uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: Vol 10; Ed. 2 - North Texas

uneblinstu

My humble takeaways:

- North Texas was not as polished as Eastern Illinois, that said, they have a few talented players.  I am not certain I would exchange any of our players for any of their's though.

- Brutal game to watch as there was very little flow after the first ten minutes.  I have a feeling the coach for NT told his players that we cannot match their talent, so we need to play with unbridled aggression.  So began the hack-fest.

- If we can photocopy the first ten minutes of that game and say this is how we are going to play for forty minutes, EVERY game, then I would be a very, very happy camper.

- Overall free throw shooting looked much better.  We at least got a lot of practice in.

- I am still concerned a bit about our spacing.  But until we consistently knock down our open looks, the middle will be mucked up.

- Glynn is Glynn, an exceptional floor general.  Played excellent defense, but his shot is still missing in action a bit.  His shots are right on the rim...so the shot will come.

- James seems to be forcing some shots.  I didn't see that tendency in the exhibition games.  But his overall game is there.

- Evan = glue.  Nothing spectacular, everything is team oriented.  He even rushed over to calm things between the referee and Coach Miles at one point.

- Thomas looked a bit tentative last night.  Not sure why, but the dude is a player and he simply needs to gain his footing...quickly.

- Duby can flat out sky.  He attempts to block everything, which is good and bad.  Bad in that he leaves the back-side open for a rebound and put back.  They tried an ally-oop to him and thankfully he lost the grip on the ball, because he would have been about two-feet short :)

- Jordy is still not all the way back.  He looks more lumbering than fluid at this point.  But he rebounds well...but his offensive game is MIA.

- Isaac simply let's the game come to him.  He doesn't seem to force anything.  Good rebounding last night, good defense as well.  He has the stroke...and I anticipate the scoring will increase.

- Jack had a good game with limited minutes.  In game one he tended to stand around a lot.  Against NT he was moving more and contributed in a number of ways.  Nice game.

- Isaiah had another good night.  I mentioned in the preseason that if Isaiah was not starting, that would tell me we have an excellent team on our hands.  Well, I will reemphasize that point once again.

- Nana, Thor, Malcolm, Tanner, Youngblood all got a few minutes.  Tanner continues to impress me with his basketball IQ.  I certainly see him on the floor and will not utter an expletive when he comes in.  He has earned his playing time and should be proud of his development.

The first ten minutes of this game was exceptional.  The remaining 30 minutes were pretty pedestrian.  But it is hard to get into the flow of the game when the opponent is literally fouling you each trip down the court.  Overall grade, B.

Edited by huskercwg

20 minutes ago, NUtball said:

What's wrong with Jordy?  Is he still behind because of his injury/surgery?

We haven't tried to work the ball into any of our centers much in the first two games.  Will that change when we match up vs larger post players?  Even St John's is a little undersized. UCF with Tacko Fall certainly isn't.

11 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

It sucked from what I heard.

I really don't care about the Husker Power chant but certainly like it better than people still trying to do the "3 clap" deal.  What really sucks is our video they play before the starting line-up.  That is just plain bad!!!!  The music to it is horrible and does nothing to get the crowd pumped up.  It is just embarrassing that is the best they can come up with.

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Duby can flat out sky.  He attempts to block everything, which is good and bad.  Bad in that he leaves the back-side open for a rebound and put back.

This is worth watching. He answered a lot here.

Re Duby: he wants Duby going after those balls because it alters shots/gets in guy's heads.  It's on the rest of the team to box out and get the rebounds.

Here's the player's interview.

UNT Article-- Talks about our "Size" a lot.  When is the last time you heard teams say we just "Outsized" them?-- http://ntdaily.com/mens-basketball-overwhelmed-in-road-loss-to-nebraska/

“Physically they drove it at us,” McCasland said. “The game is fast and physical early and [we] were trying to adjust to it, for one. And two, once they got that big of a lead you feel like you have to try to make plays to try to get back into things. But their size was the difference really.”

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Forgot all about this: Thomas Allen landed really awkwardly on his tailbone after going up with a shot at the rim and they took him to the trainer's room. It's possible that he's unavailable for the St John's game if it was bad enough.

That was the worst part of the night. And Jordy looked a bit gimpy as well...

My box score notes

-Bummed to have burned both Nana and Thor's redshirts. Would have really liked to RS one. 

-We need Jordy to get full speed. Having a player his caliber able to play 20-25 minutes is the the difference between one or two more non-conf wins/losses imo.

-Roby stuffed the stat sheet again. Really think he has a chance to average 1+ in the five statistical categories.

-Copeland is struggling to shoot the ball (1-7 yikes). I think he has only hit one three between the preseason and first two games. Glad to see him be able to contribute in other ways tho. 8 reb, 2 asst, 4 blks, 8 FTA.

-Glynn, Taylor, and James were solid. Palmer played better than last game. But has yet to be as efficient as we saw him in the preseason.

-Duby played his role well. Really hope he is working on FT shooting bc i can sense "Hack-a-Duby" coming at some point in the season.

-Tanner got on some action. Still thankful to have him as an emergency player.

-Hope Allen is okay.

The rest of the week will be good tests! Road game against a middle of the pack Big East team and a TOUGH UND coming to PBA.

Random, less important question: is Costello gonna redshirt?

With Nana and Thor playing and 3 other walk ons, we have our 5 players for garbage time. With Costello's ability to shoot the 3, I wouldnt mind giving him a RS year to work on strength, agility, and explosiveness. Never know what it could turn into.

Edited by khoock

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Random, less important question: is Costello gonna redshirt?

With Nana and Thor playing and 3 other walk ons, we have our 5 players for garbage time. With Costello's ability to shoot the 3, I wouldnt mind giving him a RS year to work on strength, agility, and explosiveness. Never know what it could turn into.

Pretty sure I had read somewhere that Justin Costello was planning to redshirt...

10 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Wow, big blow to North Texas.  Gibson is out for the year after undergoing surgery on the ankle he broke versus Nebraska (when Jordy fell on him).  I wish the young man well in his recovery!

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/11/15/breaking-news-gibson-season

Wow, that sucks. When it happened and the way Kent and Matt were describing things, it sounded like a pretty bad injury but I was hopeful when he walked off that maybe he'd be okay.  Here's to a quick recovery.