uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 1 - Eastern Illinois

uneblinstu

Survive and improve. Ya didn't think it was all gonna go perfectly, did you?

• "Bring em out" needs work. Music shouldn’t play for 90 seconds before we see them come out of the tunnel. That's been a problem for a while.
  • Also, boo to the weak passive-aggressive "Husker Power" chant while the teams were still in the locker room. We weren’t having it though. Props to the student section for getting it going during intros.
  • Loved that energy early. Both from the team and from the fans. Night and day better than the exhibition.
  • Second segment wasn’t as great. EIU has some athletes, gave us some fits.
  • Grumpy Old Men was the movie for that little game they do. Sounds like a perfect description of the fan base right now.
  • A little surprised jack was re 9th or 10th to get in the game.
  • Surprised they gave Roby the basket on his layup in the middle of the first half.
  • Seems like we took a lot of rushed shots in the middle of the half. Lots of bad offense.
  • Cope looked the best he has yet as a Husker.
  • Roby was really disruptive at the rim. Just a ton of blocks.
  • When they want to, they can really turn up the defensive heat. Don’t seem to be able to do it consistently, though.
  • Was good to see Roby knock down that 3. He’s got that in him.
  • I love the potential of that lineup with Glynn, Allen, Cope, Roby and Palmer.
  • We’ll see how lineups shake out. I think there’s a fairly clear top 8. There might be another 2 behind that that can hold things steady. Not sure where jack fits in yet. I things will settle in at about 9. We played 10 today, just 8 in the second half.
  • One of the better youth halftime games we’ve seen in a while.
  • The free throw struggles were bizarre. Hopefully that doesn’t become s trend. It shouldn’t with this team.
  • EIU put a lot of work into denying Glynn the ball. Wonder how much of that we see down the road.
  • I liked the 1-3-1 look, even though the dude hit the three over it.
  • EIU is a pesky bunch.
  • Huskers got sloppy with the ball in the middle is the second half.
  • Allen is a spark plug.
  • They seemed to stop calling fouls after eiu got into the bonus with 14 to play.
  • Watson took the game over down the stretch.
  • Roby had a double double and it felt like he has 10+ blocks too. Great, great game from him.
  • I liked that we had to fight through that today.
  • We only played 8 in the 2nd half and 10 for the game, I think. I’m fine with that group.
  • 59% from the line isn’t acceptable. We were lucky to survive that tonight.
  • That defense in the last minute was atrocious.
  • Thank goodness for Glynn.

- Whew....

- That was a scrappy team we played tonight.  They had good guard play, and man, they hit some tough shots.

- Glynn did well, but so did Isaiah.  Big time game.

- I thought we played good defense, but we seemed to break down at times.

- OMG - make your free throws for goodness sake.  Great job getting to the line, but holy cow, make your free throws.

The players:

-- Glynn was willing to take a back seat approach until crunch time, and then he rose to the occasion.  Love to see that.

-- Thomas hit some nice three's.  Great to have a player like that coming off the bench. 

-- Evan defended well, and hit some clutch shots.  Pretty decent game.

-- James struggled offensively, and he sort of let it get to him on the defensive end at times.  He will be okay, though.  First game jitters.

-- Jack had a very pedestrian game.  Nothing too bad, nothing much to write home about either.

-- Isaac did some nice things.  He let's the game come to him.  Nothing seemed forced.  I hope he continues to improve.

-- Duby was MIA.  Match up nightmare for him tonight.  Same goes for Tanner.

-- Jordy, Jordy, Jordy.  Not sure what to say.  He had opportunities offensively, and simply struggled.  His offensive weapons are too limited.

-- Isaiah was my star of the game.  Valuable minutes and he played tough tonight.  Nice to see!

My grade for the Huskers tonight was C. 

1 minute ago, lang said:

It seemed like Roby got tentative on the defensive end as far as going after blocks maybe the last 5-10 minutes. 

We noticed that.  I thought it was a great tactic.  He was intimidating shots all night, and then at the end, he laid back and when they missed, he was in position to rebound. 

I was worried about this game. And EIU showed that I should've been. Glad we squeaked it out. This will be the toughest non P5 school we face aside from maybe North Dakota.

-Zay had a monster game: 11 pts 13 reb 6 blk. I think he will stuff the stat sheet all season long in a variety of ways

-Palmer's worst performance that we have seen from him. Probably first game jitters

-Watson was clutch as we needed and I expected him to be

-Taylor gave us what i expect. Maybe even a little more offensively

-Still trying to figure out Copeland. Seems to have had a solid game.

-Jordy rebounded well (11 reb in 20 min) not much else

-Not a good game/match up for our posts

-Not sure what to think of Jack based off the box score doesnt seem like he did much.

-Thomas Allen (6 pts 2 assts) with a solid outing

-Gill, Thor, and Nana DNP

-FT were a concern but not overly worried. Taylor was 70-80 percent from the stripe last year amd Palmer shot well in the preseason.

Glad to be back and undefeated. GBR!

Edited by khoock

I’m not panicking. If we hit free throws at a normal rate or the rate I think we will,  we win by double figures. If Palmer shoots the way he has the first three games that didn’t count, we win by double figures. If both happen, we run away with it. Jordy never looks good against a small line up. He will play better against power 5 teams with real posts. Duby moved like a 60 year old in warmups. Something was wrong with his back. He played a very little and had a dunk blocked by a smaller player and we never saw him again. I think there had to be an injury. All in all it’s a win with Watson taking the game over at the end. That was good to see and bodes well for down the road. 

IMHO Allen should have played 25 minutes tonight. He was a scorer who could shoot the three which we  desperately needed tonight and was having no problems guarding their tiny point guard. Also I think James Palmer had an off night because he wasn’t getting fouls on the drive which discouraged him from attacking as the game progressed. If I remember correctly he had a lot of points off free throws in previous games (definitely unsure though) and he didn’t get those tonight. We were also very lucky number 25 their big man fouled out he looked very good but only played 11 minutes.

Overall I don’t really care how close it was other than I really thought we were going to lose. I think this team will be a top 150 team and maybe a conference champ tourney team if their conference is really bad. But who really knows

*We're down 10 at half if Roby doesn't play great.

*Palmer must have been reading his press clippings; disappointing night.  If he misses open looks consistently he will struggle in the league.

*Copeland's mid range game was improved, but he played soft.  He has to rebound better.  

*EIU was decent but this game was alarming.  

*not a good matchup for Jack tonight. 

A hard fought win will always beat an incarnate word.

Uneblinstu gave a good summary. I have just a few things to add

Watching Watson match up with Lewis (the pesky 5'7" guard) was fun to watch. I have to give Lewis credit for playing well with no quit in his game.

Our making 5/10 layups is alarming. Then you look at the shot chart and it was not a good night anywhere except the right elbow. 2/2, so a small sample size. I can't stop wishing our shooters would pull up here more often. You coaches (Dean, BBJones, etc.), is there a reason we should not shoot at the elbows more than we do?

1 minute ago, trickey said:

A hard fought win will always beat an incarnate word.

Uneblinstu gave a good summary. I have just a few things to add

Watching Watson match up with Lewis (the pesky 5'7" guard) was fun to watch. I have to give Lewis credit for playing well with no quit in his game.

Our making 5/10 layups is alarming. Then you look at the shot chart and it was not a good night anywhere except the right elbow. 2/2, so a small sample size. I can't stop wishing our shooters would pull up here more often. You coaches (Dean, BBJones, etc.), is there a reason we should not shoot at the elbows more than we do?

Elbow shots are starting to be de-emphasized. It’s all about 3’s or shots in the paint 

5 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Elbow shots are starting to be de-emphasized. It’s all about 3’s or shots in the paint 

I would think Watson, Palmer, and Copeland would often be driving toward the hoop and their man would continue on if they pulled up and shot. For shooters this has got to be a shot you make more than half the time. Well, at least I think so but I also remember our free throw shooting this evening.

EIU reminded me of that fly that gets in your car and keeps flying around you when you are driving down the interstate.

You can't hit him well enough to kill him and when he is on the window you roll it down and he is pushed into the back seat where he then comes back and flies around your face again.

They are a team that hangs with you, makes you work hard, shoots and makes some shots that shouldn't go in, and are smaller so you which makes for  match up problems on D.

As always a win is a win.

1-0 baby!:)

Edited by Silverbacked1

5 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Gimme open elbow shots over a hit-or-miss three.

If you hit elbows at 50% and threes at 35% the threes win over the course of a season.

If you shoot better it is obvious which wins.

Streakier but better math... Which is why it has been faded out.  Scoring explosions win games when you can play d along with it... Generally speaking of course.

Roby played one of the most complete halves I have seen from a Nebraska bball player in a long time. That was encouraging. The stat sheet says 6 blocked shots but he disrupted several more. Glynn came through when we needed him, which is what you count on team leaders to do. My biggest concern from last night is that we get stagnate in our offensive sets. Too often, it appears that neither the ball nor the players move and we count on somebody making a great one-on-one play to score.