Nebraska (6-3) vs. Drake (4-4) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

I'm pretty happy with our progress.  Bria and Janay came in as starters on their previous teams so there is some adjustment to coming off the bench.

I think it will all work out if we can just stay healthy.  Great to see Maddie putting her game together at the forward position.  Jasmine has totally taken me by surprise.  With eight days off we now have time to work on some deficiencies like free throws.

Again couldn't watch because of no ESPN3 access. And had to go to a funeral. Got home in time to hear the last 1/2 of the 4th qtr.....ot's

It did sound as if we got robbed of the win in regulation. The guys announcing said in no uncertain terms it wasn't a correct call to take away the last basket by Nicea. 

Ref's tried to say that the ball was tipped by Drake and the clock didn't start when it should of, so the clock should have run out before Nicea made  the last basket.

Our announcer was sitting right in front of the play and said the drake player did not touch the ball. (we got homered but it didn't work...Drake lost anyway.)

Back to the game.....we are learning how to gut it out and win.  It's not all the way done....we need to learn to play above the other team earlier...shoot free throws for 70-80%...and get more accurate shooting in general (today we were better)...better at driving the lane.....etc etc  There's always stuff to do better, but it is coming together.

The keys seem to have been Jazz and Maddie tuning it up a notch, and Cain's addition. Nicea's getting into the flow after her injury. And of course Taylor's offense.

But, Hannahs the glue that makes this team work.

They just seem to look like thy're more purposeful ... like they're more together as a team....not feeling their way through the games. As a fan that's very encouraging. 

Some rest will do them some good to get healed up. NIce, nice win they deserve it.

Edited by redsteve

10 hours ago, Noah121 said:

NeuLion is the greatest.

Bring on the Hahas and Down Arrows.

Of course, the initial premise is dripping with sarcasm.

Maybe we as fans need to start e mailing the AD about this NeuLion. I listened to the game last night, I dont think that the issue was with NeuLion. It sounded like it was a satillite issue. just my guess though.

Edited by Bugeaters1

46 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Again couldn't watch because of no ESPN3 access. And had to go to a funeral. Got home in time to hear the last 1/2 of the 4th qtr.....ot's

It did sound as if we got robbed of the win in regulation. The guys announcing said in no uncertain terms it wasn't a correct call to take away the last basket by Nicea. 

Ref's tried to say that the ball was tipped by Drake and the clock didn't start when it should of, so the clock should have run out before Nicea made  the last basket.

Our announcer was sitting right in front of the play and said the drake player did not touch the ball. (we got homered but it didn't work...Drake lost anyway.)

Back to the game.....we are learning how to gut it out and win.  It's not all the way done....we need to learn to play above the other team earlier...shoot free throws for 70-80%...and get more accurate shooting in general (today we were better)...better at driving the lane.....etc etc  There's always stuff to do better, but it is coming together.

The keys seem to have been Jazz and Maddie tuning it up a notch, and Cain's addition. Nicea's getting into the flow after her injury. And of course Taylor's offense.

But, Hannahs the glue that makes this team work.

They just seem to look like thy're more purposeful ... like they're more together as a team....not feeling their way through the games. As a fan that's very encouraging. 

Some rest will do them some good to get healed up. NIce, nice win they deserve it.

Well having been closer to the basket, I didn't see anyone tip the ball. and after the refs talked to coach she turned around and said that that was a bunch of BULLSHIT. reading lips of course.

13 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Well having been closer to the basket, I didn't see anyone tip the ball. and after the refs talked to coach she turned around and said that that was a bunch of BULLSHIT. reading lips of course.

Hey,  I could hear it too..... from Omaha.  And had no picture to read lips.

Coach is right again :)

I went back and re-played the game last night (ESPN3),  re-watching the throw-in (several times).  Because of the inability to play frame-by-frame I could not see any definitive evidence either way to prove that the Drake player touched the ball, or did not touch the ball (Who knows what the refs were able to discern, supposedly having frame-by-frame capability; were they able to see where the trajectory of the ball had been changed, or even the spin rate of the ball? How closely did they look?)  Nor did I have the benefit of the Husker Announcers (Neulion (Husker.com) dropped out at the exact moment Nicea's ball went in the basket).  The ESPN3 announcers were useless, only parroting the officials' pronouncement.

FWIW, my personal opinion after re-watching the throw in is the Drake player did not touch the ball.  The Drake player had reached the peak of her jump and had definitely started to descend at the time the ball was still going up.  If the Drake player did touch the ball it could not have been more than a feather touch as I could not see any change in the ball's trajectory.  As an aside, the officials showed little interest in reviewing the immediately prior play, i.e. the missed free throw resulting in Husker possession of the ball, to determine the proper amount of time that should remain on the game clock.

But, I suppose all is well that ends well. they did go to overtime (twice) and instead of having the game end on a what 'may-have-been' controversy,  the second OT ended in a definitive win for the Huskers..

Edited by Red Don

Cincore had the throw in from 28 ft. the pass went to Cain who had two Drake players plus Whitish and Eliey in the lane. Cain tipped the ball into Eliey hands who was about two steps outside of the charge arc. Hittner who is 6-0 was gaurding the inbounds pass.

Edited by Bugeaters1

Thanks Bugeaters, best view yet (from the opposite side of the ESPN replay view and from the sideiine would be a little closer to the players).  I was able to slow it down on my Ipad but the resolution was not fine enough to prove definitively one way or the other.  From this view she could have touched the ball (again, if so no more than a feather touch).   Anyway, it's all a moot point now.

Thanks for the link.  Hard to see the inbounds with out having slow motion.  But it is very clear what coach Williams says after informed of the refs decision.

Woody must have felt a little snake bitten as she was guarding Bachrodt on at least two of her buzzer beaters.