1958 Shot that Beat KU

Tallbaby21

5 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

That doesn't seem like a very profitable business model.

Not to worry, I lve by a farmer that doesn't plant his corn until mid to late june. and combines it late, late, late. One year it was spring before he could harvest it. had a big snow storm around Thanksgiving and to wait until spring. I'm sure he didn't get much corn.

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Not to worry, I lve by a farmer that doesn't plant his corn until mid to late june. and combines it late, late, late. One year it was spring before he could harvest it. had a big snow storm around Thanksgiving and to wait until spring. I'm sure he didn't get much corn.

Isn't that how creamed corn is grown? "Just add snow"?

In fairness, I have a set of neighbors who, most years, finish harvest near the end of March.  They never seem to be in much of a hurry.

Combines would have been fairly new, and still rare, in 1958.  Pull behind or front mount corn pickers, which picked ear corn, would have been more prevalent.  Most early combines would have picked 3 rows at a time; so even with farms being much smaller then, harvest would have taken a while.  A lot of combines at the time would not have had a cab, though, so I'm not sure that having a passenger or a radio on it would have been common.  The recorded high was 50°F that day in Lincoln - so I guess it's plausible?