3 point shooting

uneblinstu

I don't think it's fair to judge Nana on his 3 point percentage so far this year. I think he still can be the knock down shooter we all hope, but maybe not this year. The minutes are generally after he has been sitting on the bench for the first 38 minutes of the game, he is coming in cold, and isn't playing with guys who are going to be setting him up for open looks. Also it looks like he is forcing his shots, because he wants to give himself a real chance in the 60 seconds at a time he has.

A little bit of the same can be said for Jack as well,'. Jack at least gets a few more "real" minutes than Nana, but it's still hard to come in cold when everyone else is already in the flow of the game.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

3 point defense is also up quite a bit from last year. Currently sitting at 109.

I'm sure the Boston College game has a lot to do with that.  But our defense wasn't any better...they missed a dumpload of open threes. KU won't miss those.

4th straight game above 40% and 5 of 6. That's starting to become a trend. If they'd shot at that four game pace for the whole season, they'd be a top 5 3 point shooting %. If they'd shot at that 6 game pace for the whole season, they'd be a top 25 team from behind the arc. But because four of the first five games they only hit at 30%, they're sitting just outside the top 100. If they hit at their 4 game pace (9/20) they could jump into the top 60.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

4th straight game above 40% and 5 of 6. That's starting to become a trend. If they'd shot at that four game pace for the whole season, they'd be a top 5 3 point shooting %. If they'd shot at that 6 game pace for the whole season, they'd be a top 25 team from behind the arc. But because four of the first five games they only hit at 30%, they're sitting just outside the top 100. If they hit at their 4 game pace (9/20) they could jump into the top 60.

Raises a couple of questions for me.

If we're making these shots because of taking good looks, how much can we increase our 3pt attempts by also taking some so-so looks?

Can we sell out a bit more with guards on the defensive rebounding end at the expense of losing some of our easier transition baskets?

I think it will get better as the year goes on. Either Jordy will start making some shots in the paint which will eventually lead to some inside out or we will play ‘small’ with five shooters on the floor and open up more space for drive draw and kick.  We have a lot of guys that can shoot it and as they get more comfortable hopefully the looks will get better and the bad shot selection will lessen. I like how we shoot it when we are active on offense and moving away from the ball. 

• 3 weeks later...

NU was under 40% vs. Kansas, going 8/22 (36.4%). But in the two games after that, NU went 15/31 (48.4%) and 13/27 (48.1%) from 3 vs. UTSA and Delaware St. That's pushed them up to 37.9% on the season and currently sitting at 77th in NCAA and 4th in the Big Ten.

• We've attempted 301 on the season, that's sixth in the conference and have made 114, which is tied with Maryland for 4th in the conference. Maryland has attempted 12 fewer, so their sitting just in front of us in terms of percentage made.
  • Purdue leads the conference in 3% percentage.
  • Michigan has made the most 3's, but they've also attempted 36 more than any other team in the conference.
  • Northwestern is 2nd and there's another 20 attempt gap before you get to Purdue.
  • From there, things look pretty similar in terms of attempts per game.
  • Rutgers shoots the fewest 3's in the league by a substantial margin. They've only attempted 222 3's on the season 30 behind the next closest and more than 150 behind Michigan.

Also, Anton Gill is 6th in the Big Ten and in the top 90 in 3pt%. Thomas Allen would be right up there, too, but he apparently hasn't had enough attempts to qualify. I'm not sure what that limit is, because there are people with fewer attempts that are on the ESPN list.

Conversly, Glynn has taken a bit of a step back. He hit from nearly 40% last year. He's closer to 30% this year.

Edited by uneblinstu

Purdue is one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the nation (12th) at 348 attempts and 41.4% accuracy.

We're actually close to the same zip code as them this year.  We're 126 of 338; they're 144 of 348.

I commented on this somewhere before the season.  We were in the 300s last year in 3-pt defense and 300s in 3-pt offense.  Our attempts were low, etc.

I think I suggested what the affect on our scoring would be if we just reached average in both of those areas.

Hey, guess what.  We've done better than that.  As uneblinstu noted above, we're 92nd in the country in 3-pt FG%.  And we're 123rd in 3-pt FG% defense.  We've basically flipped the percentages between what we gave up and what we were hitting.

And now we're 11-5 (2-1) with a road win against a roughly top 50 team.

Yay us.