uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 8 - B1G/ACC Challenge: Boston College

uneblinstu

DP2LQ8oV4AAbrNs.jpg:large

Needed it. Got it.

• Offense seems to be coming around. The first half was really sharp.
  • Defense is still a work in progress. It's better than it was at the beginning of the year, but there's still a long way to go.
  • We need Roby to get back soon. He makes such a big difference for this team. Coach talked about it on the post game show.
  • Copeland's finding his rhythm. His mid-range jumper is smooth.
  • Glynn is good at basketball.
  • The energy on defense is better. The execution isn't where it needs to be, but the energy and effort is much better and for longer stretches. Hopefully that will turn into better production on that end sooner rather than later.
  • They show glimpses of being disruptive defensively, especially on the perimiter and in passing lanes, but they just need to get more consistent. It's largely a mentality thing, I think.
  • Boston College is a bad jump shooting team. They're athletic and can do some things off the dribble, but at least tonight, they threw up some ugly shots from 3.
  • Good to see Thomas Allen back out there. I like what I see from him when he's out there. He's gonna be fun to watch grow over the course of the season.
  • Not sure we really need an in game emcee.
  • There was a while there in the middle of the second half where BC was winning a lot of the statistical categories, except for 3 point shooting. NU pulled away down the stretch, but there was a while there where there was some concern.
  • The free throw shooting makes want to bang my head against the wall.

Things get real beginning on Sunday. Let's see how much fight these guys have.

View full article

Edited by uneblinstu
Hunting buckets

I thought Jordy and Duby played great tonight and were both unsung heroes of the game.  

Though it won't show up in the stat sheet, I counted at least 4 fouls Jordy drew on opposing bigs by having great rebounding position.  He was dominant without scoring. Duby had a couple of great clutch blocks that were under control and fought well on the glass.  

Outstanding team win against a power 5 opponent.  

23 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I thought Jordy and Duby played great tonight and were both unsung heroes of the game.  

Though it won't show up in the stat sheet, I counted at least 4 fouls Jordy drew on opposing bigs by having great rebounding position.  He was dominant without scoring. Duby had a couple of great clutch blocks that were under control and fought well on the glass.  

Outstanding team win against a power 5 opponent.  

jordy missed a lot of easy rebounds that slipped right through his hands. otherwise he played pretty solid. duby played his role well tonight.

Edited by TimSmiles

I didn't catch this at the game but Jordan Chatman, one of their 4 guys who averages double figures, didn't play at all because of a shoulder injury. I wonder when that happened because not even the BC previews mentioned it.  Hawkins getting knocked out for most of the game helped as well. They played a couple of freshmen a lot of minutes tonight.

Postgame Notes

*-Nebraska improves to 4-3 all-time in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, including 4-2 under Tim Miles. The win snaps NU’s two-game losing streak in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

*-Nebraska is now 6-0 this year when putting three or more players in double figures

*-Evan Taylor finished with a season-high 13 points, betting his previous high of 12 on two occasions. Taylor has now been in double figures in four of NU’s eight contests after reaching double figures just six times last season.

*-Taylor hit his Nebraska personal best with three 3-pointers, topping his previous Husker best of two on three previous occasions. His collegiate career high is four when he was at Samford as a freshman, when he had four 3-pointers against Chattanooga on Feb. 14, 2015.

*-Taylor now has eight 3-pointer this season (hitting 8-of-10 from long range after hitting six 3-pointers in 31 games last year.

*-Glynn Watson Jr. has six assists and no turnovers and now has a 23-3 assist-to-turnover ratio over the last four games. Watson, who also had two steals, also has multiple steals in three of Nebraska’s last four contests.

*-Nebraska’s nine 3-pointers was its second-highest total of the season, trailing only the 11 against Marist.

*-James Palmer Jr. had a career-high five steals against BC, topping his previous best of two on five on two occasions, most recently against Central Florida. It marked the second straight game a Husker has had five-plus steals, as Watson had six steals against Long Beach State.

Nebraska Coach Tim Miles

On offensive play...

"We came out early. I thought we really played well. We shared the ball. The guys who had open shots, stepped up and made them, like Jack [McVeigh] and Evan [Taylor] are really important setting the tone. Glynn [Watson Jr.] wasn't feeling well tonight. He was light-headed all night. For him to go out there and get 10 points, six assists, no turnovers was exceptional. I thought the team played well with only nine turnovers."

On Boston College's defense...

"They were changing defenses. They were in some match-up and some straight zone. I like our zone attack. I like what we're doing because they're step-in threes. Our guys have worked hard to be a better shooting team and a better three-point defensive team. Those two things happenedtonight."

On maintaining the lead...

"They ran out of gas a little bit. They had [Deontae] Hawkins get hurt during the game and so I think that helped in terms of our efforts. They had some younger guys out there. We were up 11 and I put in kind of a different group. That experiment went awry and then they got it down to two, 59-57, we had eight straight stops. That was important to have that stretch when had our main guys back in."

On shooting and moving forward...

"When you go out there and shoot better from the three than you do the foul line, you have a problem. We have to make our foul shots. We practice so we should've been extending, but yes it's nice to have a lead and keep the lead and not see it shrivel up. We still have a lot of work to do. It's nice to beat a Power Five school. It's our first we beat this year. I think it's the only one we've played. We have about four more coming that will get our attention too."

Nebraska Players

On whether this was the team's first "full game"

Evan Taylor: "Yeah, we're getting better. This year, we've been putting halves together, but not a full game. Today, they made their runs, but we stayed strong. We never lost the lead, so it's just a sign of growth. Hopefully, we can build on that."

On whether the team was nervous when the game was tight

Isaac Copeland: "No, I think this year we do a good job of huddling together and really communicating, so we kind of got together and said, 'we've been here before this, let's not let this lead go,' and we pulled it through."

On the Huskers’ Upcoming Stretch with Four Ranked Teams

Evan Taylor: "Yeah, definitely, who wouldn't want to play against four of the best programs in the country. It's going to be hard, but it's an opportunity to show the world what Nebraska basketball is and to get better. I'm excited, and I know our guys are excited and we hope for the best."

Boston College Head Coach Jim Christian
On second-half shooting…
“We couldn’t make a shot. We were 4-for-22 from three, I probably would have signed up for every one of them. They were wide-open shots. We have got to make them. “

On personnel…
“We have guys out there who haven’t played all year. We have two guys, two starters out in the first three minutes of the game. So I’ve got Vin Baker, whose played maybe 19 minutes on the year playing 30 minutes, Ervins Meznieks who hasn’t played all year. They gave us heart, they gave us effort, but you have got to make open shots if you want to beat them on the road.”

On his team’s first-half performance…
“We played hard. It wasn’t effort. Our effort was great. It was just execution and putting the ball in the basket. Sometimes it’s that simple. They just hit open shots. We were running to get shots but they did a good job. [Jordy] Tshimanga is such a big body he takes away the front of the rim. We were making the right plays but we just couldn’t knock one in.”

On defensive play…
“Inconsistent the first half. I thought the second half we played great defensively. We played hard. I mean we played hard. We had three freshmen running around out there, playing different positions. We tried to ad-lib and teach them the plays as we go, it was a tough game for that, because you know we’re out [Deontae] Hawkins who plays 37 minutes per game, [Jordan] Chatman plays 33 minutes per game. If you take any team in the country and take out two 30-plus-minute players, it’s going to be tough. We fought hard, we needed to make a couple more plays. “

A very good win and one where we played very well in stretches but also struggled at times but played through it which I think is what makes this a better overall team than we have had recently.  We have lots of scoring options which should help us avoid those long droughts (although I know we have already had a couple this year) and I think we do compete well, particularly on the offensive end.  (As others mentioned - defense still needs work).

Another good game from both Taylor and Gill on the offensive end.  Taylor is our best on ball defender and is on the floor for that reason - but when we get offense from his as well that is a bonus.  I don't like the times he tries to create - but he is effective when he lets the game come to him on the offensive end.   Anton seems to have found his shot - hopefully that continues.  He also played harder on the defensive end (at times) tonight than he has in the past.  I think he is getting more comfortable with his role on the team. 

Jordy did some good things - but gee I wish he could hold on to the ball.   Horribly clumsy hands.  There have to be some hand coordination exercises we can have him do - or maybe just find a way to make his hands stronger ?   Duby contributed well also but has some of the same problem and give his size and athleticism he really struggles as a rebounder.  Partly that is due to his focus on blocking shots - which tends to sometimes come at the expense of being in good rebounding position.

Both Glynn and James really stepped up at times tonight and made big plays when we really needed them.  Isaac as well.

On the ugly side - saw some of the worst block/charge calls tonight that I have ever seen.  The block on Taylor was incomprehensible and the charge on Palmer was about as bad.  I really thought the latter one was going to cost us the game.  That was a real momentum changed and we went into our longest offensive drought of the night right after that happened. Fortunately we found a way to battle back and get the momentum again without them ever taking a lead.

Rough night for the refs.

Jordy is a big body but had some stone hands at times. “Squeeze!” Is what my coach would say.

ET is my favorite player, mature, glue guy, great defender, and if he’s knocking down threes, bonus.

Nice to see Mc-Trey hit a couple threes

Duby had some nice blocks. With a 7’5” wingspan and able to touch 12’+, could use him as a FG and Extra Point blocker on our  football team

Thought D-Wayne would grow on me, didn’t happen.

41 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

What happened to Jordy?  He made significant improvement last season during conference play.  This year he looks completely lost.  We have relatively no inside game without Roby.  For this team to be successful, we need Jordy and Duby to contribute.

He spent the offseason working on his 3 point shot. 

A few random thoughts after a somewhat late night at the Vault:

- Our offense in the first half was decent, but there was a lot of standing around and spacing issues.  Thankfully the three was falling.

- Our overall defensive effort, especially down the stretch was good, although there were certainly some breakdowns.  I will say, Jordy's effort on the defensive end was good.  He certainly had some defensive breakdowns, but he did a good job defending his man and helping on others.

- The referees had some horrible calls.  However, overall they were fine, but man, a couple of the player control calls were terrible.  I was somewhat shocked that our bench didn't get a technical after the call on James.  Phew, that was bad.

- Glynn had a good game despite being ill.  The kid is protecting the ball and doing a great job initiating the offense.  He breaks down on defense on occasion, but that seems to correlate to an aggressive attacking style...and I am okay with that.

- Looks like Thomas is rounding back into shape.  Good to see.

- James was somewhat MIA in the first half.  I am sure glad he showed up in the second half.  This is two games in a row (I believe) that he pretty much took the game over in the second half.

- Evan played a very, very good game.  He had one bad shot, otherwise offensively and defensively he was at a high level.  I am not positive, but it appeared that early in the game, BC was leaving him to help out defensively on others, and Evan made them pay.  In past years, teams could do that against us; hopefully this year, that will not be the case.

- We missed Isaiah...

- I believe Jack's role with the team was spotlighted last night.  Coach wants to see him four or five minutes each half and have him play aggressive from the get-go.  That happened last night.

- Isaac had a big night.  He is sort of a silent assassin.   He doesn't necessarily look like he is making a difference, but he passes, defends, scores and rebounds well.  Nice to see!  Necessary to see!

- Duby played well.  He defended and did a solid job with picks and so forth.  I love the way he defends, but he needs to secure rebounds.  At times it looked like he had paddles for hands.

- Jordy continues to struggle on offense, but his effort and defense was good.  We now need for him to take a gigantic leap as we move through these next four games.  Gigantic leap!!!

Our free throw shooting as a team was terrible.  We will lose close games if that part of our game does not improve exponentially.  Our rebounding continues to be a concern.  Once again, we lost the rebound battle against a pretty small line-up.  That said, BC was a pretty decent looking Power Five team.  We also did something (win) that the remainder of the Big Ten is struggling doing this season.  This was a game we should have won by five to ten points...and we did.  I put an overall grade of B- on this win.

Keep it going men!

Edited by huskercwg

Boston College has some nice pieces...they probably won't be making any type of postseason play but I would think they get more than 2 wins in the ACC this year.  Nice to see us start out hot shooting the ball.  But, to win any of the next 4 games we will likely need to piece together back to back solid offensive halves which this team has struggled to do against non mid major teams.  Love the way Anton's playing right now...after his injury his play is shocking.  Glynn was apparently sick last night...still had a good game but probably why he did not assert himself more. 

One area Jordy has improved in is passing. There were a few times he made up for his post moves not being there by hitting teammates for buckets. He basically had tunnel vision last year.

The one bucket he did make was on move where he had the space to execute his winding lefty hook. Gotta make those FTs though.

3pt luck

We run 2-3 zone and basically shut down BC. Watson however goes for the steal with 3 seconds on the shot clock and Robinson gets in front of him

DP4wJuDVoAAvvZe.jpg:large

Allen goes to help and Bowman starts sliding over into space. Palmer is in the lane as at this point BC is overloaded to their left.

Media preview

Palmer is able to close but with 1 second on the shot clock Bowman is able to get a decent look at a shot. Jordy is starting to turn to move to the basket.

Media preview

THE SHOT DOESN'T DROP! Bounces and Jordy has moved into a stationary Popovic to box him out.  The rebound carries that way and instead of a 1 point game Popovic has now picked up foul #4.

Media preview

8 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

On the ugly side - saw some of the worst block/charge calls tonight that I have ever seen.  The block on Taylor was incomprehensible and the charge on Palmer was about as bad.  I really thought the latter one was going to cost us the game.  That was a real momentum changed and we went into our longest offensive drought of the night right after that happened. Fortunately we found a way to battle back and get the momentum again without them ever taking a lead.

There was also the foul called on BC on the floor instead of Palmer getting the AND 1 basket.

We had a few bad possessions during that stretch but a lot of it was us running good offense and getting good looks that just didn't fall.  It wasn't the same sort of scoreless streak we've seen in the past.