uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 3 - @ St. John's

uneblinstu

To me the new players have played like Thanksgiving leftovers. Palmer, Copeland, and Gill have been Webster, Jacobson, and Morrow rewarmed. Unless we want a reheated season too, they ae going to have to assert themselves and add some flavor to this year's team. ( Sometimes I actually prefer the leftovers, so all is not yet lost).

32 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Our roster under Tim Miles

Oh I agree, it does seem to be the same each year.

But there is nothing I can do, so I choose to cheer the guys on and wait to see what the end brings.

Maybe that makes me a shitty fan, but I have too much in my life to worry about than if we are going to suck again and if Tim needs to go.  I only pay like $700 for my 6 tickets so I know my opinion doesn't count much in the grand choice of what goes on at the U.  Doesn''t mean I was happy with how we played last night. Thought we didn't play with any heart or toughness, which I feel can not be taught, so yeah it might be a long crappy season.  It is just that I am not going to let it bother me too much.  Just me,  okay carry on.:)

Re-watched the game this morning.  A few notes.

It was even more depressing the second go around.  I am telling you... don’t do it!

I counted 3-4 times that St. John’s players probably should have been given a T in the second half alone after Palmers T.  They played with intensity yes... but it was crap some of the stuff they were doing/saying/getting away with.

The referees were not fine.  They were the opposite of that.  After the Palmer T, our guys couldn’t say anything, theirs said everything.  Two calls stand out as well... the Gill drive that they called a charge (was a block) and the St John’s guard who stepped back INTO Glynn and they called a foul on Glynn!

The referees did not lose us that game.

We have to learn how to play on the road.  A lot of the calls that were getting us 30+ FTs the first game... were not getting called this game.  Have to find other ways to score.  Can’t fault us for trying to drove though as St John’s was geting some of those calls.

St John’s looks like a team that is going to be a head case at times.  You could tell early 2nd half when we made some shots and we’re getting a few calls, they got really frustrated.

There came a point... I can’t remember when... middle of the second half that we 100% gave up.  That pissed me off the most with the team during the game.

We have good players.  Some really good players.  We are not a good TEAM right now.  A lot of ‘me’ players last night that we’re trying to do too much.

Might be time to show Jordy the bench for a little bit.  Man is he rough around the edges.  That’s saying t nicely too.  I want to see Home with fire.  He reminds me of Big Mike early in the Blindside when he looks at the balloons.

The wrong people were shooting early.  Killed us.

Guys taking too many shots: Copeland, Gill

Guys not taking enough shots: Roby, Glynn, Palmer early, Allen

I wouldn’t mind a lineup of Glynn, Allen, Palmer, Jack, Roby to run, gun, and shoot the dang ball.

The pieces will start to come together.... I think.  Deer in the headlights last night.  We have the chance to be very good this year.  We need to figure some things out and get some things going.  The pieces to the puzzle are there.  Once we get the edges figured out, the middle will come together.  However, we need to get the edges figured out sooner rather than later.

15 hours ago, hskr4life said:

• The refs (Didn't lose us the game).  You cannot let one team talk and the other team not.  Just can't happen.  St. John's had fun, partly because they could and we could not, and partly because they were kicking the living snot out of us.

This. After the technical, I counted at least 4 times that St John's taunted as much or more than Palmer...

Did that tech lose us the game, no....but I would have liked to see the how the team would have played if they could have kept that intensity up they had in the moments right before the technical.....it killed the the moment.

Good teams overcome that....young teams have to learn  how to do that......

3 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Really? Why's that?

For all the sports I have played or coached over the years I think I kid is either born with the I will get every ball or make every tackle or follow me to FREEDOM type of personality that we didn't really show last night.

When St.John's kept talking and playing the way they did last night nobody stepped up to try to stop any of it.  James tried but he got T'd up.

Nobody put a hard foul on a guy driving to the basket to say no more.  I know we always go back to Nees teams but what would a couple of those teams done to a guy or guys who were doing what they were doing to us last night.

Just what I think.  I can tell a kid to do something but it is up to them to do it or take it upon themselves to do it.

1 minute ago, Blindcheck said:

This. After the technical, I counted at least 4 times that St John's taunted as much or more than Palmer...

Did that tech lose us the game, no....but I would have liked to see the how the team would have played if they could have kept that intensity up they had in the moments right before the technical.....it killed the the moment.

By my post above... your counts seem correct!

2 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

For all the sports I have played or coached over the years I think I kid is either born with the I will get every ball or make every tackle or follow me to FREEDOM type of personality that we didn't really show last night.

When St.John's kept talking and playing the way they did last night nobody stepped up to try to stop any of it.  James tried but he got T'd up.

Nobody put a hard foul on a guy driving to the basket to say no more.  I know we always go back to Nees teams but what would a couple of those teams done to a guy or guys who were doing what they were doing to us last night.

Just what I think.  I can tell a kid to do something but it is up to them to do it or take it upon themselves to do it.

I also felt like our guys kind of backed off after James T and then St John’s got away with whatever they wanted and we lost all intensity.  We were also down 20, so that doesn’t help.

5 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I'd prefer to see them come out of the locker room with that intensity. They showed some of it at the start of the 2nd half as well, but need to figure out how to sustain it. I think they've got it in them.

5 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I heard an interview with Aaron Taylor on the radio a couple of weeks ago. He said he came into NU with a more laid back attitude and style of play. The other players on the team told him that ain't gonna cut it and he figured out how elevate his intensity and effort and he became one of those "follow me to freedom" type of guys by the time he got his chance. I think it can be learned. I don't think that's an easy thing to do and I'm not sure we have the personalities on the team to call it out of guy. It probably has to come from someone other than the coaches. Maybe a game like last night shakes the malaise, sometimes that happens, but what we saw last night isn't gonna win against teams that bring that sort of energy for large chunks of the game.

4 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

When I say young teams, it isn't just about Age of players....it is more about time playing together...

You can be a young team with 4 juniors and a senior....if they have never played together.

I was referencing my post about 20 minutes ago that said "I rewatched the game this morning and I counted 3-4 times St John's should have been T'd up after Palmer."

24 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

St John’s guard who stepped back INTO Glynn and they called a foul on Glynn!

It was a good call. This was a heady play by their PG that will almost always be called a foul. Once LoVett got past Glynn he shouldn't have been trying to climb his back like that.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It was a good call. This was a heady play by their PG that will almost always be called a foul. Once LoVett got past Glynn he shouldn't have been trying to climb his back like that.

I guess... crappy that's a foul call... but if it's a foul, you gotta call it.

Wish more fouls that happened were called yesterday.

19 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I'd prefer to see them come out of the locker room with that intensity. They showed some of it at the start of the 2nd half as well, but need to figure out how to sustain it. I think they've got it in them.

I heard an interview with Aaron Taylor on the radio a couple of weeks ago. He said he came into NU with a more laid back attitude and style of play. The other players on the team told him that ain't gonna cut it and he figured out how elevate his intensity and effort and he became one of those "follow me to freedom" type of guys by the time he got his chance. I think it can be learned. I don't think that's an easy thing to do and I'm not sure we have the personalities on the team to call it out of guy. It probably has to come from someone other than the coaches. Maybe a game like last night shakes the malaise, sometimes that happens, but what we saw last night isn't gonna win against teams that bring that sort of energy for large chunks of the game.

I do agree that some just don't know that it is in them until they need to use.  An example I have this year with my youth team was we had a running back that just knocked the crap out of people who tried to tackle him.  By the end of the year when it was his turn in Oklahoma drill we had only 3 out 25 that would go against him.  Now these where young kids but we had some actually say nope and go to the end of the line when he was up.

He also just rolled a DB the last game of the year on a touchdown run.  The kid came to hit him and our kid just put the big hit on him and then took it to the house.  We ran the same play again later and the same DB ran away from this kid as he came around the end.  Scored twice on that play before they moved somebody out there that at least took him on.

I do think that the right kind of leader can make you follow and maybe to some things you did not know where in you, but I still think it is ingrained in us at an early age.  The fight-or-Fight kicks in.

19 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

The one that killed Glynn was his fourth where both got told to stop and he runs down and bumps the kid and he sells it so very well.  Knew that was coming the second that we got the ball.  If Glynn had fallen backward and broke his ankle that was going to be on him that trip down the court.  They were very good at the bait and trap you game.  Our heads got filled with I don't know what but we just kind of turtled up and said lets get out of here.

13 hours ago, Daledangdarn said:

Norm, you’re like a labrador.  Dumb as shit but always sees the good in things.  Please never change.

You go too low when you attack labs. I'm guessing some of them are smarter than you. Or at least smarter than me because they turned their heads away from the game before the end.

But yeah, Norm, never change!

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

When I say young teams, it isn't just about Age of players....it is more about time playing together...

You can be a young team with 4 juniors and a senior....if they have never played together.

Disagree.  Your maturity level and overcoming getting rattled is due to the amount of years and games you have played.  It has nothing to do with how long the team has played together.  The T's the Palmer and Watson got had nothing to do with not playing together.