Kent

Huskerpapa

Since Kent and I are "Buddies" now, I'd like to share a Pavelka story some of you might have heard before. When we knocked off #1 Missouri down in Colombia back in '82, Kent did most of the broadcast in a hushed tone, fearful I believe that if he spoke too loudly he might "jinx" us and we would lose. This was vintage Pavelka, and a memory I've always treasured. 

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Since Kent and I are "Buddies" now, I'd like to share a Pavelka story some of you might have heard before. When we knocked off #1 Missouri down in Colombia back in '82, Kent did most of the broadcast in a hushed tone, fearful I believe that if he spoke too loudly he might "jinx" us and we would lose. This was vintage Pavelka, and a memory I've always treasured. 

Or get beat up!

On 11/10/2017 at 12:33 PM, Handy Johnson said:

As I remember it, he was getting too animated in front of the Tiger fans, and some behind him were throwing popcorn at him as the last 5 or so minutes transpired.

Edited by HuskerCager

The "Antlers" as the Missouri student section was called, were legendary as grade" A" a**holes, so that story doesn't surprise me.   I remember listening as a Sophomore in High School, STUNNED as Kent almost whispered the last few moments of that game. That was a good Husker squad though that went to the NIT Final Four (the following year) but it WAS Jack Moore's Senior year, RIP as always... 

Edited by Handy Johnson

I remember listening to that game as well - and my clear recollection was Kent was definitely worried about the reaction from the Missouri crowd if he got too animated or excited.  Missouri crowds at the time (Antlers particularly) were notorious for their treatment of opposing teams.

FWIW the win at #1 Missouri was in 1981-82.  That was not a very good Husker team.  The NIT Final Four team was the next season - 82-83, Dave Hoppen's freshman year.  That team was very good - would have easily made the NCAA tourney that year if it was a 64 team field (that didn't happen until a couple years later). 

Was it Andre Smith who stomped on the Antlers remote truck that bumped in to him during a time out?

I just remeber they had this remote 4x4 like Big Foot truck they would drive around the floor during time outs.  it ran into I think Andre Smith's foot and kind of sat there.  Andre looks down and just stomps it to pieces in like one quick foot plant.

Place goes wild, guys want to kill him, they have to clear off the floor... and some poor college kid is out like what $100 or more.  It was glorious:wub:

5 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

I remember listening to that game as well - and my clear recollection was Kent was definitely worried about the reaction from the Missouri crowd if he got too animated or excited.  Missouri crowds at the time (Antlers particularly) were notorious for their treatment of opposing teams.

FWIW the win at #1 Missouri was in 1981-82.  That was not a very good Husker team.  The NIT Final Four team was the next season - 82-83, Dave Hoppen's freshman year.  That team was very good - would have easily made the NCAA tourney that year if it was a 64 team field (that didn't happen until a couple years later). 

I stand corrected, wasn't 82-83 Stan Cloudy's first year too?

Claude Renfro? Kenny Walton? Anyway... here's another Kent classic that I used as a Voicemail greeting for years. '93 OU @ NU Football, Nebraska punts and OU fumbles. "They're unpiling the players at the 23, who's got it, Huskers say they're on top of it......... still no indication yet......................still no indication......(long,long pregnant pause).............................. Nebraska's Got the Ball! (crowd roars & roars) HOLY COW, HOW BOUT THOSE HUSKERS!" Then we went on to play FSU in the Title game & well you know...  

14 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Claude Renfro? Kenny Walton? Anyway... here's another Kent classic that I used as a Voicemail greeting for years. '93 OU @ NU Football, Nebraska punts and OU fumbles. "They're unpiling the players at the 23, who's got it, Huskers say they're on top of it......... still no indication yet......................still no indication......(long,long pregnant pause).............................. Nebraska's Got the Ball! (crowd roars & roars) HOLY COW, HOW BOUT THOSE HUSKERS!" Then we went on to play FSU in the Title game & well you know...  

We got none of the calls. The kick went wide; and then I cried!

Handy - yes 82-83 was Stan Cloudy's first year - of 2, he was a JUCO transfer.   Starters that year were David Ponce, Greg Downing, Cloudy, Claude Renfro and Hoppen.

The other center on the 81-82 team was Lenard Johnson.  Lenard actually started most of the games in front of Terry Smith.  They were both 6-6.  Terry Smith was bulky and very athletic.  Lenard was not athletic at all - even though he was 6-6 he could barely dunk at all.  Remember sitting in the bleachers during warmups and Jaime Williams from the football team was giving Lenard a bad time challenging him to try to dunk.

4 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Was it Andre Smith who stomped on the Antlers remote truck that bumped in to him during a time out?

I just remeber they had this remote 4x4 like Big Foot truck they would drive around the floor during time outs.  it ran into I think Andre Smith's foot and kind of sat there.  Andre looks down and just stomps it to pieces in like one quick foot plant.

Place goes wild, guys want to kill him, they have to clear off the floor... and some poor college kid is out like what $100 or more.  It was glorious:wub:

What still amazes me is that Andre was 1980 Big 8 Player of the Year, started at Center, and was all of 6'6". The strength, the footwork, the guile and oh those sideburns. For those that never saw him play, he was a LOAD down low, even at 6'6" 

• 3 months later...

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/shatel-nebraska-broadcaster-kent-pavelka-lends-voice-to-the-quest/article_3d651a42-bf02-5cdd-b2d5-6808584df2e5.html

Nice little article from Shatel on our beloved KP.

One thing that I am really going to miss is Kent and Matt on the call.  THey really did have great chemistry together.  

Does anyone know if Jake is going to become full time or will Matt still be able to do some games in the future?

What’s cool about Kent Pavelka in 2018 is that he’s become, well, cool. He’s gone through a bit of a transformation. As Nebraska basketball has received a resurgence since playing at PBA, so, too, has Pavelka.

I've noticed this over the past few years too, and never could put it into words, but I think Shatel paints an accurate picture here.  I've only been listening to Kent 20 years or so, but he has definitely upped the "cool factor"

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:29 PM, Handy Johnson said:

What still amazes me is that Andre was 1980 Big 8 Player of the Year, started at Center, and was all of 6'6". The strength, the footwork, the guile and oh those sideburns. For those that never saw him play, he was a LOAD down low, even at 6'6" 

One of my proudest pick up game moments was in the old coliseum. I was on the team opposite Andre. He went up to grab a rebound off someone on my teams miss. He grabbed it with both hands, holding it over his left shoulder while he looked down court over his right shoulder. I launched all 5'8" of me into the air, poked the ball out of his hands with my right hand and then pushed the ball off the backboard with my left hand for a basket. There were a lot of guys waiting to play and the hooting and hollering after this short white guy took the ball from him was intense. He turned and glared at me and my life actually did pass before my eyes. Then he said "nice play" and slapped me on the back. I almost ended up in the bleachers from the slap. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Red said:

What’s cool about Kent Pavelka in 2018 is that he’s become, well, cool. He’s gone through a bit of a transformation. As Nebraska basketball has received a resurgence since playing at PBA, so, too, has Pavelka.

I've noticed this over the past few years too, and never could put it into words, but I think Shatel paints an accurate picture here.  I've only been listening to Kent 20 years or so, but he has definitely upped the "cool factor"

At first when I reached out to him about the Pavelkatron he was under the impression that we didn't appreciate his work much.  That he's to the point where he occasionally posts on here shows how much that's changed.

On 11/11/2017 at 9:27 PM, Handy Johnson said:

The "Antlers" as the Missouri student section was called, were legendary as grade" A" a**holes, so that story doesn't surprise me.   I remember listening as a Sophomore in High School, STUNNED as Kent almost whispered the last few moments of that game. That was a good Husker squad though that went to the NIT Final Four (the following year) but it WAS Jack Moore's Senior year, RIP as always... 

Antlers were are the kids that don't get in to the frats.  They are a skeleton of what they were after going after a player's (don't remember the team) mom who had just passed away.