Is it time to start Roby?

Handy Johnson

16 minutes ago, atskooc said:

I'm keeping a running tally in my signature of his three-point performance for the year (and may do it for his career). 

I don't suspect I will have to change it very often.

He is not going to take any. If you noticed he took a 15 footer and immediately Duby was on the way to the scorer's table. Both he and Duby sealed early and never got the ball.  Our perimeter players look at them until they are covered and then pass the ball somewhere else.That becomes frustrating and you begin to work less hard at sealing as the game goes on. I watched the one open practice this year and some in previous years and they do work on post moves and when they get the ball in a proper position they (try) execute them. The staff really likes the drop step middle with the jump hook/flip over the rim and you can see that a lot in the two of them. OK not a lot because they don't get the ball a lot. They also like the Sikma move where you face the basket on a reverse pivot and then do a rip move to get all the way to the other side of the basket. I saw Jordy do this in a previous game but he missed the layup. The coaching staff might be good or bad but they are not inept. I've seen Roby work on post moves but he is not willing to try to use them in a game. Up until now, our best  post player has been Copeland. He has been very successful in a limited sample size  with a middle drop step turnaround jump shot. I would, at this time prefer he get off the three point line and get in the lane where he can actually make some baskets. I think he could be very effective there. So if we were running a high low, I would have him low and Roby high. 

It was only one game and everybody overreacts to everything in society today but boy was that one painful game to watch. 

Edited by Dean Smith

3 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

He is not going to take any. If you noticed he took a 15 footer and immediately Duby was on the way to the scorer's table. Both he and Duby sealed early and never got the ball.  Our perimeter players look at them until they are covered and then pass the ball somewhere else.That becomes frustrating and you begin to work less hard at sealing as the game goes on. I watched the one open practice this year and some in previous years and they do work on post moves and when they get the ball in a proper position they (try) execute them. The staff really likes the drop step middle with the jump hook/flip over the rim and you can see that a lot in the two of them. OK not a lot because they don't get the ball a lot. They also like the Sikma move where face the basket on a reverse pivot and then do a rip move to get all the way to the other side of the basket. I saw Jordy do this in a previous game but he missed the layup. The coaching staff might be good or bad but they are not inept. I've seen Roby work on post moves but he is not willing to try to use them in a game. Up until now, our best  post player has been Copeland. He has been very successful in a limited sample size  with a middle drop step turnaround jump shot. I would, at this time prefer he get off the three point line and get in the lane where he can actually make some baskets. I think he could be very effective there. So if we were running a high low, I would have him low and Roby high. 

It was only one game and everybody overreacts to everything in society today but boy was that one painful game to watch. 

Thank you.  To say a coach is "Bad, inept, can't teach" after a bad game is overreaction.  It is hard to score in the post if you don't get the ball in the post.  Granted, through the first 3 games Jordy hasn't shown he deserves the ball in the post a lot.  But like you said I think Copeland, Roby, etc could be effective there.  I also think, to some extent, Dube could be ok there.  We saw some nice moves early there.  We just don't get the ball into the post enough.

Im gonna chalk up Jordys awful play to the missed practice time. I think the staff can develop bigs. Morrow, Jacobson, and Hammond were all improved from year 1 to 2. Unfortunately none of them stuck around after that.

With that being said, Jordy doesnt deserve to start rn. Nor do any other of our bigs. Start Roby.

1 hour ago, Crush78 said:

When I was in high school, our coach made our 4 run 10 ladders for every missed 3 when he wouldn't stop shooting them. I think Copeland should be subject to the same rule. He has a decent post & midrange game, but his 3 point shooting is terrible. None of his 4 last night were even close.

How much is the missed 3 from both Copeland and Gill due to injury?  Gill's shot was short and would that indicate leg strength?  And Copeland's flat shot, could that be due to his back issue?

I don't know just asking, because I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for a couple of months.-_-

Edited by Silverbacked1

1 hour ago, Crush78 said:

When I was in high school, our coach made our 4 run 10 ladders for every missed 3 when he wouldn't stop shooting them. I think Copeland should be subject to the same rule. He has a decent post & midrange game, but his 3 point shooting is terrible. None of his 4 last night were even close.

During Copeland's first 51 games in college, he was 45-125 from 3 (36.0%).  In the 25 games since he is 10-72 (13.9%).  In those last 25 games, in the 20 games where he did not hit a 3 pointer he went 0-49 and averaged 6.2 points per game, while shooting 49% on 2 pointers.  In the 5 games he actually made one, he went 10-23 from 3, for 43.5%, and shot 61% from 2 with an average of 19.6 ppg.  So in the past, if he's not hitting any threes, his offense overall is not nearly as productive.

roby should be starting but also needs to be aggressive. he has the skills to be the best player on the floor but doesn't act like it when he is in the game. he had a wide open jump shot at the free throw line where he hesitated for about 3 seconds before shooting it and making it. are the coaches telling him not to shoot?

i give jordy somewhat of a pass for now, but if he's not 100% he should not be playing.

Edited by TimSmiles

12 hours ago, Crush78 said:

If you want him to stop shooting , sit him. He can’t shoot front the bench and if he wants to play he will do what you ask him to. I always had 4’s that I wanted shooting the three out of the secondary break so that was never a problem for me. 

8 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

If you want him to stop shooting , sit him. He can’t shoot front the bench and if he wants to play he will do what you ask him to. I always had 4’s that I wanted shooting the three out of the secondary break so that was never a problem for me. 

BTW Dean, I have to compliment you on that Magic photo. Fantastic. Lots of folks remember when he scored 42 as a rookie, game 6 at the Spectrum. But, most don't recall one Jamaal Wilkes had 37 the same game. Go Lakers, and GBR! 

3 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

BTW Dean, I have to compliment you on that Magic photo. Fantastic. Lots of folks remember when he scored 42 as a rookie, game 6 at the Spectrum. But, most don't recall one Jamaal Wilkes had 37 the same game. Go Lakers, and GBR! 

Thanks. I completely messed up my jump shot my sophomore year trying to imitate Smooth as Silk Jamaal Wilkes. 

Edited by Dean Smith

14 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Agreed. He's shown he can make the shot and our offense works much better if he's a threat to do so. Hopefully for our sake he ends up hitting them like his freshman year instead of his sophomore year.

Just what I think but, I think many of us wanted Copeland to be a big scorer instead of him actually being a big scorer.

Doesn't mean he won't get hot some nights and put up some big numbers.  He seems to me to be more of an all around player.  Gets rebounds, plays okay defence, has nice mid-range game.  But isn't the give me the ball and I will score every time type of guy.

He might also be holding back a bit until he feels good about the health of his back. 

And when watching him he seems to be a guy who might be on the quiet side who sits back and watches and waits to see what needs to be done and then maybe try to fill that role.

It is a long season and the start is crusial but if it is a tad bumpy we have time to right the ship.

I remember somewhere somebody once said about Major League Baseball...  You can't win the pennat in April, but you can lose it.  

So we do need to get things going in the right direction, and tighten everything up some.

Got go my ride is yelling that we are going to be late.:D

It's a no-brainer. His rebounding and shot blocking at the very least make him worth the start. We need leaders like him on the court to set the standard and tempo, especially defensively (which is where we need to start each game. Offense comes from good movement and skill, but begins on the defensive end). I think miles was onto something that one year we made the tourney, which not so coincidentally was the year we were clicking on D. 

Might be a bit of a wacky looking lanky dude, but he's needed in the starting 5!

After watching the game today, I’m not sure I’d start Roby if that means it’s Copeland and Roby playing the majority of minutes at the 4 and 5. Recipe for disaster in the Big 10 with other team’s girth. But it’s a lethal niche lineup from time to time. 

Id actually just start the way we are except Dube for Jordy. 

8 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Just what I think but, I think many of us wanted Copeland to be a big scorer instead of him actually being a big scorer.

Doesn't mean he won't get hot some nights and put up some big numbers.  He seems to me to be more of an all around player.  Gets rebounds, plays okay defence, has nice mid-range game.  But isn't the give me the ball and I will score every time type of guy.

He might also be holding back a bit until he feels good about the health of his back. 

And when watching him he seems to be a guy who might be on the quiet side who sits back and watches and waits to see what needs to be done and then maybe try to fill that role.

It is a long season and the start is crusial but if it is a tad bumpy we have time to right the ship.

I remember somewhere somebody once said about Major League Baseball...  You can't win the pennat in April, but you can lose it.  

So we do need to get things going in the right direction, and tighten everything up some.

Got go my ride is yelling that we are going to be late.:D

Nice call Silverback!