uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 11 - @ the CenturyLink Center

uneblinstu

6 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

As someone who deals with these types I;d like to request that people here don't do this type of thing elsewhere

image.png

What?  We aren't going to let McDermott post on here? 

I don't know that seems kind of petty on our part.  :mellow:

Edited by Silverbacked1

7 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Given how we weren't stopping them over the last view trips down i get trying to throw a curveball; the only problem is that we tried to run it against a team with a OWH subscription and they were prepared. At that point without Glynn we were in trouble regardless

If I recall the two trips before we had given up offensive rebounds after playing good d at the hoop and blocking shots. I don’t remember exactly but it seemed like we were doing good things in the m2m and they were getting some bounces. (See fosters and 1 where the ball slipped out of his hand and went in the basket somehow). I agree with the change up Of the defense I just think the 131 hasn’t worked since the Maryland game last year when it took them by surprise.  Think a 23 or running traps or switches out of m2m may be more effective.  Too many good shooters in college to give up uncontested 3s either in the corner or opposite wing 

2 hours ago, hal9000 said:

Made sense to me to run something different out of a time out. McDermott no doubt had something drawn up for a man-to-man defense.  

Maybe he had drawn up dribble the ball at the top of the half court until 10 seconds left on the shot clock  and let Foster go 1 on 1 like we did at the end of the first......who knows.  Agree that a change up was probably in order. 131 with no traps......meh

On 12/9/2017 at 7:56 PM, Dean Smith said:

The reality is Miles is now 0-6 but he was not the reason for this one. We struggled to score in the second half. The times we got our best look at shots and actually scored was after timeouts. He did a very good job with the whiteboard today. Let's say Jordy can make layups or say there are only two egregious calls that went against us instead of the plethora we experienced. Lot ways that game could have have been different today and I'm frustrated it ended that way. I don't know if you are in the camp, I don't pay enough attention to who posts what, but the "Yea! We won and are going to the dance!/Shit! We lost. Got fire MIles now" crowd is really annoying. That is the group I think is the most childish. Instant gratification is their way of life. 

Also our game plan to use their tempo against them was a big part of the reason why we were leading at halftime on the road.

14 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Also, CU has apparently struggled this year vs. 1-3-1's. I probably would have gone to it earlier in the half, but I didn't have a problem with them throwing it out there, either.

CU struggled in the second half against the Baylor 1-3-1 which is a bit different in part because of the length they throw on the floor.  Coach Mac had said they prepared for the Huskers to go 1-3-1 and practiced it all week. He said the zone you all run is similar to Xavier's so there was familiarity. 

I hadn't been able to watch much Husker Hoops this year and I came away extremely impressed with your team.  So many talent upgrades across the lineup.  Glynn Watson is the absolute real deal. Definitely didn't have the deer in the headlight look like in year's past. Seems like you are some solid post play away from being top half of the B1G. 

Best of luck the rest of the way!

14 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Okay, I have had over a day to reconsider my thoughts about the refereeing in our most recent game...NOPE, still thought that the officiating stunk up the joint.  No if, ands or buts about it.

Hard not to be upset about it, took a lot of fire power away from us in the first half with their foul a minute rate for the first 8 to 9 minutes.  Stick us into a rotation night mare.  Someone mentioned in one of the threads they wished we had been further ahead at half.  Had we not had half our rotation on the bench with 2 fouls we probably would have been.  A couple guys logged a lot of minutes early trying to eat minutes.  Again, given the style of play BOTH teams were playing 17 foul shots to 3 is just unacceptable but what I have come to expect playing in Omaha.

13 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Maybe he had drawn up dribble the ball at the top of the half court until 10 seconds left on the shot clock  and let Foster go 1 on 1 like we did at the end of the first......who knows.  Agree that a change up was probably in order. 131 with no traps......meh

At some point you got to give the kid props for making the shot... That was a pretty deep 3 he threw up we were just unfortunate that he made it. Thought we played well but they were just able to make shots down the stretch and we weren't. Great game and cant wait for this Saturday night Kansas game.  should be special.

I went to game and was 2 rows from the top but man I was surprised by the number of open seats in the lower bowl.  Was tempted to move down but figured I'd get the boot wearing red and all.

21 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

As someone who deals with these types I;d like to request that people here don't do this type of thing elsewhere

image.png

While there are probably some fans that would do that, I think damn near everyone that partakes in the discussion here is far above that.  Mainly why this is an incredible place.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

While there are probably some fans that would do that, I think damn near everyone that partakes in the discussion here is far above that.  Mainly why this is an incredible place.  

I think what sets this board apart from others is that Nebraskteball is a relatively niche fanbase.  You've got a bunch of Husker fans that cheer for DONU hoops to fill the time between football and baseball, a bunch of others that are Jayskers :angry:, and a bunch that basically ignore basketball altogether.  What's left is a relatively small and passionate fanbase of true Nebrasketball fans.  And you know what a small, passionate group of people gets you: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizensHusker fans can change the world actually have a meaningful, competent internet conversation."

11 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I went to game and was 2 rows from the top but man I was surprised by the number of open seats in the lower bowl.  Was tempted to move down but figured I'd get the boot wearing red and all.

You have to understand that many of those fans are at the game; yet they would rather stand in the spot above the north basket that sells beer. I think it was cheap beer night!

Many jayshers have to get f***ed up to be a jays bball fan.

Edited by trickey

Late to the thread here. Was there a reason given as to why Palmer was on the bench for an extended time during crunch time in the second half? Also, I continue to have nightmares about the sequence where we fought back to a one-point deficit and Copeland missed a point blank shot at the rim. Creighton goes down and Foster gets an "and-one". That was a 5 point swing. Gotta move on....Good news is this team is way better than in previous years, and we have lots of room to grow. We haven't played anywhere near our best basketball. I think we need to get over some mental barriers and learn how to win games against good teams on the road. 

Going for the rebound Harrell inadvertently hits Krampelj in the face and sent him momentum going away from where Glynn was running to Isaiah which added up together to make a non-foul look like a foul.  Roby swipes at the ball but only touches the ball.

The action in real time is interpreted as Krampelj recoiling from hitting Glynn.

DQ8CCmLUQAMOaJM.jpg:large

I was at the game so didn’t get to see the replay.  Wow that was bad.  And being Watson’s 5th on top of it...... that just sucks.  In real time I get why they called the foul because it was bang-bang.  If they could reverse Jordy’s call in the first half, why couldn’t the officials look at this one to get it right?

51 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Ha!  Typical Nebraska luck when it really counts.  

And the ref was right there . . . looking right at it.

Scheesh.

Here's the new rule, based on the MU and CU games:  If two players from the same team run into each other, Nebraska committed a foul.

I think there was a foul on Glynn Watson last night in the Mississippi State-Cincinnati game.

3 hours ago, busticket said:

I was at the game so didn’t get to see the replay.  Wow that was bad.  And being Watson’s 5th on top of it...... that just sucks.  In real time I get why they called the foul because it was bang-bang.  If they could reverse Jordy’s call in the first half, why couldn’t the officials look at this one to get it right?

I believe the huddle about the Tshimanga call was whether or not Hegner was inside the restricted zone. For those watching on TV, what happened was the guy made the initial call and then the officials huddled up before the game moved on. The whistle sent it to a TV timeout, so I don't know if the broadcast went to commercial before the huddle or not. But after talking for a few moments, they determined that Hegner was outside of the circle, called it a charge and Creighton got the ball after the timeout. Like dimes said, FS1 doesn't have replays available which is stupid and makes life more difficult than it should be. Anyway, I didn't get a chance to see what the play actually looked like on a replay.

The Watson thing was kind of a different case. It was simply a foul call on a rebound (and a horrific one). I don't know if I've ever seen officials huddle up to change a foul to a no-call. The restricted zone judgment was the difference between the two.

Nebraska got some bad luck with the way the officials decided to call the game. Nebraska and Creighton's defensive styles are polar opposites. The Huskers are very aggressive trying to force turnovers with their length. Creighton is much more focused on playing positional defense; they don't try to force turnovers very much. The officials called all the reach ins and Nebraska didn't really adjust. On the other end of the spectrum, while it did get some guys into foul trouble it also helped forced 10 first-half turnovers. That's the tradeoff. On the other end of the floor, Creighton's defense wasn't particularly good in the first half, especially early. Nebraska got a lot of open looks (some they hit, some they didn't); you're not often going to get free throws on open jumpers or dunks. Creighton did have to deal with its own foul trouble in the first half, primarily to its best player in Thomas. 

Creighton's defense picked it up a bit in the second half and Nebraska's offense fell back into that stagnant phase that we see too often. There were a lot of really bad shots in the second half as Creighton crept back into the game. Tshmanga's blown layups were killers because Nebraska actually did generate some easy looks and couldn't capitalize. 

Perhaps the Tshimanga reversal was bad (again, I don't know either way because I couldn't tell live), but it was in the first 10 minutes or whatever it was. And Watson's fifth was certainly atrocious, but Nebraska was still trailing when he had to sit down and he was 4-14 from the field at that point. After that, Krampelj hit FTs to make it 5, Palmer scored to make it 3, Foster put back his own blocked shot to make it 5, Roby scored to make it 3, Krampelj tipped in Harrell's miss to make it 5, Palmer scored to make it 3 and Foster hit the 3 to make it 6. Copeland missed a 3 and that was game. What would Watson have changed during that stretch?

The biggest issue with this game wasn't the officiating, it was the same issues that have plagued this team all season  -- getting nothing from Tshimanga and the stretches of stagnant offense. Nebraska has a chance to do some things in the Big Ten if they can find a way to address those issues.

Edited by Jacob Padilla
typo

17 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I believe the huddle about the Tshimanga call was whether or not Hegner was inside the restricted zone. For those watching on TV, what happened was the guy made the initial call and then the officials huddled up before the game moved on. The whistle sent it to a TV timeout, so I don't know if the broadcast went to commercial before the huddle or not. But after talking for a few moments, they determined that Hegner was outside of the circle, called it a charge and Creighton got the ball after the timeout. Like dimes said, FS1 doesn't have replays available which is stupid and makes life more difficult than it should be. Anyway, I didn't get a chance to see what the play actually looked like on a replay.

The Watson thing was kind of a different case. It was simply a foul call on a rebound (and a horrific one). I don't know if I've ever seen officials huddle up to change a foul to a no-call. The restricted zone judgment was the difference between the two.

Nebraska got some bad luck with the way the officials decided to call the game. Nebraska and Creighton's defensive styles are polar opposites. The Huskers are very aggressive trying to force turnovers with their length. Creighton is much more focused on playing positional defense; they don't try to force turnovers very much. The officials called all the reach ins and Nebraska didn't really adjust. On the other end of the spectrum, while it did get some guys into foul trouble it also helped forced 10 first-half turnovers. That's the tradeoff. On the other end of the floor, Creighton's defense wasn't particularly good in the first half, especially early. Nebraska got a lot of open looks (some they hit, some they didn't); you're not often going to get free throws on open jumpers or dunks. Creighton did have to deal with its own foul trouble in the first half, primarily to its best player in Thomas. 

Creighton's defense picked it up a bit in the second half and Nebraska's offense fell back into that stagnant phase that we see too often. There were a lot of really bad shots in the second half as Creighton crept back into the game. Tshmanga's blown layups were killers because Nebraska actually did generate some easy looks and couldn't capitalize. 

Perhaps the Tshimanga reversal was bad (again, I don't know either way because I couldn't tell live), but it was in the first 10 minutes or whatever it was. And Watson's fifth was certainly atrocious, but Nebraska was still trailing when he had to sit down and he was 4-14 from the field at that point. After that, Krampelj hit FTs to make it 5, Palmer scored to make it 3, Foster put back his own blocked shot to make it 5, Roby scored to make it 3, Krampelj tipped in Harrell's miss to make it 5, Palmer scored to make it 3 and Foster hit the 3 to make it 6. Copeland missed a 3 and that was game. What would Watson have changed during that stretch?

The biggest issue with this game wasn't the officiating, it was the same issues that have plagued this team all season  -- getting nothing from Tshimanga and the stretches of stagnant offense. Nebraska has a chance to do some things in the Big Ten if they can find a way to address those issues.

If they do not call that foul on Watson, Krampelj doesn't get two FT's and we are technically still only down 3 with one of our best players still in the game.  Not saying we still do not lose, but the foul completely changed the game setup.  Instead of down 3 with a chance to get a stop and one of your better defenders still on the floor, you are down 3 with the other team shooting 2 free throws and one of your better defenders on the bench for the rest of the game.  

Edited by hskr4life