uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 8 - B1G/ACC Challenge: Boston College

uneblinstu

10 hours ago, uneblinstu said:
  • Not sure we really need an in game emcee.

9 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Thought D-Wayne would grow on me, didn’t happen.

THANK. YOU.

But the guy in Section 204 that D-Wayne talked to early in the first half certainly was a ball of charisma, wasn't he?!

We have hit desperate times to have an emcee at the games.  Here's a though, how about fire him and use the money to hire a person who can actually put together a better video before they announce the starting line-up.  That is painfully bad and does nothing to get the crowd worked up.  It would be better not even having a video instead of playing that horrible one!!!

5 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

THANK. YOU.

But the guy in Section 204 that D-Wayne talked to early in the first half certainly was a ball of charisma, wasn't he?!

True story: That guy sits directly in front of me normally. I was given some lower bowl tickets yesterday so I missed out on that whole thing. No tshirts for me. :(

-Jordy needs to work on his FT shooting(among other things).  His 38% from the line this year really pulls down the team percentage everyone else is 68% and above(besides the other 2 centers)  which is okay.

-Pick and Roll defense needs a lot of work yet...

-Hopefully our rebounding improves when Roby gets back.  Guys still need to improve on this though

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

- The referees had some horrible calls.  However, overall they were fine, but man, a couple of the player control calls were terrible.  I was somewhat shocked that our bench didn't get a technical after the call on James.  Phew, that was bad.

That call by the "Hey! Hey! We're the Monkees" haircut ref could have been huge.  I think it was 49-42 at the time and BC went down and scored (4 or 5 point swing) and that's when they made their run to cut it to 2 a couple of times.  NU might have run away with it if not for that call.  Good job by them to recover late and win somewhat comfortably.  It didn't hurt that BC stole the home team's M.O. by going into a late scoring drought with ice-cold shooting.

It probably should have been a  no call with the made basket.  Palmer got far enough to the side that the guy barely got hit because he was bailing/flopping.  What made it worse was the overly demonstrative sprinting to the scorer's table to call the charge.  Why can't these zebras learn that they should not be part of the show?

I cringe about as bad when I see the aforementioned clown officiating as I do when Tom 'Boom' Eades is officiating.

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

One area Jordy has improved in is passing. There were a few times he made up for his post moves not being there by hitting teammates for buckets. He basically had tunnel vision last year.

The one bucket he did make was on move where he had the space to execute his winding lefty hook. Gotta make those FTs though.

Agree with this.  I think we need to keep in mind Jordy doesn't have to score on this team.  He just doesn't.  He only took two shots and made one of them, but he is was extremely active, set good picks, accounted for 7 points from assists (the opposing bigs combined for 0 assists and 5 TOs) and kept pressure on the other bigs.  If he makes a couple free throws and gets the rebounds instead of getting fould, he has a 4-6pt, 8-10rb game.  But getting opposing bigs in foul trouble is a HUGE game changer--just ask Nebraska.  

2 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

-Jordy needs to work on his FT shooting(among other things).  His 38% from the line this year really pulls down the team percentage everyone else is 68% and above(besides the other 2 centers)  which is okay.

-Pick and Roll defense needs a lot of work yet...

-Hopefully our rebounding improves when Roby gets back.  Guys still need to improve on this though

Pick and roll defense was awful, for the most part. But when BC made their run, we also couldn't defend that play where the guy from the baseline curled off of a high wing screen. Our bigs did nothing to step out and alter the route of the cutter. With the on-ball screens, we seldom aggressively hedge and the dribbler is able to turn the corner and most often get deep into the lane. Either the dribbler gets to the basket or our big man can't recover to the screener and they get a layup. This drives me crazy. We did seem to play it a bit different the last five minutes of the game, with some success. 

Seems like teams play our screen and rolls just the opposite of how we play it. Watson, Taylor or whoever is the dribbler is most often facing an aggressive hedge and forcing our dribbler away from the basket. I'd be happy to get the perspective of some of the X's and O's guys on this, but this is how it looks to me. 

On a positive note, we are different this year in the sense that we have multiple guys who are threats to score the ball and can get their own shots. To be a real threat for postseason play, I believe you have to have at least 3 legit scoring threats. This was a fun game to watch and a pleasant departure from watching our major revenue sports teams get blasted on national tv. 

3 hours ago, NUtball said:

That call by the "Hey! Hey! We're the Monkees" haircut ref could have been huge.  I think it was 49-42 at the time and BC went down and scored (4 or 5 point swing) and that's when they made their run to cut it to 2 a couple of times.  NU might have run away with it if not for that call.  Good job by them to recover late and win somewhat comfortably.  It didn't hurt that BC stole the home team's M.O. by going into a late scoring drought with ice-cold shooting.

It probably should have been a  no call with the made basket.  Palmer got far enough to the side that the guy barely got hit because he was bailing/flopping.  What made it worse was the overly demonstrative sprinting to the scorer's table to call the charge.  Why can't these zebras learn that they should not be part of the show?

I cringe about as bad when I see the aforementioned clown officiating as I do when Tom 'Boom' Eades is officiating.

Which one?

5 hours ago, huskercwg said:

D-Wayne could be a cool addition -- However -- he basically is placed in a position to be an in-game running advertising man.

The KC Royals do a nice job with their promotions MC who wonders throughout the park.  I was expecting him to be more of a hype guy, but you are correct, he's basically just reads promos.

5 minutes ago, Marv said:

The KC Royals do a nice job with their promotions MC who wonders throughout the park.  I was expecting him to be more of a hype guy, but you are correct, he's basically just reads promos.

Virtually every pro team has someone who does this. It can be done well. Maybe how we use it will evolve into that. It's not there yet. It's the same promos they were doing without the emcee with a touch more flair.