Kent

Huskerpapa

Correct Randy Lee was hired after working PXP for UC-Santa Barbara (the Gauchos), after leaving Nebraska he went on to Western Kentucky to cover the Hilltoppers. Not sure if he's still there or not. Warren Swain left about the same time Frank Solich left ending up as the PXP guy for the Ohio Bobcats. Not sure if he's still there but I don't think so.

Edited by aksarben

On 3/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, HuskerCager said:

I remember listening to Jack Payne , and later Kent, on KFAB.  The broadcast would always start with that KFAB jingle-theme tune being played by a band.   Remember that?  KFAB had a pretty short pregame for football and basketball back then.  Maybe 15 minutes.  This YouTube link is a gem, by the way.

I always had to switch to KFOR after the game, as this Lincoln station had rights to have Dick Perry interview Joe Cipriano after the game.  The station didn't come in very well, even though I lived just 25 minutes from Lincoln.  That show would always close with the old Monday night football theme.

Following players like Chuck Jura, Marvin Stewart, LeRoy Chalk, Ricky Harris, Jerry Fort and Steve Willis got me hooked on NU Basketball.  I remember feeling crushed after NU lost an OT nailbiter in Columbia in February 1976, which locked up Mizzou's claim to the Big 8 regular season title instead of Nebraska.  What a valiant effort.  That was NU's last year in the Coliseum and Jerry Fort's last year as well.  That game pretty much made this 15-year-old a diehard fan.  I already had enjoyed 2 football national championships after following basketball and football for 6 years.  I figured it was only a matter of time before NU would enjoy their first outright conference basketball crown.:rolleyes:  So this program became my baby, as I love the underdog.

This is chicken soup for the soul that suffered another painful setback yesterday.  It's going to be a long and quiet week.

Great memories.  Thank you, Kent, for making the ride so fun! 

Amazing how this is pretty much identical to my love story with Nebrasketball... only two decades later!

Thanks for sharing,  I love reading these types of posts

On 3/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, HuskerCager said:

I remember listening to Jack Payne , and later Kent, on KFAB.  The broadcast would always start with that KFAB jingle-theme tune being played by a band.   Remember that?  KFAB had a pretty short pregame for football and basketball back then.  Maybe 15 minutes.  This YouTube link is a gem, by the way.

I always had to switch to KFOR after the game, as this Lincoln station had rights to have Dick Perry interview Joe Cipriano after the game.  The station didn't come in very well, even though I lived just 25 minutes from Lincoln.  That show would always close with the old Monday night football theme.

Following players like Chuck Jura, Marvin Stewart, LeRoy Chalk, Ricky Harris, Jerry Fort and Steve Willis got me hooked on NU Basketball.  I remember feeling crushed after NU lost an OT nailbiter in Columbia in February 1976, which locked up Mizzou's claim to the Big 8 regular season title instead of Nebraska.  What a valiant effort.  That was NU's last year in the Coliseum and Jerry Fort's last year as well.  That game pretty much made this 15-year-old a diehard fan.  I already had enjoyed 2 football national championships after following basketball and football for 6 years.  I figured it was only a matter of time before NU would enjoy their first outright conference basketball crown.:rolleyes:  So this program became my baby, as I love the underdog.

This is chicken soup for the soul that suffered another painful setback yesterday.  It's going to be a long and quiet week.

Are you and I twin brothers from a different mother?  Those are many of the same memerioes I have.  Thanks for the trip back in time.:)

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, HuskerCager said:

That's about the time I became a fan. The family moved back to Lincoln from Milwaukee in 1969 after my father passed away. A family friend gave me season tickets to basketball for the 1969-70 season and I became a diehard fan right then and there. Later on I played a lot of pick up games in the old coliseum with players on the team, as two good friends were on the team. At my size I always got stuck guarding Steve Willis and some games he took pity on me and some games...well lets just say I chased him a lot. But playing with BIG guys like that did move my jump shot from being accurate out to about 18 feet to NBA 3 point range, so there's that.

One of my proudest possessions for years that I still have to this day is a series of autographed photos of guys like Jura, Scantlebury, Brendy Lee and the like. Always wished I had one of Jerry Fort, as he is still my favorite player.  

On 3/2/2018 at 10:55 PM, Kent Pavelka said:

You are thinking of Joe Patrick doing Creighton games in the 80's. Jack worked with me at KFAB from 1974 until he retired, doing football color for both Bremser and me. He was doing Husker basketball until I took over for him in 74'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the correction, Kent.  I had my longtime announcers with the initials “JP” mixed up.  Always enjoy your enthusiasm on the game calls, by the way.

• 6 months later...