Scouting St John's

hhcmatt

Dump anything you know here.

They are playing tonight vs a scrub team in Central Connecticut that did play Rutgers tightly (Rutgers knocked off St John's in an exhibition at the RAC)

The game is on FS2 or Fox Sports Go at 5:30 pm CST  https://www.foxsportsgo.com/program/288302/central-connecticut-state-at-st-johns

16 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

On a semi-related note, Central Conn is coached by former UConn star Donyell Marshall...except he hasn't coached the last 2 games and won't coach this one because he's on administrative leave.

Was attempting to read that article but 4 million ads popped and now I'm seeing Lorde live

1 minute ago, basketballjones said:

Was attempting to read that article but 4 million ads popped and now I'm seeing Lorde live

haha...i have an adblocker so i didn't notice. Here is the text as we send this thread more off topic :)

The Central Connecticut men’s basketball program will continue to be without coach Donyell Marshall and assistant coach Anthony Anderson.

The school said Monday the coaches are “on leave” and will not coach in the Blue Devils’ game at St. John’s Tuesday night.

They missed the first two games of the season, an 85-84 loss on Friday against Hartford and a 71-67 loss at Rutgers on Sunday.

Central Connecticut head coach Donyell Marshall and assistant Anthony Anderson will miss their third consecutive game Tuesday (Hartford Courant / Desmond Conner)
The school issued a statement last week that the coaches would not be on the sideline because they were under investigation for a “personnel matter” hours before the Blue Devils’ exhibition game against Nyack on Nov. 2.

Neither Marshall nor Anderson has been around the team since. Assistants Mike Witcoskie and Anthony Ross have handled the coaching duties.

After the loss to Hartford, Witcoskie said the team is treating the situation as adversity it has to overcome.

Sources said the investigation is believed to involve a verbal dispute between Marshall and Anderson during a practice before the Nyack game that led to the two coaches coming chest-to-chest a couple of times. It happened after practice with no players around.

Central does not have an athletic director in place and is still looking to fill the role left void by Paul Schlickmann, who left for Fairfield in September.

Marshall, 44, is in his second season as the Blue Devils’ coach. The 1994 Big East player of the year and consensus first team All-American out of UConn. He played 15 seasons before embarking on a coaching career, beginning at George Washington in 2010. He was also an assistant at Rider and Buffalo before landing the job to replace Howie Dickenman in the spring of 2016.

Anderson is a 20-year assistant including 16 seasons at the Division I level. He was hired by Marshall last May, and played his college basketball at McNeese State.

Neither Marshall or Anderson could be reached for comment.

8 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Guard heavy lineup for Chris Mullins' squad.

When you think about what type of team NU will struggle with defensively based off of our perceived strengths and weaknesses, you start to realize that we are very versatile and could have a great year. 

What type of team would we struggle with based off our our line-up? I would say it would come down to our own foul trouble and who might be off the court. On paper, we have multiple line-ups that match-up with multiple different types of teams. Whether that translates to the real world is obviously yet to be seen. 

9 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

When you think about what type of team NU will struggle with defensively based off of our perceived strengths and weaknesses, you start to realize that we are very versatile and could have a great year. 

What type of team would we struggle with based off our our line-up? I would say it would come down to our own foul trouble and who might be off the court. On paper, we have multiple line-ups that match-up with multiple different types of teams. Whether that translates to the real world is obviously yet to be seen. 

Until Miles & Co. can sufficiently stop the three-point gunning teams, that still appears to be the downfall on D at this point in the program.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

haha...i have an adblocker so i didn't notice. Here is the text as we send this thread more off topic :)

The Central Connecticut men’s basketball program will continue to be without coach Donyell Marshall and assistant coach Anthony Anderson.

The school said Monday the coaches are “on leave” and will not coach in the Blue Devils’ game at St. John’s Tuesday night.

They missed the first two games of the season, an 85-84 loss on Friday against Hartford and a 71-67 loss at Rutgers on Sunday.

Central Connecticut head coach Donyell Marshall and assistant Anthony Anderson will miss their third consecutive game Tuesday (Hartford Courant / Desmond Conner)
The school issued a statement last week that the coaches would not be on the sideline because they were under investigation for a “personnel matter” hours before the Blue Devils’ exhibition game against Nyack on Nov. 2.

Neither Marshall nor Anderson has been around the team since. Assistants Mike Witcoskie and Anthony Ross have handled the coaching duties.

After the loss to Hartford, Witcoskie said the team is treating the situation as adversity it has to overcome.

Sources said the investigation is believed to involve a verbal dispute between Marshall and Anderson during a practice before the Nyack game that led to the two coaches coming chest-to-chest a couple of times. It happened after practice with no players around.

Central does not have an athletic director in place and is still looking to fill the role left void by Paul Schlickmann, who left for Fairfield in September.

Marshall, 44, is in his second season as the Blue Devils’ coach. The 1994 Big East player of the year and consensus first team All-American out of UConn. He played 15 seasons before embarking on a coaching career, beginning at George Washington in 2010. He was also an assistant at Rider and Buffalo before landing the job to replace Howie Dickenman in the spring of 2016.

Anderson is a 20-year assistant including 16 seasons at the Division I level. He was hired by Marshall last May, and played his college basketball at McNeese State.

Neither Marshall or Anderson could be reached for comment.

Donyell was one of MANY Timberwolves lottery picks who was an absolute flop in the NBA.

St. John's has a pair of really talented scoring guards in Shamorie Ponds and Marcus Lovett who are equally capable of winning them a game and shooting them out of it. They added a pair of transfers from Arizona and Michigan State who are starting for them as defensive players, but the team still can't defend (as evidenced by allowing Rutgers to score 80 points). Chris Mullin is a terrible coach who is more of a figurehead than anything else. 

15 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Until Miles & Co. can sufficiently stop the three-point gunning teams, that still appears to be the downfall on D at this point in the program.

Which is really rough, when you realize that the 3 in this era of basketball is more popular than it's ever been. (Steph curry, etc etc) It's a staple of any contending team. So we have to face it and work on it. Miles can do it, I believe, but it's gonna be tough. 

I predicted a win and am sticking with it after watching them play last night. Their guards are really good, but they're small and we can stick bigger guys on them to slow their shooting. I also don't think they can handle Jordy (I know he hasn't played well to this point), and I just don't buy that Mullin's a good coach. 

My main doubt regards us cutting off drives, just not sure our on-ball defense is that good.