Talley

Huskerbb73

Is he trying to do too much this year.  I understand that there are not a lot of options to score this year, but it seems like he is doing a little too much dribbling and trying to make his own shot and he has ended up taking some bad looking shots this year.  Gallegos is similar in that he has taken some bad shots.  We have seen some pretty bad shot selection from them and that has caused them to have some pretty bad FG% numbers.  Is this just a  function of not having a lot of options or is this just Miles giving them free reign to shoot? 

Is he trying to do too much this year.  I understand that there are not a lot of options to score this year, but it seems like he is doing a little too much dribbling and trying to make his own shot and he has ended up taking some bad looking shots this year.  Gallegos is similar in that he has taken some bad shots.  We have seen some pretty bad shot selection from them and that has caused them to have some pretty bad FG% numbers.  Is this just a  function of not having a lot of options or is this just Miles giving them free reign to shoot? 

I think it is Miles giving them free reign to shoot because there are not many other options.  We are asking Talley to do alot of things this year - including some things he is not particularly good at - simply because we don't have anyone else who can fill those roles better.

I don't know, maybe this is just a stupid post, but I just haven't liked NU's offensive flow and movement the last few games.  It seems like it is ok at the start of the game, but it just seems like it evolves to Talley dribbling around for a while and then taking a bad shot.  I don't want to call him a ball hog, but sometimes it just seems that way.  If they are going to have those two taking a lot of the shots, then I guess I would like to see something set up to get them a shot as a part of the offense, not just dribbling around and taking a shot.  I dunno, maybe I just am being petty. 

I think the injury to Peltz is affecting this team more than people think or want to admit.  Yeah his offense wasn't good.  But he handled the ball well, didn't turn it over and played good defense.  Him not being there is forcing guys like Talley to do the things that were previously said.  But that's just my opinion.

Kaz I think you are spot on.  Talley needs to learn when and how to give up the ball.  He dribbles way to much and does force a lot of bad shots.  Yes we have few options on scoring and it will fall on he and Ray to carry the load, well Shields is picking up some of it if he is not in foul trouble, but yes you are correct.

I feel like Talley has played well lately. Am I the only one? His task is impossible. He is a decent basketball player with no help around him. Ever since the Michigan game, except for his late turnover that hurt us, I feel like he has been under control and playing well.

I will say for a guy playing out of position and playing with little relief and few options, he is doing pretty well.  Is he out of control on occasion or does he hoist up a bad shot or two...sure, but options are oftentime limited.  I also think that Benny has been better in the past two games, although he did have an open look against Illinois and when he took his shot, the result was...more or less...ugly.

I don't know, maybe this is just a stupid post, but I just haven't liked NU's offensive flow and movement the last few games.  It seems like it is ok at the start of the game, but it just seems like it evolves to Talley dribbling around for a while and then taking a bad shot.  I don't want to call him a ball hog, but sometimes it just seems that way.  If they are going to have those two taking a lot of the shots, then I guess I would like to see something set up to get them a shot as a part of the offense, not just dribbling around and taking a shot.  I dunno, maybe I just am being petty. 

First of all, he is not point guard, yet he is having to play that position.  He is not athletic enough to go by defenders on most teams. I like Miles spacing in the offense compared to Doc's, but Doc did run more set plays. 

dylan has a thankless task here. really, none of us should be beating up on any player this season, because all of them are having to do things that they aren't accustomed to doing. Ray's shot selection drives me nuts, too, but it's a result of feeling like he has to get hot for us to win and every team is putting their better defenders on him (and talley, and now probably shields, although Dean Smith tells me this is not so, so I could be wrong here).

we just don't have a lot of options out on the court right now, so I think some of the wildness is a result of that.

It's not petty, but it's also not realistic.  It (A perception that Talley and Ray do stuff outside of an offensive flow) has a lot to do with not having a pure post player who is effective, relieving perimter pressure, 2 guys on the court at most times who aren't threats to score, and that we don't have anyone who can get to the rim on the drive.  Offenses look like that when your players aren't that good.  Teams with the players and coaching you see in this league can take away your best couple of options, and you're left with some possessions where you're down to the last 10 few seconds of the shot clock and someone has to get a shot off.  And for us, that will typically be Ray or Talley.  With Talley, it will involve some dribbling, cause it's too late to run through the offense again.  Watch closely--we do all kinds of things to try to get shots out of the offense, but there will still be lots of possessions whre that doesn't happen.