Marcus Perry

dskurz

4 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

If this is true I am very sad.  Even if it isn't it true it makes me very sad.  

Sigh:(

(Not related to this specific article)

That's what I fear about this world we live in now. It's an accuse-first culture. And if someone never did anything remotely close to what they're accused of, that accusation still follows them for, sometimes, a lifetime.

I will hold off comments until I know of guilt vs. innocence.  But I do have a general legal question.  I certainly understand and strongly support not naming the alleged victim.  But why is the name of the accused released?  I mean if the dude is guilty, then the name should be released.  But IF the accused happens to be innocent or at the very least, found not guilty, then is it fair for the name and reputation of the accused to be ruined?  Another example of this is the ex-football public address announcer.  That guy is being re-tried, but the original jury came within a whisker of completely clearing the man.  Yet if he is clear, will he recover his job and reputation?  I think not.

Again, I am not passing any judgment whatsoever.  I mean the media is replete with news regarding alleged assaults that have occurred or may have occurred.  But I am betting that most have predetermined the guilt of all accused.

13 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I will hold off comments until I know of guilt vs. innocence.  But I do have a general legal question.  I certainly understand and strongly support not naming the alleged victim.  But why is the name of the accused released?  I mean if the dude is guilty, then the name should be released.  But IF the accused happens to be innocent or at the very least, found not guilty, then is it fair for the name and reputation of the accused to be ruined?  Another example of this is the ex-football public address announcer.  That guy is being re-tried, but the original jury came within a whisker of completely clearing the man.  Yet if he is clear, will he recover his job and reputation?  I think not.

Again, I am not passing any judgment whatsoever.  I mean the media is replete with news regarding alleged assaults that have occurred or may have occurred.  But I am betting that most have predetermined the guilt of all accused.

Probably because arrest records are public record, regardless if it is a baseless arrest.

I don't want to speak too much on it, because I know we see it happen more and more today with people you'd never expect.  With that said, knowing Marcus as long as I have and knowing the type of man he is, which is a hell of a father, loves his wife, such a family man.... I just have a very hard time believing this is actually true.  Someone like Marcus wouldn't do something like this.

12 hours ago, huskercwg said:

But why is the name of the accused released?

He was accused on Friday, Dec 7th. It was investigated for a week and he was arrested. Anyone who is arrested, typically, there is a reason given and that reason is public knowledge. If you're a person of some note, it's going to get more press. That's just how it works.

12 hours ago, huskercwg said:

That guy is being re-tried, but the original jury came within a whisker of completely clearing the man.  Yet if he is clear, will he recover his job and reputation?  I think not.

We're talking about a guy who got a elderly woman in an Alzheimer care unit to change her will to benefit him.  We're talking about a guy who "had expressed concern about the couple’s money running out, she said. He cut back her company’s hours and hired a private nurse and another company to care for the couple" and then tipped off authorities when he tried to transfer out $1.75 million dollars. He very well might be cleared but whatever reputation he has he has earned.

4 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

He was accused on Friday, Dec 7th. It was investigated for a week and he was arrested. Anyone who is arrested, typically, there is a reason given and that reason is public knowledge. If you're a person of some note, it's going to get more press. That's just how it works.

We're talking about a guy who got a elderly woman in an Alzheimer care unit to change her will to benefit him.  We're talking about a guy who "had expressed concern about the couple’s money running out, she said. He cut back her company’s hours and hired a private nurse and another company to care for the couple" and then tipped off authorities when he tried to transfer out $1.75 million dollars. He very well might be cleared but whatever reputation he has he has earned.

Perfect example dimes.  I know the guy in question and the background information that has not completely rolled out to the public.  There are two sides to the Combs story, and his side was believed by the jury.  But you have made my point.  Some information becomes available, but not all the information is made public.  The public will tend to take the small snipets of information and form an opinion that is solidified by core beliefs. 

If Marcus is guilty, he will pay the price.  But if he is innocent, guess what, he is still going to pay a significant price. 

20 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Perfect example dimes.  I know the guy in question and the background information that has not completely rolled out to the public.  There are two sides to the Combs story, and his side was believed by the jury.  But you have made my point.  Some information becomes available, but not all the information is made public.  The public will tend to take the small snipets of information and form an opinion that is solidified by core beliefs. 

If Marcus is guilty, he will pay the price.  But if he is innocent, guess what, he is still going to pay a significant price. 

In my opinion - it's better the way it is - versus still allowing a potential sexual assaulter to still be coaching a girls basketball team while an investigation/arrest/trial/etc... is still going on. If he's found innocent.... well, hopefully he wins some sort of settlement in the future and gets his name cleared, and the person who accused comes out and clearly admits their wrongdoing. If he did do it, the way it's currently handled, keeps a sexual predator away from the victims and makes the public aware. Really, really, really sucks if you're innocent. But I think it just kind of has to be this way. 

And what is the Combs dude's side? I mean a trial has already happened so it's not like you're breaching any confidentiality. 

Edited by basketballjones

18 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Some information becomes available, but not all the information is made public.  The public will tend to take the small snipets of information and form an opinion that is solidified by core beliefs. 

That couple very well might have been wanted all of that money to go to Combs; he was making sure it got there.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

In my opinion - it's better the way it is - versus still allowing a potential sexual assaulter to still be coaching a girls basketball team while an investigation/arrest/trial/etc... is still going on. If he's found innocent.... well, hopefully he wins some sort of settlement in the future and gets his name cleared, and the person who accused comes out and clearly admits their wrongdoing. If he did do it, the way it's currently handled, keeps a sexual predator away from the victims and makes the public aware. Really, really, really sucks if you're innocent. But I think it just kind of has to be this way. 

And what is the Combs dude's side? I mean a trial has already happened so it's not like you're breaching any confidentiality. 

He is going to be retried in the upcoming weeks.  In short, this is the other side of the pillow (so to speak):

Beverly Mosher was a teacher at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and her dad worked for Combs’ dad, Woody, at a Lincoln car dealership. Combs knew the Moshers from the day he was born and was like an adopted son to them. The couple had no living relatives, and had paid for Combs' education and wedding.

Harold Mosher, who had been a lawyer, told a probate lawyer he and his wife wanted their money to be split among three people: 15 percent between two young men who had done work for them over the years, and the rest to Combs. There is no evidence Combs had cajoled him into doing it or even knew. Harold Mosher told Combs he should spend the inheritance they were going to give him while they were still living, rather than wait until they died, when he'd have to pay an 18 percent tax because he wasn't a relative. They had plenty of money to live on for the rest of their lives.  Combs went to the Moshers' financial adviser and accountant, who told Combs he could gift the money and came up with the $1.75 million transfer amount.

Again, I know Combs, and I am not going to go out on a limb and say he is 100% clean in this situation.  But he has already been tried in the court of public opinion (note Dimes comment) and he also has had a trial where the jury literally exonerated him on most of the allegations, but apparently was hung (11-1 is what I understand) on one issue. 

So is he guilty or innocent?  I do know he lost his UNL gig.  I do know there are other pieces of his life that are broken and family members affected.  I also know that if he is guilty he needs to pay the price; but again, if he is innocent or not guilty...then what?

3 hours ago, Miles ahead of the rest said:

I don't want to speak too much on it, because I know we see it happen more and more today with people you'd never expect.  With that said, knowing Marcus as long as I have and knowing the type of man he is, which is a hell of a father, loves his wife, such a family man.... I just have a very hard time believing this is actually true.  Someone like Marcus wouldn't do something like this.

Thank you for the perspective @Miles ahead of the rest.  Being out-of-state and not knowing anything about the parties involved, I would be all to ready to believe the worst just based on the picture printed by the LJS.

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

He is going to be retried in the upcoming weeks.  In short, this is the other side of the pillow (so to speak):

Beverly Mosher was a teacher at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and her dad worked for Combs’ dad, Woody, at a Lincoln car dealership. Combs knew the Moshers from the day he was born and was like an adopted son to them. The couple had no living relatives, and had paid for Combs' education and wedding.

Harold Mosher, who had been a lawyer, told a probate lawyer he and his wife wanted their money to be split among three people: 15 percent between two young men who had done work for them over the years, and the rest to Combs. There is no evidence Combs had cajoled him into doing it or even knew. Harold Mosher told Combs he should spend the inheritance they were going to give him while they were still living, rather than wait until they died, when he'd have to pay an 18 percent tax because he wasn't a relative. They had plenty of money to live on for the rest of their lives.  Combs went to the Moshers' financial adviser and accountant, who told Combs he could gift the money and came up with the $1.75 million transfer amount.

Again, I know Combs, and I am not going to go out on a limb and say he is 100% clean in this situation.  But he has already been tried in the court of public opinion (note Dimes comment) and he also has had a trial where the jury literally exonerated him on most of the allegations, but apparently was hung (11-1 is what I understand) on one issue. 

So is he guilty or innocent?  I do know he lost his UNL gig.  I do know there are other pieces of his life that are broken and family members affected.  I also know that if he is guilty he needs to pay the price; but again, if he is innocent or not guilty...then what?

Man... If it was that cut and dry and lawyers/financial planners were involved - I don't really understand how this became such an issue.