Peaceful visitor from the South

John McLendon

I come in peace.  My high-school aged son and I are making the trip to Lincoln for tomorrow's game.  I have been to three football games at Memorial Stadium, and we were treated very graciously every time.  (You also won those games by an *approximate* combined score of 722 to 12.)  Tomorrow's game should be a lot of fun.

Where do we park?

What sights do we have to see while we are there?

My son and I have tickets our tickets.  A friend and his son are considering tagging along.  Should they buy on Vivid tonight, or take their chances tomorrow?

Good luck tomorrow.

53 minutes ago, John McLendon said:

I come in peace.  My high-school aged son and I are making the trip to Lincoln for tomorrow's game.  I have been to three football games at Memorial Stadium, and we were treated very graciously every time.  (You also won those games by an *approximate* combined score of 722 to 12.)  Tomorrow's game should be a lot of fun.

Where do we park?

My son and I have tickets our tickets.  A friend and his son are considering tagging along.  Should they buy on Vivid tonight, or take their chances tomorrow?

Good luck tomorrow.

Since you live out of Lancaster county, don't worry about plugging any parking meter.  You get a couple free parking tickets every year with out-of-county plates.

At least it was this way a few years ago. I've taken advantage of it several times.

There is a pretty good garage just south of the arena.  Pretty easy in and out for the Indiana game last year.  

I too would suggest getting tickets beforehand.  We saw just a few scalpers before the game last year against Indiana and this is a much bigger game.  Tickets that are outside the arena for this game will probably be going for an arm and a leg as well.

Plenty of food options as mentioned.  Enjoy the atmosphere down there as it should be quite a big night for Husker athletics.  Best of luck tomorrow and I feel a little bad that we are going to have to send you on a 3 game losing streak... :ph34r:

2 hours ago, John McLendon said:

Where do we park?

Good luck tomorrow.

I think that's about what the score was in Lawrence in '07. 

45 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

I think that's about what the score was in Lawrence in '07. 

That game was sort of a letdown for me.  After enduring soooooo many losses to you, I wanted to gloat a little at our second win in 4 decades.  But every Cornhusker fan I knew claimed to be happy about it, saying they hoped it would get Callahan fired. 

I once saw him coach and Dick Barnett play at the NAIA tournament in the old KC Municipal auditorium. I was in high school and my dad(a high school coach) and I used to make the trip for several years and watch 8 games in one day ( think they were on Thursdays) so he must have let me skip school. Incidentally ,as most on the board know already, my dad also had lunch, or "tea" as it was called, with James Naismith.

16 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

If you want to stay downtown after the game - parking garage. 

If you want to get out - festival parking. Ask Google maps for Haymarket Park and your there. 

I agree with this.  John, the address for the parking garage is 535 P St (look for the blue garage or the green garage). The festival lot is just north of the arena.

I hope you enjoyed your stay.  Hopefully you were able to get a table somewhere before the game.  It was standing room only in every bar/restaurant that we tried, two hours prior to tip-off.   It was a very competitive college basketball game, and a pretty fun atmosphere with all the things going on (I mean, can you ever go wrong with, "The Amazing Sladek?").  I really hope we can schedule another home and home soon.  It was like old times having the Jayhawks back in town.  I always looked forward to playing the Jayhawks, even though I knew we'd get slaughtered by 30 (which we usually did).  They were the measuring stick.

Good luck the rest of the way, and who knows, maybe we'll see each other again in the tournament.  :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by hal9000