Creighton Match-Ups

BTW, the reason I want Roby and Copeland at the 4 and 5 is actually pretty Creighton specific. Even though I don't think Jordy should be getting the minutes and focus of the offense he does, he creates a defensive nightmare for us against Creighton. Do you want him guarding Krampelj or Harrell or Hegner (is he playing yet?) on the perimeter? I sure as hell don't. And I don't think he is skilled enough to say, "well but they have to guard him on the block on the other end!" At minimum, I think Duby needs to be in there. 

9 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

BTW, the reason I want Roby and Copeland at the 4 and 5 is actually pretty Creighton specific. Even though I don't think Jordy should be getting the minutes and focus of the offense he does, he creates a defensive nightmare for us against Creighton. Do you want him guarding Krampelj or Harrell or Hegner (is he playing yet?) on the perimeter? I sure as hell don't. And I don't think he is skilled enough to say, "well but they have to guard him on the block on the other end!" At minimum, I think Duby needs to be in there. 

It appears Miles is treating Jordy the same way he treated Jack at this point last year.  Still a starter (probably for player confidence reasons if nothing else), but actual playing time varies a ton game-to-game.  I don't expect Jordy to get a copious amount of minutes this game.  something in the 12-18 range.  

17 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

And how's Jordy going to do on guarding their high ballscreen pick and roll?  

I watched the Gonzaga/CU game and CU runs this action where anytime the Gonzaga big got outside of Krampelj, such as on setting a high ball screen, Krampelj would make a hard v-cut down the lane, the guard lobs over the top and, basically every time they ran it in the first half, they scored an easy layup.  Then Gonzaga went to this 2-3 (or, really, sort of a 2-2-1) zone and basically ended that. 

Are we going to run a zone or are we going to want a guy who can chase Krampelj down the lane and knock the pass away or contest the shot?

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

What will they be fellas?

Glynn Watson _____________________

Evan Taylor __________________

James Palmer __________________

(wishful thinking) Isaiah Roby _________________ (probably) Jordy Tshimanga ______________

Isaac Copeland _________________

Seems like it could be different depending on which team is on offense.

17 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Normandy, if you were Creighton, would you have KT on Watson or Palmer? If I were McDermott, I'd go:

Mintz on Taylor

Thomas on Watson

Foster on Palmer (size advantage here for Palmer, but Foster can get underneath him and is strong enough). 

Well, obviously our two best offensive threats at the guard spots are Watson and Palmer, so McDermott is going to stick his two best defenders on them and leave Mintz to guard Evan Taylor, probably.  

I'm not in McDermott's head, but maybe he thinks the best way to control us is to limit the amount of scoring help Watson gets, because Watson isn't going to beat CU by himself, but if Palmer gets going, it could make it a contest.  So, shut down Palmer with their best defender and just take him out of the game from the get go.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

Well, obviously our two best offensive threats at the guard spots are Watson and Palmer, so McDermott is going to stick his two best defenders on them and leave Mintz to guard Evan Taylor, probably.  

I'm not in McDermott's head, but maybe he thinks the best way to control us is to limit the amount of scoring help Watson gets, because Watson isn't going to beat CU by himself, but if Palmer gets going, it could make it a contest.  So, shut down Palmer with their best defender and just take him out of the game from the get go.

The best thing about this year?

Go ahead, take Palmer out of the game.  We still have nice scoring options in Copeland and ET's shot is much improved.

Oh you want to get to our bench huh?

Great, we'll put in Gill who is shooting above 50%, Roby who is a nightmare match up for anyone, and Allen who shoots the ball just fine.

The thing that gives us a chance in every game this year is the fact that we have multiple people that can score.  I love this!  In years past, it was like "sure, let Tai get his and we will shut down everyone else."  This year I feel confident in about 7 of our 9 man rotation to score any trip down the floor.  That in itself will give us a chance against CU, KU and every game we play from here on out.

38 minutes ago, LK1 said:

We need our starters to match the scoring of their starters.

Last year their starters matched the scoring of our entire team.  

If we can make the starting lineup scoring a wash, I like our chances with having a more productive bench.  

They are not very deep, imo. I really think this is the year. 

Here's my match ups for the BleuJays---

Creighton--                                                       NU

Foster, Australian for Beeahhhh------             My balls

Krampus---                                                         My Balls (and probably some Nordic protection runes, too)

Thomas, Khyri Kardashian      --------               My Balls (and some penicillin)

Mintz, Thinn*-----------                                         My Balls (chocolate, salty variety)

Hegner, "Toby"**------------------                             Someone else's balls. Mine are pretty stretched at this point. 

*------not a starter, I think. But I'm not passing that name up.

**--------Where Toby is basically the name of a basset hound. 

I like our chances in this one. I really do. 

If ET can mitigate Foster, I’d like to hope Palmer’s length will give KT some trouble. Foster seems more of a driver tha KT, I think Evan can stay with him, he’s a very good on ball defender.  I give our overall edge to our backcourt, hope Glynn plays controlled but aggressive and hope Duby has some nice dunks and blocks. I really think we can do it!!! Why do I do this to myself every single year???

I'm really frightened, guys. These guys can SCORE. Buckets. 

And they're just as annoyingas ever with their polo wearing ways. I don't know if I can bear to watch it. 

That said, this is the year, as is any year. We just have to force our will and kick the doors off that bouguoisy (boozy) place. 

8 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Foster seems more of a driver tha KT

image.png

They both do their fair share...probably similar to what you'd expect from Palmer. Both guards also have mid-range game.

Crumple is killing it inside. If you can get him to step outside of the paint it's a different story. It's also almost all on passes into the paint..he's typically not going to receive the ball outside of the paint and work his way down there.

The two freshmen are spotting up from outside as opposed to driving.

In terms of offensive assertiveness, Davion Mintz is Benny Parker. Manny "Garbage Time" Suarez  has more shot attempts.