uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 6 - Advocare Invitational - Marist

uneblinstu

I didn't get to watch any of this game. Sounds like it was fun and Gill had himself a night. I'm not gonna get too worked up until they do this vs. a high major team.

Sunday vs. Long Beach should give the Huskers a good chance to come home with 2 wins. Gotta wonder how helpful these events are if you're not gonna face good teams, could have easily scheduled two home games vs. teams like Marist and LBST. If you want to challenge yourself for that third game vs. a team like UCF, you could probably do that, too. Make it a road game if you want. Seems like if you're not in Maui, Battle 4 Atlantis, or you don't win your event, it's not really worth it.

In looking back, I thought this could be a tougher battle, but having seen the game play out, this is a game we should have won by 15 to 20, and we won by 25 and that was with clearing out our bench.  Nicely done.

I could go player by player, but each man in our normal rotation played pretty well.  Glynn still hasn't found his shot, but it should come.  We shot lights out, moved the ball fluidly, rebounded decently, defended well and played selflessly.  

We needed this win, if for no other reason, it partially rinses out my mind of that putrid football game. 

Nicely done men!

19 minutes ago, rwhiston said:

It's just been really great to see Gill playing and playing well these past few games. Watson's time will come but he doesn't have to do as much this year with all the other scorers. Still wanting Jordy to do more but I think that's wishful thinking

I agree wholeheartedly - it's great to see him just play some ball.  He's had a tough row to hoe and seems to be gaining confidence and making the best of his last year.

As for the team, they looked pretty good, but I'm not sure if Marist is good or bad.  They gave WVU a run, but having followed WVU a bit over the last few years since I know a bunch of people from WV, WVU tends to have a few games they sleepwalk through just like NU.  I'd lean toward Marist being on the bad side.  NU needs to find a way to play a good game against a team with a pulse.  If they could do that once or twice and actually find a way to win, I think that would do wonders for their confidence - get over the hump and prove to themselves that they can play competitively against the better competition.

4 minutes ago, NUtball said:

...I'm not sure if Marist is good or bad.  They gave WVU a run, but having followed WVU a bit over the last few years since I know a bunch of people from WV, WVU tends to have a few games they sleepwalk through just like NU.  I'd lean toward Marist being on the bad side.

Marist shot 55% (48% 3PT) against West Virginia. They shot 38% (38% 3PT) tonight. That can be a huge difference between winning and losing.

Was I the only one who thought Fran rambled interminably about the good old days riding the bus through snowy New England with a deli sandwich clutched in his hand? Even got to throw in a few passing references to Danny Nee and Pike along the way. Between this game and the football game, the announcers did have a lot of dead air space to fill in once the games got out of hand. I wonder if anyone who is not a Nebraskan managed to watch the entirety of both games? Or for that matter if anyone can admit to doing so under oath.

11 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Sunday vs. Long Beach should give the Huskers a good chance to come home with 2 wins. Gotta wonder how helpful these events are if you're not gonna face good teams, could have easily scheduled two home games vs. teams like Marist and LBST. If you want to challenge yourself for that third game vs. a team like UCF, you could probably do that, too. Make it a road game if you want. Seems like if you're not in Maui, Battle 4 Atlantis, or you don't win your event, it's not really worth it.

Marist will hurt the ol' SOS but I think the neutral game will soften the blow. Long Beach St tends to do alright in the wins department so it should be a net negative.

If this is a team with a tough schedule in need of some confidence games, it helps in that regard.

At the end of the day you are what you're records is, as Miles likes to say.  Right now our record is we haven't beaten anyone of note. 

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Marist shot 55% (48% 3PT) against West Virginia. They shot 38% (38% 3PT) tonight. That can be a huge difference between winning and losing.

They're a team that is deficient in so many other areas that they have to shoot lights out to compete. This game is what happens when they don't.