Minnesota Game

nustudent

Crap...why do I get so flippin nervous about these games.  We should beat these dudes by 10 to 15 points.  Right???

So I worry…will we be too rested?  Will we be rusty after eight days off?  Will Minnesota play out of their mind like they did against Michigan?  Will we shoot okay?  Can we rebound?  Can we take care of the ball?  Will Glynn break out of his slump?  Will Anton and Isaiah score and play well?  Will Isaac and James stay hot?  Will we play with intensity?  Will the anniversary celebration that is taking place at this game (for their arena anniversary) have an effect on the crowd or the referees?  And so on…

52 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Crap...why do I get so flippin nervous about these games.  We should beat these dudes by 10 to 15 points.  Right???

So I worry…will we be too rested?  Will we be rusty after eight days off?  Will Minnesota play out of their mind like they did against Michigan?  Will we shoot okay?  Can we rebound?  Can we take care of the ball?  Will Glynn break out of his slump?  Will Anton and Isaiah score and play well?  Will Isaac and James stay hot?  Will we play with intensity?  Will the anniversary celebration that is taking place at this game (for their arena anniversary) have an effect on the crowd or the referees?  And so on…

Look at it this way.  In our current 5 game stretch any reasonable person would have expected to go 3-2 with L's in Madison and Minneapolis.  A split of the road games would have been exceeding expectations.  So we've already exceeded expectations in this 5 game stretch.  Tonight we're playing with house money against a depleted and probably demoralized Gopher team.

No need to be nervous, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 11:29 AM, nustudent said:

Personally think this is a must win game tonight.

Yeah, yeah....there is a lot of time left in the year...blah blah....but I think we need this one if we are going to have a successful season.

We need this for a few reasons in my opinion.   Number one for confidence.   Beating the North Dakotas and Marists is certainly better than losing to the Incarnate Words, but it doesn't really do much for you mentally.   A win tonight would be a nice boost of confidence for the team entering the heart of the season.   Number two, it curbs the tide of a potential run of negativity.   Lose tonight and we likely follow it up with two more losses.   Yes, all the goals are still in front of us at 6-6, but the road is that much tougher.   10-5 entering January is a lot nicer than 9-6.   Especially when that extra win is over a likely 4 seed or better in the dance.  Number three....resume builder.   We lose tonight and we will likely enter January with not one win over a Top 100 school/team.   Losing at St Johns and UCF, can be overcome, but they took away a couple opportunities for an RPI building win.   With the Big 10 looking a little down and with us getting some favorable draws with the Big 10 schedule, we won't have a ton of opportunities for high quality wins.   Going 18-13 might not be enough with those considerations.  

Minnesota is a very good team, but not unbeatable, especially at home.  We need to take advantage of the opportunity. 

So, as it turns out, I think @nustudent called it pretty much on the nose here - the Minnesota game could pretty clearly be pointed to as a real turning point for this team.  Kudos for that.

But I still think that tomorrow we'll be facing our first truly genuine "must win" situation.  It's gonna be a battle for sure, this Michigan team scares the bejeezus outta me, but it's all ahead of us right now.  If we can manage to overcome the hostile environment and hold Wagner and their 3 point shooting somewhat in check, I think we've got a puncher's chance to get this.

LET'S GOOO!