Arkansas - Nebraska

Tinpanalley

Like the fact that the team pulled out a win with Whitish not being a factor.  The 1-3-1 zone limited Arkansas’ ability to penetrate and Coach Miles could learn some offense from Coach Williams.  Loved the grittiness, fight and camaraderie the team showed.   

I was very wrong, Taylor Kissinger is a factor and seems to be a heady player.  Getting Nicea and Morton back has to help the team get better.  Rotating the three posts will help keep Cain fresh in the late stages.  

Wiliams can coach, do we have the athletes to compete at the highest level?  

1 hour ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Dang that was freaking fun to watch!!! I don't even know what to say. I think we would of lost by 15 last year!!! I think whether we win or lose a game its still going to be fun to watch them go up and down!!!! Wooohooo. Am excited for the years to come...

Sign up for BTN Plus if you are not in Lincoln and want to see more Husker Ladies BB games!  :)

Edited by Red Don

listening to matt and jeff, it sounded like nicea might be available very soon. someone may be able to correct me, or expand, but thought jeff stated this was the first time nicea was at least out walking around during warmups? if i heard matt correctly on his statement about janay, she might just wake up one morning and say, "i'm ready to go". so, sounds like both are getting pretty close. good to see woody out there scrapping away. might be tough for her to get minutes once nicea and janay are ready. 9 players getting double digit minutes. 

What a fun game. Feels good to have a hoops team to be proud of again.

* edit * Listening to Matt/Jeff, you could tell how much fun they were having calling this game. Highlight of the broadcast was them laughing their backsides off when RB came in and played some good physical defense in the paint. Something about RB 'welcoming everyone into the paint'. Was driving and laughing along. I really, really enjoy those guys' radio call. I really think they're the best in the land. There's bound to be laughs every single broadcast, but it's so much better when they're loving what they're seeing. This game was definitely one of those. (I'm terribly sorry that this edit seems to have messed up the chain)

Edited by hoop_head

listening to matt and jeff, it sounded like nicea might be available very soon. someone may be able to correct me, or expand, but thought jeff stated this was the first time nicea was at least out walking around during warmups? if i heard matt correctly on his statement about janay, she might just wake up one morning and say, "i'm ready to go". so, sounds like both are getting pretty close. good to see woody out there scrapping away. might be tough for her to get minutes once nicea and janay are ready. 9 players getting double digit minutes. 
Nicea has been out with the team during warmups. She has been working out some during practice and Janay has been getting treatment and is behind Nicea as far as playing soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would like to know who the coaches the bigs, because there is a he improvement at that position. RB with a baby hook and Grace who can now play with her back to the basket and can now drive te ball as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I believe that’s coach Love. I love the swim move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seemed like night and day compared to the games I saw last year.  Team chemistry is tremendously improved and the girls look like they are enjoying themselves and the game and have some confidence.  They pick each other up.  That's not to say we won't see some growing pains, but I have no doubt the team will work through them and learn and come out even stronger.  Jasmine was a beast last night, that's the player I've been wanting to see.  I was very impressed with our freshman.  It helps so much to have a solid bench.  Some of the girls looked a bit tired at the end - but if we didn't have that bench, we may have lost the game due to fatigue.  They were all working their butts off which is something you can do every single minute on the court when you know you will be subbed and get some rest (rather than faced with playing 30+ minutes).  So fun to watch.  Cain has amazingly long arms - love the idea of her and Taylor for 4 years!

Even from my living room (BTN), you could see Nicea contributing from the bench.  Looking forward to her taking the floor. These kids seem to like each other and are having fun.  Might be wishful thinking, but I'm seeing another Cady/Hooper type combo in Cain/Kissinger.  Their games might be a little different, but they already have a similar chemistry. Early yet, but sure looks like we are on the path to better things.

On the other bench, Arkansas has some nice players.  Hope we don't run into many more like Monk.  That girl can move.  Didn't see anyone dressed in white last night, that could keep up with her.  We just might have beat a tourney team last night.   GBR

Edited by 12dozen

Hmmmm  -  Seems like the Husker Ladies' Bigs can match up well vs smaller line-ups!   ;)

Taylor Kissinger delivers down the stretch in NU's victory over Arkansas

Neighbors had clearly wanted to protect his smallish front line, which couldn’t match up against 6-foot-5 freshman center Kate Cain. Once Arkansas switched to man defense — and hedged hard on screens — Nebraska immediately attacked the interior with entry passes to the post and curl cuts to the hoop from wings.

Edited by Red Don

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Not a huge WBB follower but i did like the Amy Williams hire last year. I think she will do a good job here. As good as Yori? Who knows. But she will have the ladies in the post season regularly.

There is no doubt that Khoock, The improvement from year one to year two is unbeliveable.

One of the many things I like about coach Williams is that she knows exactly what she wants in recruiting.  They need to fit her criteria.  She talked Jas into staying last year and look how she has developed.   One thing now that would help is more fans showing up for games and over time I think they will.