Is it time to start Roby?

Handy Johnson

This notion was raised in the post-game chatter and I agree. Whether Jordy has regressed or still hurt, he has become a liability on the court. He still brings the ball down when it's kicked inside or worse yet tries to put it on the floor. Yes it's nice to have the "spark" that Roby brings when coming off the bench, but he's too versatile and too talented to not be more of a factor. Will this cure all of our ills. No, but it's a start. And as someone else also mentioned, we're only going to go as far as Glynn Watson takes us.

I think very highly of Roby. I've said that he has NBA potential etc etc etc... Watching him against st. John's though, tells me that he is not ready for the big stage yet. He is too hesitant at getting rebounds, taking shots and being the guy.  If he would play with more intensity he would be absolutely amazing, but he just doesn't do it. If I was Tim Miles I would be getting after him to put out more effort!  He plays like he's afraid to foul if that makes any sense?

Edited by big red22

Yes.

Start him.  Play small and play fast.   Honestly...Jordy isn't in my top 10 right now until he starts playing well.  He's regressed significantly from last year.  I'd have Duby in front of him and he's not very good.  

Get Allen and Gill more time and even mix in Akenten, the more he plays now, they quicker he grows.   Play smaller and run and space the floor.

Yes.

Jordy is not even remotely ready or where he needs to be. 

I've avoided talking about him because you all are so excited about his potential and I get chirped at pretty hard any time I discuss him not being very good (or not ready). But he is a liability out there right now. Hopefully, as we get into B1G play, he will have a more useful role. 

Edited by basketballjones

Regardless of who starts or who is battling injury, the coaching will not change. For the past three seasons, we've been a team that seemingly runs no offense. We all thought things would be different this year; but the only thing that's different is the names on the back of the jerseys. I have a feeling we're in for another long season...

16 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

How much of Jordy's struggles stem from him having knee surgery early on?  He has zero blocks thus far in about 40 minutes.

@hhcdimes I appreciate your restraint in avoiding being critical of a young player, but let me ask a question in return.  Can we blame knee surgery for Jordy bringing the ball down to his waist on the blocks, or even worse, taking 3 or 4 dribbles ON THE BLOCKS before starting his post move?

I think this is the problem we are seeing with him early in the season.  Now, in his defense these are the kinds of things he learned to avoid doing towards the end of last season so perhaps he'll get it worked out again.  But he seems to have regressed in the offseason.

1 minute ago, 49r said:

@hhcdimes I appreciate your restraint in avoiding being critical of a young player, but let me ask a question in return.  Can we blame knee surgery for Jordy bringing the ball down to his waist on the blocks, or even worse, taking 3 or 4 dribbles ON THE BLOCKS before starting his post move?

I think this is the problem we are seeing with him early in the season.  Now, in his defense these are the kinds of things he learned to avoid doing towards the end of last season so perhaps he'll get it worked out again.  But he seems to have regressed in the offseason.

Exactly. It's very clear he's a liability right now. And if his knee is bothering him, why is he starting, or even playing? We have other options (i.e. see the name of this thread).

I'm curious as to what the team is doing in practice. Jordy doesn't have much of a (if any) post move. But he got a concussion last year during a loose ball drill? Why is he doing that drill? In a game, I would much rather turn the ball over than get our center concussed. Why wasn't Jordy working on post moves with Molinari during that time? How many of our players are handled/utilized absolutely baffles me.

And maybe if Jordy was working on his offensive game more, he'd turn the ball over less, thus making his involvement in a loose ball drill even less important.

Little things like this just irritate me. And there's a LOT of them with this coaching staff.

Edited by dustystehl

I almost started a thread before the St. John's game that Roby should be starting instead of Jody and now it's very obvious.  Jody needs to find some time on the pine and work hard to try to earn his minutes back.

Other thing I thought was sad in that Gill played more minutes that Roby did last night.  One thing for sure is that Gill is not gun shy about shooting.  Probably is he doesn't make very many of them.

24 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

We are; We're not running a successful offense though I think you can put the onus on the staff more than the ability of our players.

I'm absolutely putting that on the coaching staff - that's why I prefaced that sentence with "the coaching will not change". Plain and simple, Tim Miles isn't a very good basketball coach. Doesn't matter who his players are. If you think this team will "figure it out" or "turn it around" you're just kidding yourself. There is no evidence to support that thought. It's just hope. And I'm tired of getting my hopes up.

I agree we should start Roby but am trying to wrap my head around Jordy and our other post players.

I know Jordy sort of "came on" last year but when you look at the numbers it was a guy who wasn't skilled at scoring; we simply force fed him the ball to the point that he'd generate 6-10 points a game.  We aren't feeding him the ball in the post. We aren't feeding anyone in the post. Yeah Jordy executed a terrible post move at the elbow.:Why was he at the elbow receiving the ball in the first place?  I saw Dube Okeke execute a post move in practice. I don't recall seeing him receive a pass into the post (could be mis-remembering) in any of his limited minutes.

I'd be all for us using our centers like Northwestern where they just camp out on the other side of the driving lane waiting for garbage while protecting the rim on defense.

Yeah I don't know how any one can comment on Jordy's post moves when I don't recall him receiving the ball on the low block a single time.  He can absolutely seal people down there and we have completely gone away from that.  Literally the only place he belongs on the offensive end is near the basket where he can be disruptive.  I blame this way more on coaching than Jordy.  

4 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

I'm absolutely putting that on the coaching staff - that's why I prefaced that sentence with "the coaching will not change". Plain and simple, Tim Miles isn't a very good basketball coach. Doesn't matter who his players are. If you think this team will "figure it out" or "turn it around" you're just kidding yourself. There is no evidence to support that thought. It's just hope. And I'm tired of getting my hopes up.

To me it's a bit more nuanced. I'd argue that Miles is a good coach when it comes to game prep and his willingness to adjust when we are in a rut. I'd agree that he's a not very good basketball coach when it comes to things like in-game adjustments and processing some of that stuff on the fly; our philosophy of not running set inbounds plays to stave off predictability ends with our inbounder also not able to predict where his teammates will be. 

It's a mixed bag. At some point we may need to do better (Don't see how Miles can last through another big loss season) but the possibility of Miles stumbling into the right formula is at least better than the previous issue of having to coach up limited talent. 

I honestly have no clue what the coaching staff is doing.  Do we even teach our players how to post up?  Do they know how to seal off the defender for either a post entry or clear out the backside for a pass over the top.

Every player at this level should be able to post up.  I notice that St. John's had their guards post up Glynn effectively last night.

I don't think it matters at this point.  We have no offense that is recognizable.  Jordy should be fighting for position on the block and no where else.  The reason he tried to dribble as because he got the ball 17 feet from the basket.  Use the big body and post someone up on the block!!

5 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Yeah I don't know how any one can comment on Jordy's post moves when I don't recall him receiving the ball on the low block a single time.  He can absolutely seal people down there and we have completely gone away from that.  Literally the only place he belongs on the offensive end is near the basket where he can be disruptive.  I blame this way more on coaching than Jordy.  

Maybe not last night...you are right, the times he did receive the ball he wasn't in the paint.  But, the first two games he was lucky to draw iron.  I would agree on getting him into position, but like usual the paint and driving lanes continued to be clogged up because of our inability to shoot the ball.  I know this is rinse and repeat every year...but until we can make teams pay for sagging off we will have trouble on that end against good teams. 

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

I'm curious as to what the team is doing in practice. Jordy doesn't have much of a (if any) post move. But he got a concussion last year during a loose ball drill? Why is he doing that drill? In a game, I would much rather turn the ball over than get our center concussed. Why wasn't Jordy working on post moves with Molinari during that time? How many of our players are handled/utilized absolutely baffles me.

And maybe if Jordy was working on his offensive game more, he'd turn the ball over less, thus making his involvement in a loose ball drill even less important.

Little things like this just irritate me. And there's a LOT of them with this coaching staff.

Jordy did say in the offseason he was working on shooting 3s. 

16 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Maybe not last night...you are right, the times he did receive the ball he wasn't in the paint.  But, the first two games he was lucky to draw iron.  I would agree on getting him into position, but like usual the paint and driving lanes continued to be clogged up because of our inability to shoot the ball.  I know this is rinse and repeat every year...but until we can make teams pay for sagging off we will have trouble on that end against good teams. 

Without a doubt!  Our post play, our driving game, our points in the paint, that all becomes much, much harder when we aren't keeping them honest from the perimeter, as it did last night.  There were times when our guards would drive and draw three defenders.  The usual result?  A kickout to an open three which missed, or a blocked shot. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

At some point we may need to do better (Don't see how Miles can last through another big loss season) but the possibility of Miles stumbling into the right formula is at least better than the previous issue of having to coach up limited talent. 

I'll agree that this year's team has more talent than previous teams, but I don't think the upgraded talent is good enough to mask coaching deficiencies. So many players are in spots/positions that don't best serve their skill set - especially Jordy, Copeland, and McVeigh.

At the end of the day, we need people who can put the ball in the basket. We are as athletic as we've ever been, but that doesn't mean we have good shooters. Maybe our players just aren't as good as we were made to believe at the beginning of the season. With the exception of Copeland, our transfers (Taylor, Palmer, Gill, Okeke) didn't play much at their previous schools. What makes us think that they would be studs here? Palmer barely cracked the rotation at Miami, yet he's supposed to be our leading scorer? This is the Big Ten. This isn't Colorado State.

I'm disappointed with last night's game and so many of my thoughts/feelings are currently influenced by that, but I've had these same thoughts/feelings for the past three seasons. And I've seen nothing change. I put most of that on the coaches, but maybe our players aren't that good, either.

But I'm a die hard. I love our guys. I'll cheer for them. I want to see them (and the coaches) succeed. I'm just trying to be honest and realistic so it hurts less when we go 14-17.

Edited by dustystehl

5 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Clearly, that was time well spent!

I'm keeping a running tally in my signature of his three-point performance for the year (and may do it for his career). 

I don't suspect I will have to change it very often.

Edited by atskooc