uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 3 - @ St. John's

uneblinstu

Just now, brfrad said:

The FS1 crew didn't do their job for 15 minutes last night.  Let's interview the SJU's AD, and forget about the game.  I wish I would have recorded the game because Taylor hits a 3 to make it 19 - 16.  The announcer says something like "Ah, Nebraska has cut it to 3."

I was a bit distracted by family stuff so I had no idea that Watson was out with foul trouble. When a team's best player comes out with 2 fouls, that seems noteworthy.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I was a bit distracted by family stuff so I had no idea that Watson was out with foul trouble. When a team's best player comes out with 2 fouls, that seems noteworthy.

I agree.  I can tune people out pretty well (probably why I'm still single).  So, I knew he had 2 fouls.  Gus Johnson wanna-be is terrible.  I finally turned on tune-in in the 2nd half to sync up with the game.  I could take that.

That game looked like one of the games I used to coach with my NAIA JV's against Cloud Community College with D1 transfers on the roster. 

We got ran, dunked, and blocked out of that gym. Coaches, players, and everyone involved should be embarrassed with that performance and take some serious looks in the mirror. You don't bounce back quickly from that. That's a game that shows you "just don't have it."

Don't care if it's early or just one game. We played like scared middle schoolers. Got bumped off of every spot. Can't run any offense with pressure. Let a couple blocked shots shake us. Played with no composure - get an and 1 lay-up as the game is still in contest and get T'ed up. Unacceptable. 

"I wasn't that upset with the Palmer T because it really didn't matter and at least it showed some spark."  Dimes

I sad that same thing when it happened, at least he was shwing some fire.

Guess he should of jumped up and down and spun in a circle, or took the ball and ran down the court, or yell real loud at the sky , or throw the ball down to the other end of the court.  Because those things weren't called after the players where told to stop all the crap.  But like some said here we got punched in the think the throat and really didn't recover. 

EIU kept punching us in the face and we reacted.  The throat was too much.

Oh well regroup and beat North Dakota so this doesn't get out of hand.

Really poor shooting team from what I saw. They came out and didnt match St. John's intensity and got run out of the gym. Same thing has happened vs. Creighton for the last few years. Miles just can seem to push the right buttons with these teams and is lost. its early in the season but with the history of his teams in Lincoln I doubt things change much.

39 minutes ago, brfrad said:

The FS1 crew didn't do their job for 15 minutes last night.  Let's interview the SJU's AD, and forget about the game.  I wish I would have recorded the game because Taylor hits a 3 to make it 19 - 16.  The announcer says something like "Ah, Nebraska has cut it to 3."

I get the frustration with the Athletic Director interview, I really do.  It totally detracted from watching the actual game for a much longer time than was probably necessary, but...

Anybody that thinks this Gavitt Games event is ANYTHING other than a pure hype/PR machine for the Big East Conference and it's member schools is really kidding themselves.  

This whole thing was created as a means to hype up a brand new conference of schools that stole it's name from the conference that most of its schools left.  It's named after the man who started the Big East in the first place.  This was intended to be used as a way for the 7 Catholic schools that left the Big East to form it's own new conference to tell the world "See folks?  This is the Big East you all remembered and loved, never mind that so many of the best founding members are not here..."

I had misgivings about the Big Ten being involved in this deal from the start and nothing has been done to change my mind since.  The schedules are made - it appears - just imbalanced enough to give the Big East schools the slightest advantage.  One could even put his tinfoil hat on and say that even the refs are in on it, too but I'm not going to do that.  It's kind of sickening in the same way the SEC gets so much media hype and praise in football.  You can't "prove" it isn't the better conference, but you just kind of get that feeling that it really isn't all that it's hyped up to be.

Of course all this sounds like sour grapes from a fan of a school that lost its game, I get that too, and let me be clear when I say the Nebraska team that played last night has no business being involved in these games, it sucks to have the path to even mediocre success laid out before your eyes and to see just how long and winding that path is still.

But to be surprised at all that FS1 spent so much time talking with the St John's AD is probably just a tad naive.  In my opinion.

...and I will say again here this is exactly why I really dislike coach Miles' scheduling philosophy, and why I was so pessimistic leading into the season.  With such a young team I just feel like they need to be eased into their roles with more confidence building games.  Sure, one crushing non-con loss can be overcome...but we may be looking at 4 or 5 of these, God forbid it's more, just in the non-conference portion of the schedule alone.  We very well may have 7 losses by Christmas time, and with a pretty stacked Big Ten schedule coming along in the new year, things could get bleak...

This thread is depressing. My thoughts after enduring that game in person.

-those two guards for SJ are both pricks. Talked non-stop THE ENTIRE GAME. 

-game was awful

-Watson out early with foul trouble in the first half, Palmer not really involved early so our guards reduced to just Gill and Allen for much of the first half. That didn't help

-Gym was tiny and annoying. Noisy. Not too loud overall but just like you were in a small bathroom with someone beating on pots and pans.

-students started a Fire Miles chant so that's good

for everyone on here who is feeling duped by believing we'd be better and feeling like this could be last year all over again, I ask what happened to the team that beat Miss St and Iowa State and 'looked the part' of an improved team?

Its just one game. It's a game we looked awful in but yet just one game. Will be extremely interesting to see what happens if we somehow get them on a neutral court next week. Have a feeling that those guys who talked crap the entire game last night won't come out on top again. Guys, we only made 16 shots from the field last night. That can't happen agaibagain

1. I think the announcers went a full 8 minutes in the first half without mentioning one Nebraska player by name. (started to piss me off)

2. How can you be a 4-5 star player and not be able to shoot the basketball? A basic skill for a basketball player. (began to get more pissed off)

3. I sat there and was dumbfounded by the turnovers, lack of intensity, lack of on ball defense, lack of cohesiveness on offense, the running of the mouth, the cockiness of St Johns, lack of rebounding and the shooting performance by NU. (really, really, really pissed off)

4. Went to bed and slept if off.

5. Woke up, pissed off.

Edited by Navin R. Johnson

13 minutes ago, 49r said:

...and I will say again here this is exactly why I really dislike coach Miles' scheduling philosophy, and why I was so pessimistic leading into the season.  With such a young team I just feel like they need to be eased into their roles with more confidence building games.  Sure, one crushing non-con loss can be overcome...but we may be looking at 4 or 5 of these, God forbid it's more, just in the non-conference portion of the schedule alone.  We very well may have 7 losses by Christmas time, and with a pretty stacked Big Ten schedule coming along in the new year, things could get bleak...

We start 3 juniors and a senior. We're not young.

Edited by uneblinstu

Just now, uneblinstu said:

Yep.

Our top 10 includes:

2-5th yr Seniors

1-4th yr Senior

2-4th yr Juniors

2-3rd yr Juniors

2- 2nd yr Sophs

1- Tr Frosh

7 of the 10 in their 3rd year or older.   If that is a young roster, there's no such thing as an old one.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

Okay...3 of those four are transfers.  Only Evan of those three have played with the team more than about a dozen games. One hasn't even been on campus a year yet.

I meant to write that we were young and/or new to the team but it didn't flow as well.  Sue me, you knew what I meant...

Just now, 49r said:

Okay...3 of those four are transfers.  Only Evan of those three have played with the team more than about a dozen games. One hasn't even been on campus a year yet.

I meant to write that we were young and/or new to the team but it didn't flow as well.  Sue me, you knew what I meant...

I didn't actually, so thanks for clarifying. We've got a bunch of guys who have been around long enough that you can't give the effort they gave yesterday and expect to be competitive. Maybe that's the most disappointing part.

4 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I didn't actually, so thanks for clarifying. We've got a bunch of guys who have been around long enough that you can't give the effort they gave yesterday and expect to be competitive. Maybe that's the most disappointing part.

Take a look at the "age" of Northwestern's roster and coach Collins' non conference schedule and tell me that they still don't feel the need to ease their guys into the season.  If we aren't young then the Wildcats are Methuselah in comparison, yet they aren't getting tested anywhere near the level we are.

Now, I'm not necessarily arguing that what Northwestern is doing is appropriate for their team this year, but it is more like what I would want our schedule to look like this year.

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

Now, I'm not necessarily arguing that what Northwestern is doing is appropriate for their team this year, but it is more like what I would want our schedule to look like this year.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

While a lot of these guys haven't played together...this is how we've been modeling our team the last few years.   Every year....'it's a young team'   Eventually we just need to get it to work

I agree with both of these things.

Edited by uneblinstu
Trying to get too cute

For me atleast, a lot of the hype for this team has worn off. So far we have learned (from early season games/preseason exhibitions) that Miss St and Iowa St arent very good. From there we have: struggled with a D3 team for over half a game, struggled against a lower level D1 team, beat a lower level d1 team thanks to 45+ FTA, and got out played out classed out hustled OUT REBOUNDED by what is more than likely a middle of the pack Big East team.

Im not surprised that we lost bc i had this marked as one when we predicted non con and total wins. Just very disappointed with how we lost.

Hopefully they are just getting their worst bball out of the way rn and soon they'll be clicking on all cylinders.

Edited by khoock