uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 10 - vs. Minnesota

uneblinstu

5 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

This still doesn’t add up because they got the ball back afterwards. I understand that they get 2 shots and the ball for the tech. But the and the ball should be satisfied by their chance to shot they’re free throws. Not saying this is the rule just saying 4 shots and the ball seems a little extreme

I am not 100 % sure, but I believe if the technical is on the player, the other team gets the ball.  If it is on the coach, then they would have shot the 2 technical foul shots first, and the 2 regular foul shots, with play continuing as if the two free throws were regular.

35 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I also enjoyed the show the referee put on when he decided to toss the gentleman from that cheap front row seat.  He got in his face and ordered him out.  The "security" man came over and appeared to shake his hand, faked taking him out, and let him sit in the seats behind the front row.  Gotta love it.

It’s awesome that they didn’t make him leave the game. Also that was after the weird shot that didn’t go anywhere right. Horrible call 1st of all he clearly was out of bounds and touching the ground and 2nd it should be a travel if the throws up the ball and then catches it again. 

On another note I noticed during Husker Power the student holding the sign had a spotlight on them. Not sure who controls this but maybe it’s good news. Also Matt as AD should make a push for sponsoring it again even though his job is football

Tremendous win. Best single game performance (in my opinion) since the magical run in 2013-2014 - perhaps since... gasp... Wisconsin?

My main takeway from tonight that hasn't already been mentioned in this thread (I agree with everyone on pretty much everything) is something I've been thinking but hadn't officially decided until tonight.

Thomas Allen is going to be a STUD here. Like... really good.

7 hours ago, hhcdave said:

Tremendous win. Best single game performance (in my opinion) since the magical run in 2013-2014 - perhaps since... gasp... Wisconsin?

My main takeway from tonight that hasn't already been mentioned in this thread (I agree with everyone on pretty much everything) is something I've been thinking but hadn't officially decided until tonight.

After looking at the stats I realized his minutes were even better than I thought. I assumed Glynn played about 36 minutes but he only played 32 and Allen made it so you didn’t even notice when he was gone. I think he should be playing more as long as he can guard his man.

7 hours ago, hhcdave said:

I came away with the same thoughts on Thomas Allen....Miles yanked Glynn due to a bad alley oop pass that led to a Minnesota three and Thomas Allen comes in right away and swishes a three from the corner.  Huge shot.  He looks like a freshman in stature out there but he always looks poised. 

Taking a peek over at GopherHole to get a nice dose of schadenfreude to start my day and a big talking point for them this morning is officiating.  Naturally, they feel like they got jobbed mercilessly by the refs and to a certain extent I have agree.  We tend not to think about it after a win but I did think we were the beneficiaries of pretty, um, friendly refs last night.  What say you HHC?

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Taking a peek over at GopherHole to get a nice dose of schadenfreude to start my day and a big talking point for them this morning is officiating.  Naturally, they feel like they got jobbed mercilessly by the refs and to a certain extent I have agree.  We tend not to think about it after a win but I did think we were the beneficiaries of pretty, um, friendly refs last night.  What say you HHC?

I only got to watch the second half, but what I saw was dude blocking shots that would normally be called as fouls. 

I didn't complain.

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

To be honest - I mentioned to my buddy who I went to the game with that in the first half I felt like we finally got some 50/50 calls to go our way. 

For 35 minutes we got a decent whistle.    The last 5 sucked, 3 blind mice.   The missed travel into contact in the lane by the Minny guy was ridiculous.  how 3 guys could miss that I'll never know.  A judgment call is one thing, I try to stay quiet on those.   But that wasn't a judgment call.   That was a flat out miss, or a gutless no call.  

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

To be honest - I mentioned to my buddy who I went to the game with that in the first half I felt like we finally got some 50/50 calls to go our way. 

The refs allowed for a more physical game...which IMO bodes well for what we want to do on defense.  Minnesota didn't adapt.   

Great, great win.  A few things:

• I said this team has the potential to be a great home team awhile back.  We have the talent to match anyone when we are in our own building.  It didn't look like an upset tonight.  
  • If I had my way, we'd start conference play in the arena of the best B1G team every year.  Credit MSU for showing us what elite basketball looks like before this game.
  • Thomas Allen is officially a serviceable backup for Glynn at PG.  He wouldn't have scored 30 with the same minutes, but I bet he would've scored 15.  That's a hell of a compliment for a true Freshman.  
  • Funny how I haven't seen any bitching about missing Morrow and Jacobson on this thread.  I guess that's fairly easy to forget when Copeland and Roby are dominating All-Americans.  
  • Duby finally had the exact game he was brought here for:  3 blocks, 2 huge momentum dunks.  YES.
  • Defensively, I saw some really, really good changes.  No more slowplaying crap on pick and roll.  We hedged HARD, we doubled the post HARD, we blocked 9 shots.  We had a friggin identity.  AMEN.  

I still think we lose @ Creighton, but I think KU is going to be the game of the year.  

1 minute ago, LK1 said:

• I said this team has the potential to be a great home team awhile back.  We have the talent to match anyone when we are in our own building.  It didn't look like an upset tonight.  
  • If I had my way, we'd start conference play in the arena of the best B1G team every year.  Credit MSU for showing us what elite basketball looks like before this game.
  • Thomas Allen is officially a serviceable backup for Glynn at PG.  He wouldn't have scored 30 with the same minutes, but I bet he would've scored 15.  That's a hell of a compliment for a true Freshman.  
  • Funny how I haven't seen any bitching about missing Morrow and Jacobson on this thread.  I guess that's fairly easy to forget when Copeland and Roby are dominating All-Americans.  
  • Duby finally had the exact game he was brought here for:  3 blocks, 2 huge momentum dunks.  YES.
  • Defensively, I saw some really, really good changes.  No more slowplaying crap on pick and roll.  We hedged HARD, we doubled the post HARD, we blocked 9 shots.  We had a friggin identity.  AMEN.  

I still think we lose @ Creighton, but I think KU is going to be the game of the year.  

Did Rosenthal tweet about it? How else would you know this?

Edited by atskooc

9 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Do you know what that person did? I missed it and the commentators didn't give a reason.

If I'm remembering correctly, it was right in the spot where Evan Taylor got the inbound/backcourt pass and was trapped on the sideline and tried to dribble through the trap down the sideline, and there was contact and, instead of calling the foul, they called out-of-bounds off Evan.

Before they inbounded the ball, the official went and got a towel (which he then did NOT use to wipe the floor where Evan had fallen, so I have no idea why he wanted a towel) called a security person over, pointed out the guy, and had him removed.

I'm guessing the gentleman provided his candid views on the no-call on the sideline.

Another common theme I'm seeing over there is just how high their expectations are for the Gophers this year.  They're pissed because they expect to challenge MSU for the league title and view their team as a top 10 or top 5 type team.  (Don't know what they see because that team is nowhere NEAR ready for the challenge the Spartans present)

The expectation is to go something like 14-4 in the league this year and this bad loss is going to make their margin for error that much smaller.  (True, but what I saw last night is a poorly coached team with no depth at all, they look more like a 9-9 or 8-10 team to me - I can also see why an Alabama team almost beat them with only 3 guys on the floor)

The also feel like they lost to a vastly inferior opponent in Nebraska last night.  A Gophers team with 2 top 100 guys should win in a cakewalk...(let's ignore the fact that Nebraska has 4 top 100 guys)

The examples are numerous, but I will say that the more time that goes by the more convinced I am that their run last season and start to this season continues to look shockingly similar to our experience in 2014. :)

13 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If I'm remembering correctly, it was right in the spot where Evan Taylor got the inbound/backcourt pass and was trapped on the sideline and tried to dribble through the trap down the sideline, and there was contact and, instead of calling the foul, they called out-of-bounds off Evan.

Before they inbounded the ball, the official went and got a towel (which he then did NOT use to wipe the floor where Evan had fallen, so I have no idea why he wanted a towel) called a security person over, pointed out the guy, and had him removed.

I'm guessing the gentleman provided his candid views on the no-call on the sideline.

The ref eventually used the towel clean off the basketball.  Was quite dramatic about it.  I wondered if the guy threw a soft drink at the ball.  That will teach it.  

15 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Copeland and Roby dominated All-Americans?   Wow, I'll have what you're having.  

9 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Couple quick observations.

— Big play in my mind was when we came out of a time out early and Copeland did a reverse dribble to get an easy layup.  Great great draw up in the TO.

— We had more rebounds and blocks than Minnesota.

— Minny has a few hot heads and they were getting frustrated.

— We kind of took Minny to the woodshed.  It was a lot less close than the final margin.  Couple of times we had the chance to push the lead to 20 I think.

Allen has a decent showing, good to see Gill attack when the shot wasn’t falling.  Jordy looked better.  

— Effort was tremendous by both crowd and players.

Another great draw up after a TO was the play to isolate Roby on a mismatch down low. Nice delivery pass from Jordy.