Kent

Huskerpapa

5 hours ago, cipsucks said:

I've been listening to Husker basketball games since I was 10.  That would be 1971.  As a testament to how good Kent is, I can't for the life of me remember who called the games on KFAB before he started.  Even though I've never met him, I feel like he's a good friend.

Need to get him to Hampton for a meal!

21 hours ago, cipsucks said:

I've been listening to Husker basketball games since I was 10.  That would be 1971.  As a testament to how good Kent is, I can't for the life of me remember who called the games on KFAB before he started.  Even though I've never met him, I feel like he's a good friend.

I think it was Dick Perry.

3 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Back then, they had multiple radio stations broadcasting Husker sports.  I'm pretty sure Dick Perry was on KLIN, but I could be wrong....

When I was growing up in the late 1960s/early 1970s, Dick Perry was on KFOR. Don Gill did the football games on KLIN.

Football lineup as a kid was:

KFOR = Dick Perry

KLIN = Don Gill

WOW = Joe Patrick

KFAB = Lyell Bremser

As a Lincolnite, I couldn't stand Bremser. We just dialed him in when we scored. Otherwise, he had no idea what was going on.

Edited by jayschool

Later Jack Payne joined the KFAB broadcast crew and Russ Baldwin took over the play by play on WOW, prior to Don Gill was Bob Zinner on KLIN. I believe Ray Scott did one season on KFOR prior to KFAB taking over the broadcast rights and setting up the Nebraska Football Network & Nebraska Basketball Network. Jack Payne also did Creighton basketball at some point back in the 1960s as well.

1 hour ago, aksarben said:

Later Jack Payne joined the KFAB broadcast crew and Russ Baldwin took over the play by play on WOW, prior to Don Gill was Bob Zinner on KLIN. I believe Ray Scott did one season on KFOR prior to KFAB taking over the broadcast rights and setting up the Nebraska Football Network & Nebraska Basketball Network. Jack Payne also did Creighton basketball at some point back in the 1960s as well.

Great memory. It was Bob Zenner, who died from cancer at age 36 right before the 1967 football season; and Ray Scott's year on KFOR was 1982.

Edited by jayschool

Payne was on air for Creighton till at least the late ‘80’s.

You are thinking of Joe Patrick doing Creighton games in the 80's. Jack worked with me at KFAB from 1974 until he retired, doing football color for both Bremser and me. He was doing Husker basketball until I took over for him in 74'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure appreciate your kind words. Jack Payne did the games on KFAB before I started in 1974.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember listening to Jack Payne , and later Kent, on KFAB.  The broadcast would always start with that KFAB jingle-theme tune being played by a band.   Remember that?  KFAB had a pretty short pregame for football and basketball back then.  Maybe 15 minutes.  This YouTube link is a gem, by the way.

I always had to switch to KFOR after the game, as this Lincoln station had rights to have Dick Perry interview Joe Cipriano after the game.  The station didn't come in very well, even though I lived just 25 minutes from Lincoln.  That show would always close with the old Monday night football theme.

Following players like Chuck Jura, Marvin Stewart, LeRoy Chalk, Ricky Harris, Jerry Fort and Steve Willis got me hooked on NU Basketball.  I remember feeling crushed after NU lost an OT nailbiter in Columbia in February 1976, which locked up Mizzou's claim to the Big 8 regular season title instead of Nebraska.  What a valiant effort.  That was NU's last year in the Coliseum and Jerry Fort's last year as well.  That game pretty much made this 15-year-old a diehard fan.  I already had enjoyed 2 football national championships after following basketball and football for 6 years.  I figured it was only a matter of time before NU would enjoy their first outright conference basketball crown.:rolleyes:  So this program became my baby, as I love the underdog.

This is chicken soup for the soul that suffered another painful setback yesterday.  It's going to be a long and quiet week.

Great memories.  Thank you, Kent, for making the ride so fun! 

Edited by HuskerCager

...I am also wondering who will take over for Matt for both football and basketball next season.  Is it possible he stays on board, at least for football?
Probably Jake Muhl for basketball. Matt may stay on for football (not sure yet).

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk