That didn’t take long ...

chuck.bentjen

It’s early in the season and we haven’t face the likes of U Conn yet, but I really like this team very much. Everybody has improved. Bria is everything I expected her to be. Hannah is not only skilled but heady as well. Taylor and Kate have to be among the best freshman combos in the B1G.

This team seems disciplined and they play like a team! I can’t wait to see what Nivea and Janay add to the mix.

So bravo coach Williams - bravo.

Finally, I wish Jessica Shepherd well, but I think the team chemistry is much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addition by subtraction is real   Cudos to the staff for having the guts to embrace it last spring   A lot of staffs wouldn't have   The program is now very healthy and in the begin phase is a steady upward climb. 1)  Lots of talent in the underclassman, 2) good recruits coming in, and 3) leadership teaching the young talent how to go to workevery single day by the upperclass     All 3 elements r critical.  Program >team> individual = healthy program.  Enjoy the upward journey   Won't be straight up without natural hiccups but definitely headed up 

Edited by kansashusker

What u r referencing Huskerfrank r player and team growth issues that will occur over time.  It's not a chemistry issue. The kids like each other, respect the program and each other,  want to be here for the right reasons and are learning how to work and play.   That's  how the foundation is laid.  Then it will build from there.  

It clearly isn't Coach Amy's scheme to live or die with three shooting. She has said so, and her past teams indicate that too. But it is a part of the plan, and we have several that can shoot from long distance.  In today's basketball, men and women, 3's are raining down. 

In the last game several players were driving to the basket....it obviously has been emphasized in practice.  Coaches overall team scheme isn't fully in place yet, not enough time or games yet.  But it is clearly on going.....she has said so in press conferences/articles.

Hanah and Bria  have been making assists with regularity.  While it's early in the season, I'd guess they're leading the team in assists, and that's one of the primary goals of a point guard in Coaches scheme. (most teams obviously)  As a team we're making far more assists than our opponents thus far.......may have been one of their weaknesses.

Team chemistry.....the players clearly enjoy playing together. Particularly compared to the last couple of years.  The ego thing is in check, they're sharing the ball.  The fast beak in the last game with Bria and Maddie was classic basketball.  It seems to me anyway, one of the big reasons the team is turning around is the improvement in chemistry...players/players  and players/coaches.

Edited by redsteve

What is clearer now then coach Williams first year here is what type of team and recruits she wants.  We have shown improvement in many areas but will not know for awhile how far up the ladder of success we can climb until we get our injured players back and fully incorporated into the lineup.  That includes how well Rachel's knee's hold up.  We are in the stage of getting more experience for everyone and hopefully will not have any new injuries. 

Something that I have noticed so far this year is that many of the players are taking the opportunities that are there and not trying to force things.  Most teams improve throughout the season but since we are so young our upside going forward may be higher then a veteran team on how much we can improve.

21 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I like what I am reading about this team but caution that when top teams are encountered NU will struggle.  But, it’s a new beginning and looking forward to see the Husker in person.

Sure, we have a long way to go.......the point is we're heading in  the right direction.  And it may take another recruiting class or two to get into the competitive position we need to be in the B1G, and have a chance to be a top 25 team.

We'll see of course. The travel to that point(s) is the thing to watch now.  The next game with Arkansas should show a lot of where we've developed to so far. They're well coached and a fast team we'll need to defend.

Edited by redsteve

Thanks for responses! Arkansas defeated Stanford. I have no idea how good Stamford is though.

Hannah is averaging 9 assists per game and Bria is averaging 4 per game - 4-5 is considered good. Overall, we’re averaging 19.5 assists per game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly me - they played Samford not Stanford