Nebraska (5-3) vs. Kansas (7-0) game thread

Bugeaters1

15 hours ago, redsteve said:

I Think it's a sign of mentally growing up a bit basketball wise, and learning what it takes to get it done.

Cincore was tough,  a very tough competitor.   Cain presence is a factor in our success.  Just good ball by the whole team. Learned from the first half, and adjusted big time in tthe second. 

THIS!

I said in another Fourm (or was it another Board :Redface:

It seems that players on good teams make each other better.

That may be what we are seeing happening.  A lot of players seem to be elevating their games.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Red Don

wow--------nice road win. fought through that tough first half. my gosh, anyone hear hannah's postgame interview? she wasn't wound up or anything :lol: man she can talk fast.

no, the kansas team aren't "world beaters", but, still a good win for the huskers. hope the TK thing corrects itself----and hope she can stay healthy.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I feel like Kate Cain might be the most important recruit in the last few years Nebraska has got... I feel like with out her this year Nebraska would be a totally different team ... She amazes me. I think I lot of top teams nationally could use her. Her 4 years here will be amazing...

Does anyone know the record for total blocked shots at Nebraska?? I feel like she could be on her way.

2 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I feel like Kate Cain might be the most important recruit in the last few years Nebraska has got... I feel like with out her this year Nebraska would be a totally different team ... She amazes me. I think I lot of top teams nationally could use her. Her 4 years here will be amazing...

Does anyone know the record for total blocked shots at Nebraska?? I feel like she could be on her way.

couldn't agree more. her instincts serve her and the team well. she really appears to have strong hands. like how she keeps ball high on a rebound---not to mention other times. while not the quickest feet you will find, she keeps herself pretty well under control. her mind and body are pretty well in sync. think we all have seen some post players that try and do too much and lose body control leading to wild shots or committing really dumb/bad fouls. didn't care for the foul (dumb) she received when she tried to make a  play about 12-15ft out from the rim. she shouldn't be out there. saw the disgust in her face too when the whistle blew---she knew it wasn't where she should be. definitely a foul she didn't need to dish out.

27 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

couldn't agree more. her instincts serve her and the team well. she really appears to have strong hands. like how she keeps ball high on a rebound---not to mention other times. while not the quickest feet you will find, she keeps herself pretty well under control. her mind and body are pretty well in sync. think we all have seen some post players that try and do too much and lose body control leading to wild shots or committing really dumb/bad fouls. didn't care for the foul (dumb) she received when she tried to make a  play about 12-15ft out from the rim. she shouldn't be out there. saw the disgust in her face too when the whistle blew---she knew it wasn't where she should be. definitely a foul she didn't need to dish out.

From what I have seen Katie might follow the Mikaela Foecke road to greatness at Nebraska.  In that Mikaela came in with all the talent in the world and showed it,  but physically was not really ready for the big time.  She has restrucured her body and maybe just physically matured over the last three years to be even better.

Not saying that aren't great players, just that when they got here they might have been not fully "grown" and will naturally get stronger and maybe a bit more fit.  And as Katie matures she will be able to push more weights, and change her body so that she will become a monster in the next few years.

I am not saying she needs to loose weight or get in shape.  Because her body type won't change that much, but it can change some. 

Edited by Silverbacked1

42 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Agree; what a find she was.   I believe Janet Smith is the all-time block leader at over 200.  Kate would have to average 60 or so a year; that could be doable.  Single season is Danielle Page at 78.   That's less than 3 per game, so also doable.  

26 minutes ago, HB said:

Agree; what a find she was.   I believe Janet Smith is the all-time block leader at over 200.  Kate would have to average 60 or so a year; that could be doable.  Single season is Danielle Page at 78.   That's less than 3 per game, so also doable.  

They said on TV last night that she was averaging 3 blocks a game. So in 7 games that would be 21 already and she had 5 blocks last night. She is almost halfway to 60 already then. I like her chances. Hope the injury bug doesn't hit anyone else.

Does anyone else think by having Kissinger on the floor the same time as Whittish that it takes down Whittish confidence? With Kissinger taking a lot of shots it makes me wonder if Whittish doesn't have the same confidence as when she is playing by herself on the court knowing she is the ring leader in shooting then.

I just keep thinking to myself what would happen if the 2 of them would go off together on the same night and add in Cains points. Could be something we haven't seen in years.. To me we have 3 players that could go off at any moment. Unlike a lot of previous years where it was one of Griffin, Hooper, Cady or T.

One of Kate's biggest assets is her smarts.  If I remember correctly she was Salutatorian in a rather large high school class.  If you watch her she adapts well to things as they change during the game.  She efficiently positions her self as she moves around the post.  Having a great defensive center to defend the middle does more then just block shots it makes everyone driving in there think twice about whether to shoot or not.  She came to the team late missing a lot of summer practices and had the injury then as well.  Just look at her development to date and we still have games left in the non conference.  She may not be in the great category yet but her upside for all the reasons mentioned in other posts is tremendous.

She officially has 30 blocks for the season and leads the conference with an average of 3.3 per game.

On a side note Woody leads the league in 3 pt. shooting at 55%.

Edited by HUD

31 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

They said on TV last night that she was averaging 3 blocks a game. So in 7 games that would be 21 already and she had 5 blocks last night. She is almost halfway to 60 already then. I like her chances. Hope the injury bug doesn't hit anyone else.

Does anyone else think by having Kissinger on the floor the same time as Whittish that it takes down Whittish confidence? With Kissinger taking a lot of shots it makes me wonder if Whittish doesn't have the same confidence as when she is playing by herself on the court knowing she is the ring leader in shooting then.

I just keep thinking to myself what would happen if the 2 of them would go off together on the same night and add in Cains points. Could be something we haven't seen in years.. To me we have 3 players that could go off at any moment. Unlike a lot of previous years where it was one of Griffin, Hooper, Cady or T.

I don't think so anyway.  It kind of looked like Hannah recognized (or was told by coach to score) that she needed to step up big time.  Hannah has lots of confidence, as shown this year and last.  Her after the game interview showed she was calm, and really pumped up.

I keep thinking we need more consistent scorers than  only Taylor.  Cain adds to the scoring mix to as she gets close to 10 pts/game.  So, if Hannah can add lets say 10+ pts/game  ...it's what we need. Let alone others having a special night, or just getting more baskets. More the better.

Edited by redsteve

I think it's like 25 or 27 blocks for a freshman. Not sure what the school record is though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is it possible Cain may grow in height some more?  She is already so tall and I like that she knows to keep the ball high above her on rebounds.  But something tells me she may not be done growing yet.
She has really big feet, so she could grow.

Cain....she's obviously been well coached before she ever got on the Husker court.   Excellent basic skills and awareness.  Good BBall IQ.

Both of her parents, I believe were college athletes. Mother played college basketball ?  She may not yet be all she can be, but the ceiling is very high. Needs strength and conditioning, she'll get as time goes on. 

In an interview, she has said she was a bit taken back by the change going to the college level from H.S. and AAU ball.  She's leaning and adapting fast. Huge addition to this team. (not literally speaking :) )

the only thing that is a bit disappointing is her free throw stats (i say that because i could swear i read she had shot at an 80% clip coming out of high school?) 10-20...50%  
she isn't the only one though, whole team could pick it up!

We did at least beat the hawks in FT shooting last night. 64.6% is not great but at least it is better than the 50 or so % that they have been shooting.