Expectations for the next 5 games?

FredsSlacks

Just now, uneblinstu said:

Eh, not sure about that. Purdue is gonna be really tough to beat in their building. We're fortunate we get them over Christmas break.

For me, with the game being over Christmas break and having seen both us and Purdue against good competition, it is probably.  Ok, there was maybe one too many "very's" in there, but 5-0 is very probable.

36 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Yep...we were a whisper from having a really great stretch. Instead, it was merely acceptable. We don't need to go on a long winning streak, we just need to keep playing hard and getting better. The rest will take care of itself. We shouldn't need to run the table in February like we basically did in '14. Just keep playing hard. If nothing else, I hope they took that away from these past few games.

Not to be a smart alec, but are you opposed to a win streak?  Looking at our upcoming schedule, a significant win streak is certainly a possibility and perhaps should be probable. 

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

For me, with the game being over Christmas break and having seen both us and Purdue against good competition, it is probably.  Ok, there was maybe one too many "very's" in there, but 5-0 is very probable.

The next 3 have odds of 99, 96 and 87 percent according to TeamRankings. NW is 17 percent and Purdue 3 percent. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/nebraska-cornhuskers/projections

I think it's easy to look at some BIG teams struggling and assume we're going to beat them, but they're looking at us the same way.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The next 3 have odds of 99, 96 and 87 percent according to TeamRankings. NW is 17 percent and Purdue 3 percent. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/nebraska-cornhuskers/projections

I think it's easy to look at some BIG teams struggling and assume we're going to beat them, but they're looking at us the same way.

Yeah, Odds are that we go 3-2  I can understand that.  We haven't played all that well on the road and have lost most games to teams with a higher RPI and ranking.  However, odds were that we go 1-4 in the last 5.  We ended up 2-3.  I am going by the eye test when saying that 5-0 is probable.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Yeah, Odds are that we go 3-2  I can understand that.  We haven't played all that well on the road and have lost most games to teams with a higher RPI and ranking.  However, odds were that we go 1-4 in the last 5.  We ended up 2-3.  I am going by the eye test when saying that 5-0 is probable.

Eye test on who?   Have you watched Purdue?   The eye test on the bigs matchup alone doesn't get you within 5 miles of "probable".  

36 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

You have not watched Purdue then, they are a very solid team and it would be a big upset for us to win. We definitely could win but I would be thrilled with 4-1 and 3-2 is more likely than 5-0 IMO

19 minutes ago, HB said:

Eye test on who?   Have you watched Purdue?   The eye test on the bigs matchup alone doesn't get you within 5 miles of "probable".  

I have seen both Purdue and us play.  After watching both teams play a few games since about Thanksgiving, the game doesn't worry me as much as it did.  Sure, their bigs are good.  That doesn't mean it isn't possible or probable we don't win.  Look this is a team that has lost Western Kentucky.  That's about like our loss to UCF.  It isn't like we are talking about some world beaters here.

I think that we can matchup well to exploit some of their weaknesses.  Specifically with the 1-4's on the floor.  I would assume something like the line-up without Jordy and with Roby would be one that we will play quite a bit.  Purdue isn't as good as Kansas I don't feel.  They are playing decently as of late, but so are we.  Sure, their bigs are good.  We have good players too and I feel like we have some players that can exploit their weaknesses enough for us to win.  There isn't too many teams out there that I am like.... "OH MAN, WE HAVE NOT SHOT."  This year is different because I feel like we have enough firepower where instead of playing the "I don't think we can match up with them" card, I think we can make them match up to us.

16 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Gotta have the next 3. Can't lose focus.

Stealing one of those roadies would be huge.

Had someone in the program tell me yesterday that UTSA doesn't play a lick of defense. Should be a lot of points scored in that one.

They don't. However they hung in against Oklahoma and almost knocked off Tulsa at home.  They're basically trying to UNO you off the court but with better players.

We should match up with what they're doing but this is your Lee B. big book of upsets special if that wasn't Eastern Illinois

First off, we have to win the next 3 games.  HAVE too!

After that I would be tickled to get 1 of 2 on the road.  NW is actually starting to play like people thought they would.  Purdue is going to be VERY tough.  If either of the games were at home I would feel much better.

We need to focus on these next 3.  The crowds will not be overly into the games so the players need to bring their own energy.  We simply cannot have one of these "bad" losses we have had the past few years.

14 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I think you mean 5-0 is possible?  Considering the two big ten games are on the road it's more probable we go 3-2 as opposed to 5-0 IMO. 

2-3 was very good for our last stretch, regardless of missed opportunities.  We're #85 in Kenpom, which I would consider the non-con bubble at this point.  

I think we go 3-2 the next 5 because we haven't proven ourselves as a road team yet.  I'm sold on our home court performances though.  I think we win out at home.  

29 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

They don't. However they hung in against Oklahoma and almost knocked off Tulsa at home.  They're basically trying to UNO you off the court but with better players.

We should match up with what they're doing but this is your Lee B. big book of upsets special if that wasn't Eastern Illinois

I don't know how much you weight you can put on the Oklahoma game since UTSA's coach Steve Henson played for Kruger for 4 years and then worked for him as an assistant for 16.  (Kansas State went 8-2 vs Nebraska when he was playing, btw, I remember being at a few of those games and wondering how we couldn't stop that guy.)  They do have a kid originally from Hastings, who graduated from Norton KS who is their third leading scorer.

19 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Not to be a smart alec, but are you opposed to a win streak?  Looking at our upcoming schedule, a significant win streak is certainly a possibility and perhaps should be probable. 

Yes, I think we should avoid a winning streak so we won't have the pressure of ending it in the tournament. Lose a couple, just for posterity.

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Dimes: I was too lazy to scroll back on the thread and went to the top of the page to look at our upcoming schedule and found it to be the 2016-17 schedule. Could it be updated to 2017-18? Thanks.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I think you just found what I've been too lazy to do

If the bbs platform will allow you to add the 2017/18 schedule @ huskers.com as a link, rather than a static screen shot,  then each time one were to click on the schedule I think the page should come up with the scores of each game that has been played to date.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well... 4-1 in the next 5 next 5.  I like looking at this season in 5 game increments.

1.  First set of 5 (BC, @MSU, Minny, @CU, KU)

• Many were saying most likely 1-4.  0-5 would be really rough.  A few people thought we could catch someone sleeping and get to 2-3.
  • Actual Result-- 2-3.  Very well could have been 3-2 and 4-1 was on the table with a few minutes to go at CU. 
  • Performed better than expectations in this set of 5.

2.  Next set of 5 (Stetson, UTSA, Del St, @NW, @PUR)

• Many were saying that 3-2 was most likely.  4-1 was possible and 5-0 was not very likely.  2-3 was also possible if we dropped a sleeper in December.
  • Actual Result-- 4-1 and gosh darn it we just needed to get over that hump at PUR.  Got caught sleeping at home a few times, but woke up and finished the game.
  • Performed at or a little better than expectations in this set of 5.

3.  Third set of 5 (WIS, @PennSt, ILL, MICH, @tOSU)

• I am going to say that 3-2 is what we should do.  4-1 is possible as is 5-0 if we play well enough.  What say you?
  • Actual Result-- ??
  • Performed ??

Well, espn does not see much success ahead for the Huskers. And yes I do realize things will change. And not sure how often they update their win probability figures but they only have NU's % greater than 50% in 5 games. (Wisc-57.4%, Ill-65.7%, Iowa-58.3%, Rutgers-75.0% & Ind-67.1%) They seem to like Penn St. giving NU a 15.4% chance at Penn St. and only have NU at 45.3% when the 2 teams meet in Lincoln at end of season. Not saying Huskers will win 10 more games but I think NU will win closer to 10 than only 5.

On a side note, Rutgers got the bad deal on scheduling. The Scarlet Knights 5 teams they get to play twice are MSU, Purdue, tOSU, Maryland and Nebraska.   

4 minutes ago, rr52 said:

Well, espn does not see much success ahead for the Huskers. And yes I do realize things will change. And not sure how often they update their win probability figures but they only have NU's % greater than 50% in 5 games. (Wisc-57.4%, Ill-65.7%, Iowa-58.3%, Rutgers-75.0% & Ind-67.1%) They seem to like Penn St. giving NU a 15.4% chance at Penn St. and only have NU at 45.3% when the 2 teams meet in Lincoln at end of season. Not saying Huskers will win 10 more games but I think NU will win closer to 10 than only 5.

On a side note, Rutgers got the bad deal on scheduling. The Scarlet Knights 5 teams they get to play twice are MSU, Purdue, tOSU, Maryland and Nebraska.   

I think the game at NW was a 80%+ in favor of NW as well.  I think...

Scrolling through an old thread and found the below blurb from last March.  We need to continue to beat the teams that we don't expect to be with us on Selection Sunday.

"We were 3-12 by my count against teams in the tournament.  That means we were 9-7 against teams not in the tournament."

This was the team last year.  9-7 against teams not dancing.  We need to, and I believe will, improve on that record.

If I had to say right now, projecting where teams might finish up, we are 1-5 against teams dancing.  (I still have Minny in, though it is fading.)  10-1 against teams not dancing. (I have SJU and BC out right now.)

Edited by hskr4life