uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 7 - Advocare Invitational - Long Beach St.

uneblinstu

1st Half:

That was as good of a start as I can remember NU getting off to in a very long time.

They started the game shooting 72%, you knew that wasn't gonna keep up.

Foul trouble to Jordy and Duby was problematic. At least one of Duby's was dubious.

Roby's injury is worrisome. If he's out for awhile, that makes the front court pretty thin. He appears to have a bit of a catalytic effect on the team as well. Roby being out for a while would be a big blow.

The biggest issue of the season for me is still how they're gonna manage when Glynn's off the court. He's not just the straw that stirs the drink, he's the drink a lot of times. too.

If Gill is finding his sea legs, that's a huge piece of the Nebrasketball puzzle this season. He and Copeland have really come on as of late.

The last two games, NU's played with a lot better energy. They have to play with that and more when the schedule ramps up over the next couple of weeks.

The fast start came on the heals of good to great defense. When that disappeared, the offense struggled, big time. A lot of that happened with Roby, Jordy and Duby unavailable and Watson on the bench.

2nd Half:

Out of the break, they found the energy again and found the offensive rhythm again.

Our big men have to figure out how to turn post feeds into layups or dunks when they get clear looks at the rim. They expose the ball to smaller defenders way too much.

I take that back, NU's front court play is the biggest cause for concern right now.

Timely bucket from Allen who I think sat and watched the first 35 minutes of the game before getting subbed in unless I missed it. I assume he's progressing from his fall last week?

We can't seem to do anything easy. The goal was two wins this weekend. They got it. Big game on Wednesday that's just as much of a must win as this was.

I may have more thoughts, but I gotta run for now.

1st Half:
That was as good of a start as I can remember NU getting off to in a very long time.
They started the game shooting 72%, you knew that wasn't gonna keep up.
Foul trouble to Jordy and Duby was problematic. At least one of Duby's was dubious.
Roby's injury is worrisome. If he's out for awhile, that makes the front court pretty thin. He appears to have a bit of a catalytic effect on the team as well. Roby being out for a while would be a big blow.
The biggest issue of the season for me is still how they're gonna manage when Glynn's off the court. He's not just the straw that stirs the drink, he's the drink a lot of times. too.
If Gill is finding his sea legs, that's a huge piece of the Nebrasketball puzzle this season. He and Copeland have really come on as of late.
The last two games, NU's played with a lot better energy. They have to play with that and more when the schedule ramps up over the next couple of weeks.
The fast start came on the heals of good to great defense. When that disappeared, the offense struggled, big time. A lot of that happened with Roby, Jordy and Duby unavailable and Watson on the bench.

2nd Half:
Out of the break, they found the energy again and found the offensive rhythm again.
Our big men have to figure out how to turn post feeds into layups or dunks when they get clear looks at the rim. They expose the ball to smaller defenders way too much.
I take that back, NU's front court play is the biggest cause for concern right now.
Timely bucket from Allen who I think sat and watched the first 35 minutes of the game before getting subbed in unless I missed it. I assume he's progressing from his fall last week?
We can't seem to do anything easy. The goal was two wins this weekend. They got it. Big game on Wednesday that's just as much of a must win as this was.

I may have more thoughts, but I gotta run for now.
Fortunately it looks as though he just rolled it and should be just fine.
No swelling

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

This was a game of streaks.  Thankfully, we prevailed.  Long Beach has a decent team.  They have a few talented players and works hard on both ends of the floor.  Our offensive display during the first fifteen minutes of the first half, and the first seven or eight minutes of the second half were things of beauty.  If we can maintain that level of offensive proficiency, life will be good.  Defense was hurt for multiple reasons, but the absence of either Isaiah, Jordy or Duby on the floor proves problematic:

- Glynn played a tremendous game.  He is fun to watch, especially when his shots are falling.  But his pesky defense played a significant role at the onset of the game. 

- Anton played well.  Not only offensively, but defensively as well.  It is nice having someone who can knock down his three's.

- James had a rather pedestrian game.  He made some glaring mistakes but then had some significant plays.  Need to find a bit of consistency.

- Thomas played some minutes and had a ballsie move in crunch time.  Good to see him coming around.  He is still a liability on the defensive end.

- Evan was Evan.  He played significant minutes, distributed the ball and played good defense.

- Jack was pretty much a no show.  Made one nice move to the basket, otherwise meh.

- Isaiah was playing well UNTIL his injury.  Hopefully it will heal quickly, but I doubt we see him against BC.

- I thought Isaac played well.  He was fairly quiet on offense, but played good on ball defense. 

- Tanner did some good things, but if he plays more than two to three minute spurts we will be in a bit of trouble.

- Duby most have had a hangover or something.  I haven't seen the stats but I believe he had four fouls in five minutes.  THAT CAN'T HAPPEN

- Jordy is starting to concern me.  He needs to get his poop in a group.  He is a necessary presence for us, proven by what happened against us in the paint today.  We need 6 to 10 points, 25 hard minutes, 5 to 8 rebounds and interior defense from him.  Those are must haves.

We need to improve interior defense and rebounding.  Nice win!  We needed to come back from this tournament at least 2-1 and did.  Now we need to continue to improve.  But man, we played a few spurts of basketball that was amazing.  Grade B-

Edited by huskercwg

18 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I hope that they don't bring him back until he is healthy.  The season is not a sprint, we need him throughout the season.  I know we are in the midst of a tough stretch, but Isaiah is an important player for us.  We need to be better safe than sorry.

• From an offensive side of things. I feel good that at least 3 players will get into double figures, it may not be the same 3 but, usually it's 3.
  • I also liked how at the start of both halves we got out an ran a little off of turnovers. Hopefully that can continue.
  • I really like having Anton come in off the bench and get some timely 3's. That was nice.
  • Once Isaiah went out and Duby and Jordy got into foul trouble I felt like our rotation got off track a bit and that lead to some bad matchups and them getting back into it.
  • I'm waiting for Jordy to start playing again like he did down the stretch, I have a feeling some of it is mental and him still not having a wealth of skills down low.
  • 2-1 out of this tournament is good. Nice to see some shots falling today.

5-2 is about where most thought we would be to this point. We've played good in stretches and awful in other stretches. I liked the first 15 minutes of this game. The defense was there and the aggression on offense both to shoot and attack the basket was great. Movement and passing, overall energy was good.

Now the tough stretch. Play only parts of a game well like today and anybody decent is going to throttle us. Continued growth, continued improvement, and a little learning on how to play a compete game. The parts are there.

Didn't get to watch this one.  Looking at box scores, score logs, and reading posts for this take.

• Losing Roby for a week or two hurts.  Losing Roby for longer hurts a lot more.  Be thankful that he might just be out a game.
  • Gill is going to be our glue scorer off the bench.  Shooting looks as though it is starting to come around for some of our guys.
  • Copeland, Gill, Allen are should only get better.  That is a good thing.
  • Palmer is going to give us 10+ PPG a night.  Same with Glynn.  Other guys will fill it up some nights and be quiet others.
  • Happy to go 2-1 in Orlando.  We needed that one.  
  • A win is a win.  2-1 is a lot better than 1-2.  5-2 is a lot better than 2-5.  If 5-2 means we are in for a long year, than I will take a long year every 7 games we play.
  • Sure we have 2 losses.  Both against so-so competition.  We haven't had a great team to play at home yet.  I expect the atmosphere to be a little better for BC, and then a lot better for Minny/KU.  I think how we fare in those three games will tell us a lot.  Protect the home court, that was one of the goals.
  • If you would have told me we would be 5-2 with a loss at St. Johns and 1 loss in Orlando, I would have taken that in a heart beat.  I don't care how we got there, a win is still a win.  You probably don't hear Minny complaining that they beat a team playing with 3 players.  To them, that will be a win later on and that is all that matters.
  • Now the fun begins.  1 win is a must in the next five.  2-3 would be great!  4-5 would be fantastic.

I have few issues getting Thomas more minutes, but I do worry about his defensive short comings.  My second issue would be where the minutes will come from?  He is playing the positions currently shared by Taylor, Watson and Gill.  If you have 80 minutes between the four of them, what is your split?  Right now, it sort of looks like this:

Glynn - 32 minutes

Evan - 30 minutes

Anton - 20 minutes

Thomas - oh wait, that is more that 80 minutes...

That is why you have to bring Palmers minutes into the equation.  You then drop Evan down to the wing.  It buys more minutes for the aforementioned group, but it takes away minutes from Isaac and Isaiah.  It also tells us why Jack is not getting playing time.

The rotation is shaking out right now.  The group is Glynn, Evan, Anton, Thomas, James, Isaiah, Isaac, Jordy and Duby.  Hard to break through that group of nine.  You have 200 minutes and certain players need the major minutes. 

I said to some friends after the 1st loss that the one positive is that we now have a chance to win 2 games.  We did that.  Today we looked awesome at times, and a bit "relaxed" at times.  My biggest worry is our "killer" instinct.  There are going to be plenty of games where shots aren't falling.  That is where as a defensive unit we need to be flying around like crazy and causing chaos for the opposing team.   I didn't see that in the 2H tonight.  LBSU got to the paint almost anytime they wanted too.  IF we can up our defensive intensity for longer stretches, I still think this team has the potential to do very well this year.

Wednesday is a BIG game for us for numerous reasons.  The obvious, you want to win.  But its a chance vs a Power 5 conference team, and after this game we have a nightmare stretch coming up.  If we don't come out ready on Wednesday, it could be a start of a tough stretch for us.  Really gotta get this one Wednesday.