Minnesota Game

nustudent

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Gosh their forum really hammers pitino, for a guy that’s won 20 more games then he’s lost for his career there and had a winning record all but one year. Granted this year has gotta be a let down for them but it’s rocked by scandal. To boot he’s got a recruiting class coming in with three guys all from Minnesota, one guy ranked in the top 60 I think 

They fired a coach averaging 20 wins a season (Tubby) to hire Pitino to bring them back to the scandal-ridden glory of the Clem Haskins era.

5 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

They fired a coach averaging 20 wins a season (Tubby) to hire Pitino to bring them back to the scandal-ridden glory of the Clem Haskins era.

The decision to fire Tubby Smith was bizarre, at least from afar, at the time.  Seems like they were always chasing someone bigger and better, ended up going after the Pitino name and getting someone worse, and now have likely been set back several years once Pitino is canned at the end of the season.

On another note, Minnesota has opened up as a 1.5 point favorite.  Given how slow Vegas and the betting public has taken to react to Nebrasketball, this isn't surprising.  Nebraska hasn't been road warriors by any means as they haven't played nearly as well away from the Vault, even in their recent wins.  However, give me Nebraska all day long with this line.  We proved we can beat them at full strength and I really like our chances against a depleted team that has lost 8 of 9 and also lost in OT just two days ago.  I'm not saying Minnesota has quit because they didn't play like they had against Michigan (who had an awful game in their own right) but if we punch this team in the mouth early, I don't think we are going to get much fight back.  Husker cover and win outright by 7 points, with or without Coffey playing for Minnesota.

13 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

The decision to fire Tubby Smith was bizarre, at least from afar, at the time.  Seems like they were always chasing someone bigger and better, ended up going after the Pitino name and getting someone worse, and now have likely been set back several years once Pitino is canned at the end of the season.

On another note, Minnesota has opened up as a 1.5 point favorite.  Given how slow Vegas and the betting public has taken to react to Nebrasketball, this isn't surprising.  Nebraska hasn't been road warriors by any means as they haven't played nearly as well away from the Vault, even in their recent wins.  However, give me Nebraska all day long with this line.  We proved we can beat them at full strength and I really like our chances against a depleted team that has lost 8 of 9 and also lost in OT just two days ago.  I'm not saying Minnesota has quit because they didn't play like they had against Michigan (who had an awful game in their own right) but if we punch this team in the mouth early, I don't think we are going to get much fight back.  Husker cover and win outright by 7 points, with or without Coffey playing for Minnesota.

I'd say there's a very good chance Coffey will be available for this one.  They're celebrating the 90th birthday of the Williams Center and probably will want very much to win.

Should be a packed house.

As far as the Tubby thing, they had an idiot AD who thought it would be a good idea to bring in a "Villa 7" coach because it was the in thing to do at the time.  Turns out maybe not so much and the AD was fired because of horrible alcoholism and/or sexual harassment (I can't remember which ATM) so that's how they got where they are now.

I would imagine that a fair number of Gophs fans would tell you that firing Tubby - especially the way they did - was a mistake that should never have happened.  But if there's one thing that seems to be a constant at the U of M Athletics Department it's the inability to get out of their own way.

8 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Agreed. We need some adidas bball gear sold with that Herbie logo on it!

That Herbie may work for football; but in basketball, he reminds me of when the senior football players barnstormed the state after the season and had some 6'5" 320 lb guy playing for fun.

6 hours ago, 49r said:

I'd say there's a very good chance Coffey will be available for this one.  They're celebrating the 90th birthday of the Williams Center and probably will want very much to win.

As far as the Tubby thing, they had an idiot AD who thought it would be a good idea to bring in a "Villa 7" coach because it was the in thing to do at the time.  Turns out maybe not so much and the AD was fired because of horrible alcoholism and/or sexual harassment (I can't remember which ATM) so that's how they got where they are now.

I would imagine that a fair number of Gophs fans would tell you that firing Tubby - especially the way they did - was a mistake that should never have happened.  But if there's one thing that seems to be a constant at the U of M Athletics Department it's the inability to get out of their own way.

To the bold, it's going to be packed with me and my wife cheering for Nebraska all game! Only game I'll get to this year unless we make a never before seen miracle run and I end up having to travel for a sweet 16 game.

16 hours ago, 49r said:

As of yesterday Coffey was still not practicing.  With that in mind, I would be surprised if he played.  And if he does, will he be at full strength?

29 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Can't believe the money is going towards Minnesota?  Line is up to 3 in favor of Minnesota, it was at 1.5 last night before I went to sleep.

The home team gets a couple free points this way, so it seems like they think this is a toss up. Seems to align with KenPom's 51% chance game. Good thing Pomeroy has been wrong many times this season.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The home team gets a couple free points this way, so it seems like they think this is a toss up. Seems to align with KenPom's 51% chance game. Good thing Pomeroy has been wrong many times this season.

And Vegas.  :D

Edited by hskr4life