San Jose State

Bugeaters1

Just now, Red Don said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Bugs? :Wave:

Just how bad the facilitites are, the score keeper couldn't keep the score right, clock operetor couldn't keep the time, no crowd ETC. I didn't write my first post very well. sorry about that.

I hear you.  Crowd couldn't have been more than a hundred or so;  compared to the fans in Lincoln, 3,000 plus or minus.  But it was the same when we played Cal in Berkeley a couple of years ago, I think Cal's pep band for the game outnumbered the fans.  The clock problems and delay in updating scores were a pain.  (We are lucky to have PBA to play in.)  Anyway, the team will have a happy flight home tonight.  :)

Edited by Red Don

Good things so far:  Improved rebounding, blocked shots and steals.  Defense is coming around.

Big concern so far:  Free throws made per game versus opponents.  We are averaging almost 4 less made free throws per game then our competition.  Poor shooting % by us and too many fouls against us are the main reasons.  Younger teams in trying to hustle on defense often are guilty of this.  Our problem is that just like today again we had numerous very stupid fouls.  Need to eliminate those and hit more of our own.  This can cost us wins in close games.   Already took it's toll in the Clemson game resulting in a loss.

Edited by HUD
correction

if TK is starting to participate, hopefully fans will see her return this week. i could be wrong, but, isn't this Morton's second setback with the foot? that might be something to watch---------heck, we are almost into January already. man, feel so much for RB----you can tell those knees just don't want to do what she wants them to do. that has to be so tough being the competitor she is. it does make one wonder:(.........

3 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Are you guys paying attention ?.... WE HAVE NOW WON 8  GAMES !!!

I am as enthusiastic as the next guy and we are an improved team but our schedule played this year is not up to par with who we played last year.  That being said I think an overall winning season is well within reach.  That means we will have to win 5 or 6 conference games which is doable if we stay healthy.

1 hour ago, HUD said:

I am as enthusiastic as the next guy and we are an improved team but our schedule played this year is not up to par with who we played last year.  That being said I think an overall winning season is well within reach.  That means we will have to win 5 or 6 conference games which is doable if we stay healthy.

Ah...the point was...we only won 7 games last season.

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Are you guys paying attention ?.... WE HAVE NOW WON 8  GAMES !!!

How many wins all of last year ?

Rolling Recap:  http://huskerhoopscentral.com/forums/topic/11872-this-is-the-season-that-is-wbb-20172018/

Washington State will be an important test.  Win that game and we will likely be 10-3 at the end of non-conference play.  As HUD points out things get much tougher when we enter conference play.  Taking the rose-colored glasses off I can see 6, maybe 7 wins in conference (we play two of the conference's tougher teams, Iowa and Maryland, twice each).  Should we enter conference play 10-3, even five conference wins would put us at over 0.500 for the season, an almost unbelievable accomplishment from the depths of last season.

Putting the rose-colored glasses back on:Koolaid2: The team is developing at an amazing rate; chemistry is unbelievable, and everyone seems to be having a lot of fun.  In addition to the newcomers, virtually everyone on the team seems to have stepped up their game a notch, or two, this season.  If everyone can get, and stay, healthy we might even pick off a higher ranked team or two, but it's unlikely we can break even in conference play this year.

22 hours ago, HUD said:

I can fully sympathize how frustrating that must be for RB.  She wants to contribute so bad.

It's bad...  For a kid to be 21 and have knee problems that are so bad that she sometimes hobbles around... and no doctor can figure out why they hurt...  Her frustration level is at 100%.

Additionally, she knows how good a player she could be.  

It's sad.  It's hard for me to watch.  

Her mom said, as we watched Sunday...  "Her knees are hurting... I can tell how she's walking."  Many of you all see her struggle.  

So, we'll see how it goes.  I'm not optimistic.  She'll gut it out until she can't.  Then it will be... Rounds complete, end of mission, out.  That will be a sad day.  We're not looking forward to that day.  

Thankfully, Ms. Cain is playing very well.  She is a great addition to the team.  

2 minutes ago, dlrrk said:

It's bad...  For a kid to be 21 and have knee problems that are so bad that she sometimes hobbles around... and no doctor can figure out why they hurt...  Her frustration level is at 100%.

Additionally, she knows how good a player she could be.  

It's sad.  It's hard for me to watch.  

Her mom said, as we watched Sunday...  "Her knees are hurting... I can tell how she's walking."  Many of you all see her struggle.  

So, we'll see how it goes.  I'm not optimistic.  She'll gut it out until she can't.  Then it will be... Rounds complete, end of mission, out.  That will be a sad day.  We're not looking forward to that day.  

Thankfully, Ms. Cain is playing very well.  She is a great addition to the team.  

Yes, I noticed the way she was moving around in the game but didn't want to comment on it. Truly unfortunate for her. May not really make sense, and we're not her dad, but we all here kind of feel her pain too.  I have two boys that had arthroscopic surgery on knees from sports.

It was obvious she wasn't doing well. Looked like she tried to loosen them up when she went in but just couldn't go.  Does getting off her feet help any? Coach has been trying to take it easy on Rachel. Just hope it turns out as well as possible for her. The old adage "be strong" kind of fits.

imo, when the huskers hit the big ten season, sooooo much is going to depend on the play of Cain. she is going to run into much better competition: iowa's Gustafson, michigans Thome, the player from OSU her name slips my mind---and a number more. keeping her out of foul trouble will be paramount. hate to put pressure on a freshman, but, if she gets into EARLY foul trouble, i think it will change the dynamics of the game rather drastically.