Shooting % under Coach Miles

5 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

This isn't an overall shooting % but it breaks down 2s/3s and shows eFG%

image.png

Miles has had good shooting teams before.

Also our tourney run was fueled by FT attempts that augmented our poor 3pt shooting

Thanks for posting this. Do you have any idea how much our 2pt % dropped from our last game?

1 hour ago, nuhusker7 said:

Thanks for posting this. Do you have any idea how much our 2pt % dropped from our last game?

It was 47.5% coming in which was more like 230th in the country

Here it is even further breaking it down by at the rim 2s vs other 2s.

B1G http://barttorvik.com/teampbp.php?conlimit=B10&year=2018&sort=1

All teams http://barttorvik.com/teampbp.php?year=2018&sort=1

To me it looks like the guys that Miles recruits don't fit the offense that he runs.  In my simple non-coach mind, if you recruit great athletes then you should increase tempo and create fast breaks (and press more on defense, but that's off topic).  If you recruit shooters, then set up in the half-court and be patient.  This is obviously a generalization but I think the principle holds true.  

Took a look at Hoop Math web site to look at our offensive picture thus far.

http://www.hoop-math.com/leader_o2018.php

We're 290th in effective FG percentage, although these are straight stats and not adjusted to the competition. So our adjusted offense in KenPom is actually 129. Anyway, I thought these were interesting:.

Shots at the rim: 26% of possessions, which is 334th in the country. Shooting 60%, 189th in the country.

2 pt Jump shots: 39% of possessions, 17th in the country. Shooting just 34% on those, 244th in the country

3 pt shots: 34% of possessions, 254th in the country. Shooting 36% on those, 143rd in the country.

Just a quick observation. We take an extraordinarily high number of 2 pt jump shots, and that's what we're statistically the worst at. It would be easy to point at coaching or our "system," but it's also worth noting that our bigs are not requiring double teams because of poor play. So opponents' guards can stay out on our perimeter shooters, who are decent this year. Inside defenders can also leave their man to help cut off drives by the wings, since they're not afraid to leave our bigs. That leaves openings inside the arc for jumpers, which we're apparently taking and not making at a high rate.