uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 10 - vs. Minnesota

uneblinstu

That was a different Nebraska team than we've seen all year. If they bring that energy, effort and fire most nights, they'll be playing in March.

• Glynn: TFS
  • They were really aggressive in pushing the ball tonight. Hope we see more of that.
  • Copeland quietly had a solid game.
  • Jordy still struggled a bit on the offensive end, though he did have a pretty little dime to Roby after the under 8 TO in the 2nd half. He was much, much better on the defensive end and boards. Duby, too.
  • First game in five where they were under 40% from 3.
  • But they got to the line a ton tonight and made their free throws. That's closer to what I expect from them than what we've seen this year.
  • Miles said they used a defense on Lynch, I think, that they hadn't practiced before their walk-through yesterday.
  • There was an offensive foul where Mason got trucked by Duby. Miles asked him if he was OK before the inbound. They both shared a laugh. Cool moment.
  • Crowd was legit tonight. Good work, team. "Husker Power" needs to be better.
  • Seems like we've got our rotation pared down to 9. That's probably a good spot for it.
  • I actually liked the little scuffle and chippyness that led to the technical fouls. NU needs to play with more of that edge.
  • The guy who took the half court shot before the game was asked how he was feeling, he said: "Not too great". Then he nailed the halfcourt shot. I turned to my buddy and said, "let's hope that's hint at what's to come." Turns out it was. Fun night had by all...except for my Minnesota friends.

Let's bring that effort and energy to the Clink on Saturday and see what happens.

Edited by uneblinstu
Just waiting for the Sportscenter highlights.

That was fun.

I think we will be pretty good if we can play like that every game. But I still think we can play better, we left quite a few open threes out there.

Defensively I feel like the biggest difference this game vs last is that our bigs didn't have to guard there bigs all the way out to the three point line. It clogged the lane and they couldn't get anything going inside.

TM has completely abandoned the Lithuania/Gonzaga continuity offense and I’m doing a happy dance. Just playing motion Basketball after running some good sets. Guys making plays and unselfishly moving the ball. 

Also, Lewis calls a lot of the sets and manages a lot of the ATOs. Good on Miles to recognize the issue. 

Still think there’s some things on make/miss O transition I’d like to see improved and more defined - but nonetheless we’re making some huge strides offensively. 

Oh yeah and defense was nice or whatever. 

Score points baby!

- Perhaps the best played game by the Huskers, let me correct that statement, it was the best whole game we have played.

- Good crowd, in fact, I thought the student section did an excellent job tonight.  I still cannot believe people were leaving with 8 minutes left.

- I believe this was a very important for Coach Miles and his staff.  Shout out to the coach who scouted the Gophers and drew up the game plan.

- Still trying to digest the technical fiasco.  Were three technical's called...what happened.  It was hard to see, and there was no replay.

- I was disappointed that the students went on the floor, why?  We should have expected to win that game...

- I want to provide a small shout out to Jordy.  He still has numerous issues, but his defense, his passing and his effort was improved.

- Once again Isaiah had a quiet, but affective game. 

- Same with Isaac. 

- What the heck, we got solid play from our entire nine man rotation...BUT...

- Holy heck, Glynn was amazing tonight. Wowser, what a great game.

This was a game we should have won by a handful of points.  But we pretty much built a lead and kept the lead throughout.  We struggled a bit with turnovers, but we outworked Minnesota.  Plain and simply, we outhustled and outperformed a good team.  Grade A-.

Edited by huskercwg

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

How about Glynn's sick no look pass to Jordy?  Too bad Jordy travelled but that was next level stuff right there.  Glynn needs to have this kind of performance every night.

If Jordy traveled on that play it still didn't match when 11 for Minny pushed off, got almost to the lane, picked up his dribble, stepped behind the 3 point line and drained a 3.  The refs were inconsistent to say the least.

Defense set the tempo tonight. I liked that we pushed the ball on offense when we needed to, but were willing hold up, move the ball, and find the right shot. There were a couple transition opportunities that got away from us, but for the most part we stuck to the game plan. Our players went right for their weaknesses during the 1st half and kept the heat up the whole 1st part of the 2nd half. Nice rotation, nice help from the bench. Would have liked to see one of the Mr. Gill's shots go in on his birthday but I think he'll take the win as a birthday present.

Now let's retake the state on Saturday

7 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

- Perhaps the best played game by the Huskers, let me correct that statement, it was the best whole game we have played.

- Good crowd, in fact, I thought the student section did an excellent job tonight.  I still cannot believe people were leaving with 8 minutes left.

- I believe this was a very important for Coach Miles and his staff.  Shout out to the coach who scouted the Gophers and drew up the game plan.

- Still trying to digest the technical fiasco.  Were three technical's called...what happened.  It was hard to see, and there was no replay.

- I was disappointed that the students went on the floor, why?  We should have expected to win that game...

- I want to provide a small shout out to Jordy.  He still has numerous issues, but his defense, his passing and his effort was improved.

- Once again Isaiah had a quiet, but affective game. 

- Same with Isaac. 

- What the heck, we got solid play from our entire nine man rotation...BUT...

- Holy heck, Glynn was amazing tonight. Wowser, what a great game.

This was a game we should have won by a handful of points.  But we pretty much built a lead and kept the lead throughout.  We struggled a bit with turnovers, but we outworked Minnesota.  Plain and simply, we outhustled and outperformed a good team.  Grade A-.

Yes three technicals.  One on MN and one each on Palmer & Jordy.

1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

I guess I don't necessarily understand the college rule then.  Why did Minnesota shoot 2 shots, instead of 4 and why didn't we get 2???

Shot 2 because Coffee was fouled when he pushed Palmer off on the drive.  The Palmer and Coffee technicals offset.  Minnesota then shot 2 more free throws for Jordy's technical. 

2 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I guess I don't necessarily understand the college rule then.  Why did Minnesota shoot 2 shots, instead of 4 and why didn't we get 2???

Palmer was originally called for a foul on the play. Then the three techs dropped. 

Couple quick observations.

— Big play in my mind was when we came out of a time out early and Copeland did a reverse dribble to get an easy layup.  Great great draw up in the TO.

— We had more rebounds and blocks than Minnesota.

— Minny has a few hot heads and they were getting frustrated.

— We kind of took Minny to the woodshed.  It was a lot less close than the final margin.  Couple of times we had the chance to push the lead to 20 I think.

Allen has a decent showing, good to see Gill attack when the shot wasn’t falling.  Jordy looked better.  

— Effort was tremendous by both crowd and players.

I also enjoyed the show the referee put on when he decided to toss the gentleman from that cheap front row seat.  He got in his face and ordered him out.  The "security" man came over and appeared to shake his hand, faked taking him out, and let him sit in the seats behind the front row.  Gotta love it.

18 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Shot 2 because Coffee was fouled when he pushed Palmer off on the drive.  The Palmer and Coffee technicals offset.  Minnesota then shot 2 more free throws for Jordy's technical. 

This still doesn’t add up because they got the ball back afterwards. I understand that they get 2 shots and the ball for the tech. But the and the ball should be satisfied by their chance to shot they’re free throws. Not saying this is the rule just saying 4 shots and the ball seems a little extreme

15 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I also enjoyed the show the referee put on when he decided to toss the gentleman from that cheap front row seat.  He got in his face and ordered him out.  The "security" man came over and appeared to shake his hand, faked taking him out, and let him sit in the seats behind the front row.  Gotta love it.

Do you know what that person did? I missed it and the commentators didn't give a reason.