Creighton - Nebraska

Tinpanalley

well, that sucks-----------get one back, and lose one during warmups. <_< wondered if this stretch of games might have some consequence against creighton. for as much as the offense struggled, it appeared the huskers hung pretty tough for the most part---for a good chunk, kept it within striking distance. i was hoping they could knock down a few in a row to get that momentum, but, just couldn't do it. hopefully, maddie will be ready come the holiday tournament---and, now that nicea has made a return, hopefully janay won't be far behind. maybe getting away from PBA for the holiday will help them relax a little and go out and have a lot of fun playing some ball. pick up a couple of "W's".

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Same old story. We shot 32%.....just won't win at that pace. Where was our back door shots,  give and goes, etc etc ?  Our mixing of lines ups didn't seem to jell. 

Their defense was the story. And their shooting 27 threes...made enough (40%) of them to keep us in check.

Nebraska is Creighton's "super bowl" in about any sport, so you've got to be prepared to play.  Like said, we looked flat from the start.....no fire. One of those ugly games. Move on, learn a lesson, what ever it may be, and get ready for a lot more games.

It sure was great to see Nicea back. She seemed fresh after sitting for a while. Her presence was felt immediately. But we need Maddie too. Hope it's only a temporary thing.  

On to the next one. Get some rest and recover. 

Listening on the radio, sounded like there were a few questionable calls, that went against Nebraska.  Announcers mentioned the official by name, Mark Resch, and I got the impression, this was nothing new for this ref.  Do we have a history with this guy?

Edited by 12dozen

Listening on the radio, sounded like there were a few questionable calls, that went against Nebraska.  Announcers mentioned the official by name, Mark Resch, and I got the impression, this was nothing new for this ref.  Do we have a history with this guy?

I know he got his ass chewed by Williams a lot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I listened to the first half.  I kind of thought after watching Creighton play USD that Agnew might be a nightmare for us.  And she was.  And they always seem to shoot well when they play us.  I wonder why we were in such a shooting funk.  Any thoughts?

It sounded like Grace did some really good things for us, and Nicea was tremendous when she came in.  Hopefully Maddie is OK and is ready for our next game.

Having the freak injury happen to Maddie during warmups put us in a bind in defending Creighton's smaller but agile forwards.  They pass and shot the three well and Kate, Rachel and Darrien just weren't fast enough to get out front on Agnew who hit 6 of nine three's.

On the positive side it was great to see Nicea out there doing her thing.  Welcome back!

HUD, are you saying Kate, Darrien, and Rachel were guarding their big 3 point shooter.  I didn't think that was the case but if it was it makes no sense.  They are not perimeter defenders.  If a team is playing all 5 out, we should either go small with Grace/Maddie or play an an extended 2-3 zone where the bigs can stay in the middle, stop drives, and rebound? In 2nd half Kate scored two straight baskets and got lifted for Rachel, she then scored 2 straight and got lifted for Darrien....if someone is hot we should be feeding (and playing) them till they cool off. What are we doing?  Not our finest hour substitution wise or strategically.

I got this out of my system and will go back to being positive.

18 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

HUD, are you saying Kate, Darrien, and Rachel were guarding their big 3 point shooter.  I didn't think that was the case but if it was it makes no sense.  They are not perimeter defenders.  If a team is playing all 5 out, we should either go small with Grace/Maddie or play an an extended 2-3 zone where the bigs can stay in the middle, stop drives, and rebound? In 2nd half Kate scored two straight baskets and got lifted for Rachel, she then scored 2 straight and got lifted for Darrien....if someone is hot we should be feeding (and playing) them till they cool off. What are we doing?  Not our finest hour substitution wise or strategically.

I know that Cincore was guarding Faber a lot last night as well. But I didnt watch that matchup a lot.

19 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

i know at one point Kate was removed for not boxing out. I don't know if that was the case here but it could have been.

Guys we r 3-1.  Played well at times so far and not well at times. Thats what young teams do.  Hopefully nobody thought we were going to go undefeated this year.  We will win some more and lose some more. I promise.  Enjoy the journey.  Don't start melting down 4 gms into the season about minutes, rotations, shots etc. that will be counter productive. Save that for football.  This is going the right direction but it will be a gradual steady process.  

Edited by kansashusker

Just now, kansashusker said:

Guys we r 3-1.  Played well at times so far and not well at times. That what young teams do.  Hopefully nobody thought we were going to go undefeated this year.  We will win some more and lose some more. I promise.  Enjoy the journey.  Don't start melting down 4 gms into the season about minutes, rotations, shots etc. that will be counter productive. Save that for football.  This is going the right direction but it will be a gradual steady process.  

when watching the game last night from row A Kate got pushed banged hacked and everything else that refs didn't call. and I was thinking that this is a freshmen getting her feet wet into big time basketball and that maybe she will better when the BIG 10 rolls around. the same goes for Kissinger.

I may not have this exactly right, but Creightons coach said after the game......they went with a small lineup purposely to have their 5 pull out to  the three line, knowing our bigs couldn't defend quickly enough (& not used to doing it) and they would get open shots. So it was planned...we didn't adjust apparently.

And yes, Creighton wasn't bashful about physical basketball, a couple of them more so than others. And they did get away with it several times. 

Edited by redsteve

12 minutes ago, redsteve said:

I may not have this exactly right, but Creightons coach said after the game......they went with a small lineup purposely to have their 5 pull out to  the three line, knowing our bigs couldn't defend quickly enough (& not used to doing it) and they would get open shots. So it was planned...we didn't adjust apparently.

And yes, Creighton wasn't bashful about physical basketball, a couple of them more so than others. And they did get away with it several times. 

This should never happen again....either go to a 2-3 zone or pull the big and put another perimeter defender in........done.  I guess the thing is if a team goes small we should be able to take advantage with our size on the offensive end but that didn't happen either.   

I don't feel down about the game at all.  These type of games will pay dividends down the road.  We still held them to 64 points even after they hit at least 2 3's right after getting offensive rebounds.  As the game unfolded it seems to me that they had a better game plan then we did.  And the Maddie situation happening right before tipoff caused us to have to modify our subbing with out any preparation time.  Like Jas having to play some power forward.  We missed too many free throws and it's rare that Agnew goes 6 out of 9 from three very often.  We didn't quit but there will be nights when matchups are good for us and some when they aren't.  Haber from Creighton had a great night passing the ball with 9 assists many of them resulted in 3's.

I didn't see anything that couldn't be corrected in practice.

Just now, huskerfrank said:

We did these same type of puzzling substitutions last year.

14 hours ago, huskerfrank said:

This should never happen again....either go to a 2-3 zone or pull the big and put another perimeter defender in........done.  I guess the thing is if a team goes small we should be able to take advantage with our size on the offensive end but that didn't happen either.   

Don't think that was the only problem Sunday. We just seemed to have "lost" our offensive game.  Their defense had something to do with it,  and they defended Taylor (and everyone else real close)  Their coach had a good scheme ready for the game.

I kind of see it as our very young team, that was tired, and couldn't/didn't recognize what was happening. ...and adjust on the go.  We did go to a zone but it just didn't work to our benefit. 

They were on fire shooting the 3...we didn't defend against it real well when man on...or zone defense.

It is/will be view as a lesson learned. Others may try it too since we didn't handle it to well. So move on to the next one. Hope we get everyone healthy, rested, and fired up. for the next couple.

We did these same type of puzzling substitutions last year.

I agree this type of substitution is very puzzling. I am also puzzled by the frequency of the substitutions. Halfway through the first quarter the entire team has already been on the court. How do players get their rhythm when they are going in and out all of the time? Just asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk