uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 7 - Advocare Invitational - Long Beach St.

uneblinstu

Just now, huskercwg said:

I have few issues getting Thomas more minutes, but I do worry about his defensive short comings.  My second issue would be where the minutes will come from?  He is playing the positions currently shared by Taylor, Watson and Gill.  If you have 80 minutes between the four of them, what is your split?  Right now, it sort of looks like this:

Glynn - 32 minutes

Evan - 30 minutes

Anton - 20 minutes

Thomas - oh wait, that is more that 80 minutes...

That is why you have to bring Palmers minutes into the equation.  You then drop Evan down to the wing.  It buys more minutes for the aforementioned group, but it takes away minutes from Isaac and Isaiah.  It also tells us why Jack is not getting playing time.

The rotation is shaking out right now.  The group is Glynn, Evan, Anton, Thomas, James, Isaiah, Isaac, Jordy and Duby.  Hard to break through that group of nine.  You have 200 minutes and certain players need the major minutes. 

I think this roster has alot of flexibilty, and line-ups we really have yet to see. What about a "smallish" line-up with Roby at the 5, Evan and Jim at the forwards, and Glynn and Thomas at the guards? Outside of Jordy and Duby up front, everyone else SHOULD be able to play multiple spots as necessity dictates. 

The more I look at things, this game is huge on Wednesday.  Absolutely huge!

Win Wednesday and lose the next 4 and we go into January 9-6.

However, I think we take one of the daunting 4.  So a win Wednesday and one of those 4 puts us at 10-5 heading in January.

That would be not a bad place to be.  Especially with our back end schedule.

And just because I know there will be some comments about us "losing that game we shouldn't"... I don't think that happens this year.

Edited by hskr4life

15 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Well, if we could only win 1 of those 4 I'll say Creighton for petty reasons, even though a KU win would carry more weight. The B1G openers are tough, BUT Minnesota almost got beat 3 on 5 the other night and were actually outscored down the stretch.

Personally, I'd take a Creighton win over a Kansas win. Whether we win or lose that game to Kansas, they forget about it the next week. A win or loss to Creighton and I don't hear the end of it for years. It's sad, but that game matters much more than it ever should.

Just a thought why not use Jack as a post defender late in the game?  We actually kind of stopped 0 when Evan started to guard him.  But I know our rotation was a mucked up why not try Jack on the post?  Couldn't have been any worse than pounding D we weren't using with anybody else on me or 4 or the other kid who had like 5 dunks today.

But hey we won and that is all that matters.

Worry about Wednesday and Robbie's ankle and Allen's butt.

25 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Just a thought why not use Jack as a post defender late in the game?  We actually kind of stopped 0 when Evan started to guard him.  But I know our rotation was a mucked up why not try Jack on the post?  Couldn't have been any worse than pounding D we weren't using with anybody else on me or 4 or the other kid who had like 5 dunks today.

But hey we won and that is all that matters.

Worry about Wednesday and Robbie's ankle and Allen's butt.

Hopefully allen wont be butt hurt.

Rewatched the first half and start of second half.  Stopped with James Palmers reverse dunk.  Why?  I saw all I need to see... us play well and look good.  Besides, I knew the outcome.  :D

A few extra notes after getting to watch.

1) Jordy shows flashes (up and under) and then looks terrible sometimes.  I think he is worth the PT though in the long run.  He will only get better.

2) Had to rewatch the Roby injury because I missed it.  Looked like a typical ankle roll in basketball.  I say that knowing well that they can be a biotch to get over though.  Hope he is ok.

3) I think it’s reasonable to project 10 PPG from Gill this year.  Honestly, he looks so much better already this year than at any point last year.  His 3’s are smooth and that spin move was crisp!

4) If we get that Glynn Watson every game, we’ll do more than some think.  He was disruptive and assertive.  So much confidence on the pull up 3 in first half.

5) Copeland keeps getting better and better.  I see him as a Walter Pitchford with more driving capeabilities.  Not a bad thing to have.

6) Did I mention that I like this team?  I don’t think we are as far away as people think.  Sure, we have had some close wins.  So has everyone.  I know we have had some bad halves... so do other teams.  Yes we have laid a few eggs.  So does every team at some point.  We weren’t going to go undefeated this year.  Teams lose... hell Purdue lost as many this weekend as we did the whole season.  Arizona lost more games this weekend than we have all season.  A win is a win and I’ll take it in a heart beat.

7) I see improvement.  Even with the UCF debacle.  We are getting the right guys to take shots.  Guys are gaining confidence.  We are figuring each other out.  I look at chemistry from game 1 to now and it is 10X better.  Assists, passing, D intensity, shot selection are all better.

8) Guys are finding their footing.  Keep in mind that Gill missed games 1 and 2.  Imagine if we have him in those games.  What does a few more 3’s mean against E Illinois.  Imagine if Gill plays game 3 against St John’s instead of game 1.  Copeland is coming around.  James is realizing he doesn’t HAVE to be the man because we have 4-5 men out there at a time.

9) Did I mention that it’s sometimes nice to not take the doom and gloom approach?  Does a heck of a lot on heart stress as well.  

10) Very important to get the game Wednesday.  Do that and win 1 out of our daunting 4, and we are looking at a 10-5 record heading into January.  Take 2-3 of the big 4 and we are sitting realllllly pretty at 11-4 or 12-3 heading into January.  Biggggggg game on Wednesday.  Let’s get it done.  1 game at a time!

18 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Miles said on his post-game chat that we were something like +25 with Jordy in the game today (I don’t remember the exact number).

Keeping him out of foul trouble seems important.

It was +25.  I have to think when the guys see him in the game they know they can launch up a 3 pointer and he has a chance to get it if they miss.

For all of his offensive ineptitude this year it really seems like we need him or Roby in the paint most of the time.

Havent really seen much talk about it but I think guys were really getting tired late in that 2nd half...  With Jordy, Duby & Roby not getting a lot of minutes plus we had a lot of fast breaks, we were lucky to hold on at the end.  The guys that played ended up playing a lot of minutes and 3 games in 4 days might of been taking a toll on them.  Glad that game ended when it did though. On to the next one!

39 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Havent really seen much talk about it but I think guys were really getting tired late in that 2nd half...  With Jordy, Duby & Roby not getting a lot of minutes plus we had a lot of fast breaks, we were lucky to hold on at the end.  The guys that played ended up playing a lot of minutes and 3 games in 4 days might of been taking a toll on them.  Glad that game ended when it did though. On to the next one!

Yep.  Yet another reason to play zone (with a center) a significant amount of time.  

Also, I think something that Jordy is not getting credit for is how he alters shots/gameplans of opponents.  You cannot teach size, and I think he's done a pretty good job of playing in position.  He just needs to go straight up and remember how big he is.  On the offensive end, do not underestimate what a 6'11" 270lb dude does to the energy of a 6'7" 230lb defender while being leaned on throughout the course of the game.  Even if Jordy doesn't impact the game by scoring and getting a bunch of rebounds, he creates a lot of problems on both ends of the court and wears down opposing bigs.  

One rebounding topic discussed after an earlier game had to do with our propensity to go after the block or to provide back-side help.  When we do this, we leave a rebounder free.  I believe that falls on our guards to come down and help.  We do this well at times, and at other times, we don't get the job done. 

28 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

This is our 3rd game with 20 or more assists. TBH I'm not sure we had 3 of those games combined in the Miles era coming into this season.

The LEWIS offense is starting to appear. It certainly should be prettier to watch; will it be more effective?

Getting out in transition seems to dramatically help that. When we stopped pushing, getting stops, and creating turnovers is when we saw the scoring droughts 

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

One rebounding topic discussed after an earlier game had to do with our propensity to go after the block or to provide back-side help.  When we do this, we leave a rebounder free.  I believe that falls on our guards to come down and help.  We do this well at times, and at other times, we don't get the job done. 

Here's a comment by a poster on another site that I thought was interesting:

Steals, turnovers are where they need to be. Blocked shots look great however,.....is it really necessary for three guys to contest so many shots? When three guys knock each other over to block a shot, that leaves the rebound easy for the other team--even if the shot is successfully blocked. These guys need to work together a bit better in that regard.

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

This is our 3rd game with 20 or more assists. TBH I'm not sure we had 3 of those games combined in the Miles era coming into this season.

The LEWIS offense is starting to appear. It certainly should be prettier to watch; will it be more effective?

One of the big differences is this year we have had people be able to put the ball in the basket.