Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
huskercwg

Kent

Recommended Posts

Since Kent and I are "Buddies" now, I'd like to share a Pavelka story some of you might have heard before. When we knocked off #1 Missouri down in Colombia back in '82, Kent did most of the broadcast in a hushed tone, fearful I believe that if he spoke too loudly he might "jinx" us and we would lose. This was vintage Pavelka, and a memory I've always treasured. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Since Kent and I are "Buddies" now, I'd like to share a Pavelka story some of you might have heard before. When we knocked off #1 Missouri down in Colombia back in '82, Kent did most of the broadcast in a hushed tone, fearful I believe that if he spoke too loudly he might "jinx" us and we would lose. This was vintage Pavelka, and a memory I've always treasured. 

 

Or get beat up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 12:33 PM, Handy Johnson said:

Since Kent and I are "Buddies" now, I'd like to share a Pavelka story some of you might have heard before. When we knocked off #1 Missouri down in Colombia back in '82, Kent did most of the broadcast in a hushed tone, fearful I believe that if he spoke too loudly he might "jinx" us and we would lose. This was vintage Pavelka, and a memory I've always treasured. 

As I remember it, he was getting too animated in front of the Tiger fans, and some behind him were throwing popcorn at him as the last 5 or so minutes transpired.

Edited by HuskerCager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Antlers" as the Missouri student section was called, were legendary as grade" A" a**holes, so that story doesn't surprise me.   I remember listening as a Sophomore in High School, STUNNED as Kent almost whispered the last few moments of that game. That was a good Husker squad though that went to the NIT Final Four (the following year) but it WAS Jack Moore's Senior year, RIP as always... 

Edited by Handy Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember listening to that game as well - and my clear recollection was Kent was definitely worried about the reaction from the Missouri crowd if he got too animated or excited.  Missouri crowds at the time (Antlers particularly) were notorious for their treatment of opposing teams.

 

FWIW the win at #1 Missouri was in 1981-82.  That was not a very good Husker team.  The NIT Final Four team was the next season - 82-83, Dave Hoppen's freshman year.  That team was very good - would have easily made the NCAA tourney that year if it was a 64 team field (that didn't happen until a couple years later). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it Andre Smith who stomped on the Antlers remote truck that bumped in to him during a time out?

 

I just remeber they had this remote 4x4 like Big Foot truck they would drive around the floor during time outs.  it ran into I think Andre Smith's foot and kind of sat there.  Andre looks down and just stomps it to pieces in like one quick foot plant.

 

Place goes wild, guys want to kill him, they have to clear off the floor... and some poor college kid is out like what $100 or more.  It was glorious:wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

I remember listening to that game as well - and my clear recollection was Kent was definitely worried about the reaction from the Missouri crowd if he got too animated or excited.  Missouri crowds at the time (Antlers particularly) were notorious for their treatment of opposing teams.

 

FWIW the win at #1 Missouri was in 1981-82.  That was not a very good Husker team.  The NIT Final Four team was the next season - 82-83, Dave Hoppen's freshman year.  That team was very good - would have easily made the NCAA tourney that year if it was a 64 team field (that didn't happen until a couple years later). 

 

I stand corrected, wasn't 82-83 Stan Cloudy's first year too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Claude Renfro? Kenny Walton? Anyway... here's another Kent classic that I used as a Voicemail greeting for years. '93 OU @ NU Football, Nebraska punts and OU fumbles. "They're unpiling the players at the 23, who's got it, Huskers say they're on top of it......... still no indication yet......................still no indication......(long,long pregnant pause).............................. Nebraska's Got the Ball! (crowd roars & roars) HOLY COW, HOW BOUT THOSE HUSKERS!" Then we went on to play FSU in the Title game & well you know...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Claude Renfro? Kenny Walton? Anyway... here's another Kent classic that I used as a Voicemail greeting for years. '93 OU @ NU Football, Nebraska punts and OU fumbles. "They're unpiling the players at the 23, who's got it, Huskers say they're on top of it......... still no indication yet......................still no indication......(long,long pregnant pause).............................. Nebraska's Got the Ball! (crowd roars & roars) HOLY COW, HOW BOUT THOSE HUSKERS!" Then we went on to play FSU in the Title game & well you know...  

 

We got none of the calls. The kick went wide; and then I cried!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Handy - yes 82-83 was Stan Cloudy's first year - of 2, he was a JUCO transfer.   Starters that year were David Ponce, Greg Downing, Cloudy, Claude Renfro and Hoppen.

 

The other center on the 81-82 team was Lenard Johnson.  Lenard actually started most of the games in front of Terry Smith.  They were both 6-6.  Terry Smith was bulky and very athletic.  Lenard was not athletic at all - even though he was 6-6 he could barely dunk at all.  Remember sitting in the bleachers during warmups and Jaime Williams from the football team was giving Lenard a bad time challenging him to try to dunk.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Was it Andre Smith who stomped on the Antlers remote truck that bumped in to him during a time out?

 

I just remeber they had this remote 4x4 like Big Foot truck they would drive around the floor during time outs.  it ran into I think Andre Smith's foot and kind of sat there.  Andre looks down and just stomps it to pieces in like one quick foot plant.

 

Place goes wild, guys want to kill him, they have to clear off the floor... and some poor college kid is out like what $100 or more.  It was glorious:wub:

What still amazes me is that Andre was 1980 Big 8 Player of the Year, started at Center, and was all of 6'6". The strength, the footwork, the guile and oh those sideburns. For those that never saw him play, he was a LOAD down low, even at 6'6" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×