uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 7 - Advocare Invitational - Long Beach St.

uneblinstu

15 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

One of the big differences is this year we have had people be able to put the ball in the basket.

Erroneous. We're still not putting the ball into the basket at a significantly higher success rate than in any previous years.

It does help that we have more shot attempts in general because we're sped up, but I wouldn't exactly tie that to shooting ability.

image.png

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Erroneous. We're still not putting the ball into the basket at a significantly higher success rate than in any previous years.

It does help that we have more shot attempts in general because we're sped up, but I wouldn't exactly tie that to shooting ability.

image.png

My point was there have been games that we had players shoot the lights out. I'm not looking back but I assume there wasn't a lot of assists in the St. John's game because we didn't make a lot of baskets. Whoever has been passing the ball to Gill the last couple of games have been getting an assist.

19 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

My point was there have been games that we had players shoot the lights out. I'm not looking back but I assume there wasn't a lot of assists in the St. John's game because we didn't make a lot of baskets.

We had 9 on just 16 made baskets which is extraordinary when you look back at most games in the Miles era. We had 13 on 21 makes vs UCF. We put up 83 on Purdue last year with 13 assists on 28 makes. Correlation does not imply causation.

27 minutes ago, khoock said:

Just like the team, I have to see Anton play well versus decent competition (2-8 from 3 and 2-11 overall against St. Johns and UCF) before I buy in.

However, he has definetly been more impactful than I anticipated so far.

I mean... that is kind of misleading.  

St John’s— first game of season.  Was forced to shoot in 2nd half.  1-7 overall, 1-7 from 3.

UCF— 1-2 from 3, 1-4 overall.  I would say he didn’t get enough opportunity to shoot in this one.

So yes, while overall stats stink in our 2 losses, whose didn’t really except for maybe 1 guy?  Also, his first game was our teams first true road test.  I don’t think he played that bad against UCF.  Didn’t get enough opportunities in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I mean... that is kind of misleading.  

St John’s— first game of season.  Was forced to shoot in 2nd half.  1-7 overall, 1-7 from 3.

UCF— 1-2 from 3, 1-4 overall.  I would say he didn’t get enough opportunity to shoot in this one.

So yes, while overall stats stink in our 2 losses, whose didn’t really except for maybe 1 guy?  Also, his first game was our teams first true road test.  I don’t think he played that bad against UCF.  Didn’t get enough opportunities in my opinion.

Two games is a really small sample size. And i did not get to watch much of either game so i made my assessment solely off of the box score. 

Anton will be a helluva a feel good story if he can maintain this overall level of play throughout the season. 22 out of our next 25 games are against schools from the Big 6. So the boys will have plenty of time to prove themselves.