fought and almost won
And we are only getting better

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

Not sure how I didn't see this earlier in the year, but I noticed last night that when a non-shooting foul occurred, the shot clock was reset to 20 seconds. Not 30 seconds. Was this a rule a change this year and I missed it?

The rule is that if a foul occurs under 15 seconds the clock is reset to 15 and if it is under 20 seconds it's reset to 20 seconds. At least i think that is how it works.

13 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Played pretty well. 131 got them out of rythm. Didn’t work at Creighton worked tonight. Then back to our man when we needed it.  Gotta figure something out on low post d. 

What a a great job getting the 2 for 1 at the end. That should have secured overtime at the least. Nice play by Kansas at the end but Copeland shouldn’t have helped. 

What an awful officiating job. And I don’t usually point to it. But Donny Marshall even seemed sickened.  We get called for a moving screen and then numerous worse ones on ku not called. The great play draw up by Self for he lob isn’t effective if Ozubuke isn’t allowed to drive block our bottom man out of the way. None of our three charge calls were legit. The last one probably the most egregious where KU defender actually launched himself forward into Palmer. KU big man should have been out of the game. At least three times he violated verticality rules by jumping forward into shooter.  I guess if your arms are over your head you can launch yourself into another player. See the tough shot gill made late first half. Guy probably displaced an airborn shooter by 4 feet. Just an awful awful officiated game. An easy 10 points by the zebras on blatant missed calls. 

So pissed. Did so many things well. 

GBR. Keep showing up like this and we will win 20

This.

19 minutes ago, Coaches kid said:

The other irritating thing about last night was the total jackhole Kansas fans behind us. Arrogant, obnoxious, and non-stop loud commentary. Perhaps I had the worst offenders next to me, but it was hard for the Husker faithful around me to keep from throwing punches. 

Jackholes gonna jackhole when comes to good ole Rock Chalk Jayflop KU

I thought Miles did a good job.  He switched defenses at the right time.  His substitution pattern was pretty decent.  The last play I would have liked to see Watson as the shooter, not Gill.  Gill was 0 - 3 for the game from 3, and Watson was 1 - 2 from 3.  That is just nitpicking though.  This one still hurts.

Self set up his "D" and dared Roby to take the 3 at the end and he did. Just an absolute gut punch of a loss. Then I got up and read that Duby and Jordy had 1 basket and 1 rebound and felt awful ALL over again...

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Jordy looked like he had progressed at the end of last season and now he looks like he’s taken 10 steps backwards. How much practice did he really miss over the summer is my burning question. He looks light years behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I thought Miles did a good job.  He switched defenses at the right time.  His substitution pattern was pretty decent.  The last play I would have liked to see Watson as the shooter, not Gill.  Gill was 0 - 3 for the game from 3, and Watson was 1 - 2 from 3.  That is just nitpicking though.  This one still hurts.

Here's some more nitpicking: shouldn't have stayed in zone the time Kansas called timeout and had the lob play called, should have played Allen more, should have had Roby initiate the offense some when Azibuke was guarding him and should have told him to attack the rim instead of settling for that last 3, should have used a timeout before the last KU possession to make sure whatever you do you don't give up a 3, could have used a timeout on the last possession when it looked like we weren't going to get a good shot off.  But, that's nitpicking that you could do after any game, overall it was a solid job.

13 minutes ago, WestOHusker said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Jordy looked like he had progressed at the end of last season and now he looks like he’s taken 10 steps backwards. How much practice did he really miss over the summer is my burning question. He looks light years behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's doing everything right until it comes to putting the ball in the hoop.  Almost everytime he goes up for a shot, he seems to rush it, instead of slowing things down, and getting the ball in the basket.  He's passing the ball out of the post, instead of going for a shot no matter what.

I'm re-watching the game, and syncing it with Kent.  I am still flabbergasted at these officials.  They stop the game when we are on offense because a KU player loses a shoe.  I have never seen that happen before.  Watson's charge call was absolutely horrible call.  The KU player was moving and falling backwards when Watson went up for the shot.  Another play, is when Duby is rolling towards the hoop and Vick grabs Duby's arm to knock the ball away, leads to a 3 pointer by Graham.

I sort of stepped away for some time given the game outcome.  I was devastated.  We could have, should have but didn't win.  The moral victory mentality simply doesn't do it for me.  Some isolated thoughts follow:

- I certainly cheered for Coach Frost, and he provides hope for football and the overall culture of the university.  I am happy as hell that he is here.  But I wasn't pleased with the introduction.  At the time I thought it drew attention away from the subject at hand.  I know, I know I am in the minority but I do not believe it should take the introduction of a new head football coach to get Husker basketball fans fired up regarding a game against the Kansas Jayhawks.  Sorry, but again, it is merely my humble opinion.

- I love that our volleyball team won the national championship.  Love it, love it, love it!  But doggone it, some in the crowd were distracted by the start of the match.  But good for the university to show updates and to show the game after our game was over. 

- Despite the aforementioned distractions, the crowd was really into the game.

- Kansas is still a classy team and plays the game the right way.  Nothing but respect.  But with the exception of their center, I thought we matched up well and were on par with them regarding talent.  Again, we should have won the game.

- I saw "that referee" and thought it would be problematic.  But with the exception of some homer opinions, I thought they did okay.  I am still confused that we do not get to the line more often.

- I watched the flow of the Kansas offense, and like I am with the flow of the Creighton offense I am envious. 

- I liked the 1-3-1 look, but I wish we could be more flexible with our timing of going in and out of the zone.  We should use it throughout the game as a change in pace. 

- Copeland and Roby played very well.  Same with out entire guard corp.  My continuing disappointment is the play of Duby and Jordy.  I am not about to pick on college kids, but dang, both have to pick up their offensive play significantly. 

We are a talented crew and we continue to hope that wins start coming.  I cannot accept being close.  We lost last night.  We had a chance to win, we could have won and yes, we should have won.  I am not picking on anyone but we have to start this week and go on a long term win streak. 

8 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

That was my initial reaction to Frost also, but I'm a basketball-first guy.(what's wrong with me?)

But then I heard Miles orchestrated Frost's appearance so I'm fine with it. Must have felt it was worth a few points or he wouldn't have done it.

7 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

Miles signed off on it. Not sure if the players knew. But, I don't see the big deal. The alternative was just to play the same average player intro video that they do the rest of the season. Which one got the arena more fired up? Definitely Frost.

I know he did. I still would have preferred he not upstage the basketball game in the moments before it tipped off.

Edited by uneblinstu

13 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

- I am still confused that we do not get to the line more often.

One thing I didn't realize until I looked at the box score was that KU only got to the line eight times, too. They didn't miss any of theirs. We missed two of ours...

Edited by uneblinstu
Inclusion